+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Do you remember when

I remember the football results as they were coming in over the teleprompter on the BBC on a Saturday afternoon and everyone had to be silent in case my old man missed one of them as he checked off the scores on his pools coupon, woe betide anyone who made a sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanleymag View Post
    Some great one's in there.

I loved Joe 90, Stingray, Thunderbirds, but most of all Captain Scarlet.

Sometimes me Mam would let me stay up to watch the football on Sportsnight.

Happy times.
    Yep, Joe 90 was great and thunderbirds. And as you say, captain Scarlet was definitely up there at the top.
    I'll have to give a mention to the batman and robin at the weekend with Adam West and Burt Ward.

I remember my nana and grandad coming up...my dad's mam and dad and it was a rarity they ever came up. I remembered watching batman at the time and looking at them sat on two dining table chairs put in the front room for them to sit on.
    I noticed how old/ancient they looked to my young eyes.

I had them down at about 90 to 100 ...but seriously they were very old looking like how you expect and old grandad and nana to look.
    It was only in the last 20 years that I thought about that time and I worked out their age from that particular time.
    I think they were both below 60.
    To think how the toil of those times took it toll compared to today's nana's, generally.

And who can remember walking along stood on tin cans and string held in your hands to keep the cans on the soles of your feet?
    Clank clank clank up and down the street.
    If you did that today the neighbours would be signing petitions to have your tin cans confiscated.

When you could play kerbie without having to constantly wait for cars to pass and seemed to get good playing time before one came about.

Going round asking if people wanted odd jobs done and the excitement of getting an odd job then getting paid a pittance but sweety worthwhile...and the excitement of knowing you just earned it.

When the local PC would threaten to put you in the back of his mini estate car or give you a light clip around the lug if you were being cheeky.

The real excitement of Christmas even though you knew you were getting a few presents. You always hoped you'd get the main one you dreamed of and it kept you going for a month or so with that excited belly where every now and again you'd twiddle up your fingers to your brother or mate whilst shouting the name of the present you hoped you would get.
    You couldn't beat the feeling of Christmas in those times.

When getting sent to bed meant being punished, simply because all there was in the room was a bed, or beds considering the size of our family.

Watching my brother get caught smoking and my eldest brother (who was more like a father) making him sit and smoke one after the other from a 20 box of JPS (black box).
    The funny part was, my brother thought it was great as he started smoking the first one...but the second one started to grind him down and he was begging to not be made to have a third.

It didn't work to stop him and in fact just a few years down the line he nicked my eldest brothers car. Took the spare keys.
    It was comical on top of being a bit serious.
    I remember the situation.
    We had these big speakers on each side of the chimney breast (Not on the front). This was the posher times when the eldest brother worked on the rigs and done my mothers house up.

He'd keep his spare keys hanging on the fancy black wrought iron like wall brackets the speakers were on.
    He comes down stairs and looks out of the window to see his pride and joy missing.
    He said " mam, where did I park the car? I thought I'd parked it closer to the house."

My mother said "ahhh it'll be further down the road."
    So he goes outside and comes sort of dancing back in, in a bit of a tizzy. "Mother, me cars been nicked."

He then looks at the bracket and sees his spare keys missing.
    Straight away he shouts, "that little basket has nicked it mother, phone the police."

Luckily the car was found in one piece and our kid and his mate were locked up.
    My eldest bother wanted him hung drawn and quartered with hot tar added after dipping in salt and vinegar, plus a gallon of Jif lemon juice added for good measure. (he was fairly angry) lol

But my mother managed to calm it all down and no real harm done (luckily) except for an empty petrol tank.
    I can't remember what the courts did with that.

Anyway I'm just sharing a few teet bits of my life among the 60's to 70's and so on.
    Last edited by ghostrider; 22-09-2018 at 09:25 AM.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)