+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FA Cup

Hartlepool are through , JUST sez Jeff Stelling

Quote Originally Posted by Romared View Post
    Hartlepool are through , JUST sez Jeff Stelling
    Through none the less. Wouldnt mind them Roma. Me n' Laura had a drink with a few monkey hangers watching Leeds v Middlesbrough when we stopped at Grand in Scarborough. Good set of lads.

Apart from lager farts one of em' kept doing coz he'd ad' nowt t' ate all day

Quote Originally Posted by Romared View Post
    Nobut Marine are
    Marine got knocked out by Salford City yesterday TFFT

Then it's Salford away first round

Oh come on it's got Blackpool away written all over it AGAIN..........

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Away to FC Romania would be interesting on many levels !!!

Whitley Bay would be good but not Cleethorpes Town so much .

Proper FA cup is the 1st round for me , which reminds me are Altrincham still in the competition ?
    Agree. These days the competition seems to devalue as the rounds progress unless a minnow goes far. This is where it's at for me. We had Rochdale last season, Lincoln the year before and so on. Love the first and second rounds watching clubs for who it means everything to progress and it could be them in the limelight. Tha can see the passion clearly there whereas when the championship and premiership teams come in tha sees aif empty stadiums and second string teams. It's crap to watch if I'm honest and such a shame. Give me a cup tie with two committed lower end teams and a passionate crowd anyday, that's where the romance is for me because it casts my mind back to my younger days watching us in the cup.

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    Agree. These days the competition seems to devalue as the rounds progress unless a minnow goes far. This is where it's at for me. We had Rochdale last season, Lincoln the year before and so on. Love the first and second rounds watching clubs for who it means everything to progress and it could be them in the limelight. Tha can see the passion clearly there whereas when the championship and premiership teams come in tha sees aif empty stadiums and second string teams. It's crap to watch if I'm honest and such a shame. Give me a cup tie with two committed lower end teams and a passionate crowd anyday, that's where the romance is for me because it casts my mind back to my younger days watching us in the cup.
    You say that Pass but how many fans did we get when we played Chester at home. It wasn't a sell out was it? I went when we battered Burton and there was hardly any atmosphere then either.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponte_Steve24 View Post
    You say that Pass but how many fans did we get when we played Chester at home. It wasn't a sell out was it? I went when we battered Burton and there was hardly any atmosphere then either.
    Am talkin abart late 80s early 90s mate when I first used to watch em rather than in recent years. Wid get 6/7k forra league match back then and almost double that for any FA cup game at Oakwell. We used to tek thousands away in cup anorl because it meant summat, a dream that captures the imagination. We took a couple o thousand all way darn to Plymouth in January 1994 forra 4th round tie, it might have been more actually. 6 thousand to stoke in '88 forra 4th round tie, back then they were unbelievable followings for a club like us. If Plymouth was a league fixture back then it'd have been 300 hardy souls making that trip. Away at Stoke we'd probably take a thousand to 1500 tops. Just a couple of examples there of not what you'd call 'glamourous fixtures' to help emphasize my point.

The mentality has changed now. Football supporters from the turn of the millennium can't associate themselves with the fa cup like the other generations can and that includes us. It's just the way it's gone unfortunately. However, when I watch a game like Warrington town v Exeter for instance in the 1st round I see passion and meaning involved, the same dreams and imagination that I remember from my experiences as a kid, i can certainly relate to it.

Tha reyt theer Pass , Next Setdi opponents Bristol Rovers brort thousands t Well , all singin Delilah did mi earrd in but great atmosphere , i think we wun 4-1 ? That Plymouth game sumdi up Cudeth wa trying to organise a plane (Dards Pub ) it nivva gorroff grarnd tho ( gud eh) went ont coach took a fotnit booarth rooards , gimme early rarnds anyday , a dunt watch it when alt big clubs join in, unless weer laiking, we due a good cup run arnt wi
    get ya rosettes n rattles art and bring back the memories
    a wunda if bromsgrove ev still gorra teeum ? Most embarrassing win forrus in Cup av seen
    Last edited by Romared; 22-10-2018 at 02:31 PM.

Just watched a couple of F.A Cup wins from the 92/93 season on youtube. Leicester and West Ham some cracking goals.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast