+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just got back and.....

Just got back and.....

We were battered for 75% of this game and yet somehow won 4-2. We are dreadful at the back and Bristol could have scored twice in the opening 3 minutes. I think Johnson made a save with less than a minute played. We scored good goals but we are living dangerously and our luck will run out eventually. Must say Hoolahan bought some control and urgency to midfield when he came on, and Field did fine.

I wouldn't agree that we were battered for75% of the game but as I've stated on another thread, we have real problems at the back. We were dreadful for the opening 15 minutes but felt then that we took control of the game. What I don't understand is why alter a system that puts you 4-1 up by taking off a striker, Gayle, and adopting a defensive attitude. Surely it's better to continue with an attacking approach that has put you three goals up in the first place. Is that too simplistic?

Yes, coaches are given badges to complicate things. Football is a simple game five year olds can understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Leicesterbaggie View Post
    I wouldn't agree that we were battered for75% of the game but as I've stated on another thread, we have real problems at the back. We were dreadful for the opening 15 minutes but felt then that we took control of the game. What I don't understand is why alter a system that puts you 4-1 up by taking off a striker, Gayle, and adopting a defensive attitude. Surely it's better to continue with an attacking approach that has put you three goals up in the first place. Is that too simplistic?
    We weren't batterd for 75% of the game but our defence comes under to much pressure because of the lack of a strong midfield , we panic boot the ball up field it will always come back no matter who you play , must agree with Joy above , Hoolahan's little cameo coming on as sub got us over the line cool in possession & didn't give the ball away i thought Dawson played more like his old self as well ,

Strange how people see things differently. In my opinion we had a purple 15-20 minutes when we scored three in the first half. Could have gone 4 up just after halftime but for the rest of the time in the first half and most of the second we were under the cosh and for me looked like we were desperate for the game to end. When they made it 3-1 Bristol were racing back to the half way line because I think they really felt they could get something out of the game. As for Dawson myself and those around me thought he had a bit of a mare. Still it all comes down to opinions.

Still disagree with you regarding a battering for 75% of the game but totally agree with you regarding Dawson. I have been a big fan of his in the past but have to admit that he is a shadow of his former self. I advocated at the start of the season that we move him to the centre of our defence and make him captan. However, he has been poor all season and not lived up to his previous standards. As we are not au fais with what goes on in the dressing room and behind the scenes and can only surmise, but he does appear disinterested and not fully committed. I sincerely hope that he can overcome this as we need a fully focussed Craig Dawson to bolster a, what is at the present moment, very vulnerable defence.

I thought at the start of the season, like you, offer him the captaincy and make him see that he is an intergral part of what the club is gonna try and do. So when I heard last night that he was captain with Brunt being dropped I thought it would really gee him up after a poor game against Blues. But he seemed lethargic to me. Maybe, being his first game as captain that his performance was due to him being a little unsure and nervous with the new responsibility. Hope he settles into now and we see the player we know he can be.

Thought Gareth Barry made a difference too, composure in midfield, intelligent passing. Dawson, Hegazi and Bartley shocking.

Quote Originally Posted by Leicesterbaggie View Post
    Still disagree with you regarding a battering for 75% of the game but totally agree with you regarding Dawson. I have been a big fan of his in the past but have to admit that he is a shadow of his former self. I advocated at the start of the season that we move him to the centre of our defence and make him captan. However, he has been poor all season and not lived up to his previous standards. As we are not au fais with what goes on in the dressing room and behind the scenes and can only surmise, but he does appear disinterested and not fully committed. I sincerely hope that he can overcome this as we need a fully focussed Craig Dawson to bolster a, what is at the present moment, very vulnerable defence.
    Hello LB, Dawson’s standards haven’t dropped at all from where I stand.

The difference from before is he’s playing in a system which exposes his weaknesses as opposed to one accentuating his strengths. The TP system masked his poor technique on the ball and questionable decision making at the higher level by asking very little of him as a full back.

He was essentially employed to block wide players and provide an aerial threat at set pieces, both of which he did effectively on the whole. That was pretty much it, do A and B but never C. Likewise, Pardew didn’t appear to ask him to do much if anything differently beyond the odd forward gallop behind whoever played in front of him.

Over the final games in the Prem’ under Darren Moore he looked better as a centre half in open play than he actually is (in my opinion) because of the deep lying block in front of him. As for his application at set pieces then as stated he’s always been stronger heading the ball than playing it with his feet.

Similarly, he’s always been prone to being caught flat footed and somewhat befuddled in the face of pace and movement. In real terms nothing has changed in his game beyond his short comings becoming more transparent in an attackingly attractive yet defensively unforgiving formation.

While the game’s about opinions, previous calls for him to be included in the England squad left me shaking my head; something which I’ve posted about previously. When on song he can be extremely effective and I respect his in game application, but for the moment at least (like our other centre halves) he appears well out of his comfort zone.

Time will tell as to whether we get away with it (or he adapts) over the course of a season, all be it at a lower level.
    Last edited by Albionic68; 19-09-2018 at 12:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Albionic68 View Post
    Hello LB, Dawson’s standards haven’t dropped at all from where I stand.

The difference from before is he’s playing in a system which exposes his weaknesses as opposed to one accentuating his strengths. The TP system masked his poor technique on the ball and questionable decision making at the higher level by asking very little of him as a full back.

He was essentially employed to block wide players and provide an aerial threat at set pieces, both of which he did effectively on the whole. That was pretty much it, do A and B but never C. Likewise, Pardew didn’t appear to ask him to do much if anything differently beyond the odd forward gallop behind whoever played in front of him.

Over the final games in the Prem’ under Darren Moore he looked better as a centre half in open play than he actually is (in my opinion) because of the deep lying block in front of him. As for his application at set pieces then as stated he’s always been stronger heading the ball than playing it with his feet.

Similarly, he’s always been prone to being caught flat footed and somewhat befuddled in the face of pace and movement. In real terms nothing has changed in his game beyond his short comings becoming more transparent in an attackingly attractive yet defensively unforgiving formation.

While the game’s about opinions, previous calls for him to be included in the England squad left me shaking my head; something which I’ve posted about previously. When on song he can be extremely effective and I respect his in game application, but for the moment at least (like our other centre halves) he appears well out of his comfort zone.

Time will tell as to whether we get away with it (or he adapts) over the course of a season, all be it at a lower level.
    Good post 68 i agree with you on most acounts i did think Dawson's passing against Blues was awful but definitely not last night.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)