+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neutrals' view of Burnley FC

Neutrals' view of Burnley FC

I live about 130 miles from TM and have done for nearly 50 yrs. I'm in my mid-60s and most of my friends are footy fans and affiliated to one team or another. I have a new son-in-law and he and most of his large circle of mates are ST holders at AFC Wimbledon. So I get a different perspective on BFC than many on this and other message boards. These (nearly all) blokes are almost unanimous in:
    They quite like our club
    They think Dyche HAS done an amazing job
    They think we're awful to watch
    They think we play hoofball
    If we're on SKY they usually turn it off
    They think we basically have a squad of Championship- standard players, none of whom would get in another Prem starting eleven and
    It's only a matter of time before we're relegated.

All this usually expressed without a hint of malice or schadenfreude and a genuine desire to see us do well, the bottom-line being "you're a small club, what do you expect?"

Whether we like it or not, that's how it seems most others view us.

I don't think we play hoofball all the time, that apart I very much agree with the rest of it.

Not all our players are Championship standard-some are only League One standard.

Quote Originally Posted by ClaretinBudapest View Post
    Not all our players are Championship standard-some are only League One standard.
    Well that does show how well we did last season, particularly for a small club.

We have been rumbled. SD will now need to show whether he is footballing genius or just a lucky lad whose cover has been blown.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    Well that does show how well we did last season, particularly for a small club.
    To be honest Supersub I think it was more a case of the other teams were really bad especially when we played them such as Palace, Everton and Stoke.However,even then we only won by one goal.The stars really aligned for us last season in more ways than one.
    Dyche always talks about fine margins.In order to keep in front the club should have invested on a par with teams around us.Because of this,I think you will find the fine margins will be against us this season and with better teams the margins will not be fine as seen so far.

We still don't have the rich owners who just throw money at things. We are well down the table as far as that is concerned and even Huddersfield's owner is worth 7 times as much as our owners.
    West Brom were taken over by a guy who is worth 4 billion but were struggling until that takeover and were probably quite willing to sell players but this was halted by this influx of cash.
    We were 19th in last year's list of owners wealth an that was only because the wealth of the Swansea owner was unknown.
    Once you get up to 14th on that list you are talking about owners with billions as opposed to our listing at 57 milllion which, quite frankly, is peanuts.

The answer would seem to be to attract a foreign investor, however, this is not an attractive proposition because we are just a small town club and, according to many people, should not be allowed in the Premier League.
    They will say that they admire us for what we have done, however, they are still thinking that we should not be where we are.
    That is the stark reality and nobody outside of Burnley would shed any tears if we were relegated.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    We still don't have the rich owners who just throw money at things. We are well down the table as far as that is concerned and even Huddersfield's owner is worth 7 times as much as our owners.
    West Brom were taken over by a guy who is worth 4 billion but were struggling until that takeover and were probably quite willing to sell players but this was halted by this influx of cash.
    We were 19th in last year's list of owners wealth an that was only because the wealth of the Swansea owner was unknown.
    Once you get up to 14th on that list you are talking about owners with billions as opposed to our listing at 57 milllion which, quite frankly, is peanuts.

The answer would seem to be to attract a foreign investor, however, this is not an attractive proposition because we are just a small town club and, according to many people, should not be allowed in the Premier League.
    They will say that they admire us for what we have done, however, they are still thinking that we should not be where we are.
    That is the stark reality and nobody outside of Burnley would shed any tears if we were relegated.
    I have banged the drum more than once over encouraging investors.

The rationale for the Benefactor is not ours to worry about.

But so little is known if any such Father Christmas has ever approached the club--as no-one in the know will ever tell you.

But he truth (as far as the majority of fans on this forum is concerned) is that they don't want foreign ownership and would rather watch Burnley in the Conference League.

They may soon get their wish.

But he truth (as far as the majority of fans on this forum is concerned) is that they don't want foreign ownership and would rather watch Burnley in the Conference League.

A bit OTT blueheeler?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post

A bit OTT blueheeler?
    I agree.Probably mid to lower Championship is our financial level.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)