+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Roy Ankarah V Ray Famechon Meadow Lane 1952

Roy Ankarah V Ray Famechon Meadow Lane 1952

I follow the fight game which used to be well promoted in Nottingham by Reg King at the old Ice Stadium. One fight he put on was the European featherweight title at Meadow Lane between Ray Famechon the holder and Roy Ankarah in I think 1952. I believe this was the first and last promotion at the 'Lane and although Carl Froch once mentioned he would like to fight at the City ground, I don't think the City ground has ever staged pro boxing there ??

So one up to the 'Lane!

Thought there was a fight at the lane on Saturday...one that we could well do without...

But regarding your point on the boxing match at the lane in the 1950's my dad was a big fight, used to go to the ice-ring whenever there was a bout on... Whenever boxing was on the tv he would sit in his chair, throw and duck every punch very funny to watch...bless him

Quote Originally Posted by seriouspie View Post
    I follow the fight game which used to be well promoted in Nottingham by Reg King at the old Ice Stadium. One fight he put on was the European featherweight title at Meadow Lane between Ray Famechon the holder and Roy Ankarah in I think 1952. I believe this was the first and last promotion at the 'Lane and although Carl Froch once mentioned he would like to fight at the City ground, I don't think the City ground has ever staged pro boxing there ??

So one up to the 'Lane!
    Reg King put on some good fights at the ice stadium in the 70s. I saw the likes of John Conte, Jim Watt, John H Stracey and Maurice Hope fight there and they all went on to be world champions.
    Chris Finnegan also won the European title there beating the German Connie Verlenseck in front of a packed house full of cockneys in a great atmosphere. The Nottingham fighter the late Dave Needham also won the British title against the Irish man Paddy Maguire.
    Happy days, I still have some autographed programmes including the great Joe Louis who was a guest at one promotion.

Quote Originally Posted by HAPPYMAGPIEHAPPY View Post

Newsreel film here (with a glimpse of our old corner scoreboard)..........
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJATH-aQdzU

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Newsreel film here (with a glimpse of our old corner scoreboard)..........
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJATH-aQdzU
    Brilliant!

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    Reg King put on some good fights at the ice stadium in the 70s. I saw the likes of John Conte, Jim Watt, John H Stracey and Maurice Hope fight there and they all went on to be world champions.
    Chris Finnegan also won the European title there beating the German Connie Verlenseck in front of a packed house full of cockneys in a great atmosphere. The Nottingham fighter the late Dave Needham also won the British title against the Irish man Paddy Maguire.
    Happy days, I still have some autographed programmes including the great Joe Louis who was a guest at one promotion.
    Thanks chaps ...... however it looks like I was wrong, a world title fight not a European one.

I do remember Alan Rudkin beating John Cauldwell who was retired with an horrendous gashed eye. Also Hubert Hilton an American black guy who absolutely pulverised our Johnny Prescott in a heavyweight bout. I also seem to remember Cedric Ford (great Notts Fan) telling me that Reg's ambition was to promote British title fights at every weight (only 8 divisions in those days) He nearly did but failed to promote a Heavyweight championship scrap.