+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Aston Villa Post Match Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    I'm more a statistician than a tactician Biglad but isn't not losing a game the starting point to at least have a chance if winning it? Villa, Leeds and Wigan would at least suggest that over the Brentford experiment. Also, if we are missing 100% of the chances we make then it doesn't matter how many we make until we can afford more quality up top or our incumbents have a change in form or luck.
    CAM, if what you say was true then Villa would have stopped trying to score a goal because they missed ****loads of chances before 1 went in.

My point is more that we do have chances while playing negative so just think what we could do if we really had a go at teams.

Also the Brentford game was the 1st game back in the championship and would have come as a shock to the team who were used to playing in the 1st division so I wouldn't even count that games as anywhere near significant to what would happen after it.

Yes, ignore the Brentford game because it was a one-off experiment. Warne wanted to give the players who got us promoted a chance to show what they could do in the Championship.
    It didn't go very well (!) but the squad is better balanced now and more acclimatised to the Championship.
    Time to have a go from the first whistle and stop showing the opposition far too much respect.

Agree with your posts Mellow. To play a defensive breaking game you have to have a quick lad up front to ensure the opposition has to at least keep two back to mark that player. It looks a division too far for Smith, his horrendous injury has taken any pace that Proctor may have had and Vassell is proving to be very ordinary and not too quick. As you say not having a proper striker may well cost us in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbertop View Post
    Agree with your posts Mellow. To play a defensive breaking game you have to have a quick lad up front to ensure the opposition has to at least keep two back to mark that player. It looks a division too far for Smith, his horrendous injury has taken any pace that Proctor may have had and Vassell is proving to be very ordinary and not too quick. As you say not having a proper striker may well cost us in the end.
    I disagree with all the above about the players mentioned as for me they are more than good enough for the Championship but these players need a formation and style of play that suites them, at the moment apart from the Derby game we have not done that.

Although our home form seems to be good right now I think a lot of it is down to luck rather than design. Other than the Derby game we have played to stay in the game and got lucky by nicking a goal but that luck will desert us before to long and I can see us going on free fall again just like the last time we were here.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456