+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Players who went on to prove the doubters wrong

Players who went on to prove the doubters wrong

...or, alternatively, players who made you change your mind about them.

Just watching James Milner after another cracking performance (at 32 as well, mind!) and Gary Lineker was apologising for tweeting a while back about not knowing what Milner was as a player.

Have to admit to feeling the same about him at times when he was here. Now he's an important part of the best/equal best/second best? team in the country and one of Europe's best teams.

Anyone else surprised you about how well they've done after leaving one club for another or while playing for the same team?

I put that last bit in because of Warren Barton. Ffs, man-he was booed when his name was read out over the tannoy in his first season! But after a while he really began to win people over and became a (sort of) favourite.

As for a player who's left, when Danny Simpson was here, he was one I thought we needed to upgrade if we wanted to progress so when he left, I was, like 'meh'. Then he goes and wins a Premier League winners' medal.

Sod.

Anyone else made you eat your words?

I remember when we signed Gary Speed RIP from Everton he was really poor for a good few games at the start and he got some boos. Played on the left from what I remember, switched into the middle and bang!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstonbob1 View Post
    I remember when we signed Gary Speed RIP from Everton he was really poor for a good few games at the start and he got some boos. Played on the left from what I remember, switched into the middle and bang!
    I too thought that about Gary Speed to begin with but it wasn't long until I appreciated his game. Same went for David Batty when he was a Leeds. I cringed at first when we signed him but he quickly became a crowd favourite.

Josel......

Sorry!

Will not happen!

Frank Clark

Chrissy Waddle,it was like "who"
    Then when I first saw him run,it was if his left leg was where the right one should be..
    The rest is history..

Quote Originally Posted by ashingtoon62 View Post
    Chrissy Waddle,it was like "who"
    Then when I first saw him run,it was if his left leg was where the right one should be..
    The rest is history..
    He still talks like his left leg is where his right leg should be though.

Jon Dahl Tomasson

Quote Originally Posted by waalsendmick View Post
    Josel......

Sorry!

Will not happen!
    You never know your rotten luck Mick.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherTerryMac View Post
    Jon Dahl Tomasson
    Good shout..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)