+ Visit Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Douglas Hotel Gig Recollections/ Scottish Gig Venues no Longer with us

Douglas Hotel Gig Recollections/ Scottish Gig Venues no Longer with us

Does anybody have any recollections of gigs at the Douglas Hotel? I just missed it due to my young age at the time...Or indeed a thread for any recollections of gig venues around Scotland that no longer exist...

My interest piqued at the moment because I'm reading Life After Dark: A History of British Nightclubs & Music Venues by Dave Haslam and there is no mention of Aberdeen and few of Scotland in general...

Don't remember the Douglas being linked with anything I would want to go and see.

Ruffles on a Tuesday night is the biggest miss.

Thanks Hass min.

All the University stages that won't be there anymore.

The Union
    Central Ref
    Do' School
    T.C. in Hilton
    Last edited by donsdaft; 20-09-2018 at 01:22 PM.

The Venue roon the back of the Douglas. Stickiest carpets in toon, quines hauling doon their pants and squatting ower the urinals in the mannies' lavvies when there was too much of a queue in the wifies', getting in for nothing, if Murray, one of oor drivers, was on the door..

Martin Stephnson and the Daintees.
    The Q-Tips.
    Jack Brice.
    Frankie ****ing Miller
    Rory Gallagher at least twice
    Gil Scot-Heron twice
    The Hothouse Flowers just before they hit big time.
    Mike Scott fae The Waterboys in Another Pretty Face
    Bo Diddley, or wis that the Palace?

Ruffles?

Two Tone tour Nov 79 (Selecter, Madness, Specials, just two ****ing days before Dexys replaced Madness who'd signed to Stiff). Fire regulations totally ignored with over 600 in that night.
    Penetration
    Gang of Four
    The Red Crayola
    Delta 5

A couple from my youth that are no longer with us:

Drakes (downstairs La Lombarda), Dr. Drakes (Ship Row) and Lava / Kef (Belmont Street).

https://eduncovered.com/10-aberdeen-...ber-2014-07-08

Quote Originally Posted by 57vintage View Post
    The Venue roon the back of the Douglas. Stickiest carpets in toon, quines hauling doon their pants and squatting ower the urinals in the mannies' lavvies when there was too much of a queue in the wifies', getting in for nothing, if Murray, one of oor drivers, was on the door..

Martin Stephnson and the Daintees.
    The Q-Tips.
    Jack Brice.
    Frankie ****ing Miller
    Rory Gallagher at least twice
    Gil Scot-Heron twice
    The Hothouse Flowers just before they hit big time.
    Mike Scott fae The Waterboys in Another Pretty Face
    Bo Diddley, or wis that the Palace?

Ruffles?

Two Tone tour Nov 79 (Selecter, Madness, Specials, just two ****ing days before Dexys replaced Madness who'd signed to Stiff). Fire regulations totally ignored with over 600 in that night.
    Penetration
    Gang of Four
    The Red Crayola
    Delta 5
    Oh did The Red Crayola play Aberdeen? I think Spaceman 3 covered them and Sonic Boom remastered one of their albums...So the played Ruffles?

Whereabouts was Ruffles again? I think that I should know this but I can't remember....when did it close?

Quote Originally Posted by Skacel View Post
    A couple from my youth that are no longer with us:

Drakes (downstairs La Lombarda), Dr. Drakes (Ship Row) and Lava / Kef (Belmont Street).

https://eduncovered.com/10-aberdeen-...ber-2014-07-08
    Aye I was in Drakes a couple of times...might have seen the local band The Needles there but can't remember for sure...

Your link reminds off the top of head:
    Sultans of Ping @ The Union 1994
    Gun @ Bob's 1994
    Napalm Death @ Lava Nov 2001 (1st gig post 9/11)
    The Fall @ Glow 303 2000 (so Glow 303 must have changed to Lava around 2000/2001)
    Scottish *** Pistols @ Memphis 1993
    Dead Kennedy's @ Forum 2002
    Major Matt Mason @ The Music Club 2008

Crap gigs really but the venues (or in some cases the names) have been resigned to history

[QUOTE=57vintage;39018985]The Venue roon the back of the Douglas. Stickiest carpets in toon, quines hauling doon their pants and squatting ower the urinals in the mannies' lavvies when there was too much of a queue in the wifies', getting in for nothing, if Murray, one of oor drivers, was on the door..

The Q-Tips.

Was at that gig. Great show with a youthful Paul Young, they did a really good version of Some Kinda Wonderful if I mind right.

Frequented The Venue a fair bit in the late 80's.

Saw Rory Gallagher there just the once.

The Fall
    The Primitives (Tracy )
    The Bhundu Boys
    That Petrol Emotion (missed the support The Close Lobsters but somehow ended up in their dressing room drinking their beer and telling them how much I enjoyed their set.)
    The Pastels
    Blues 'n' Trouble more than once
    Jesus and Mary Chain
    There will have been more

Indie disco on weekends there were no gigs.

Sticky floors right enough. Honking warm Red Stripe.

Lost my original Dons scarf there one night on the way home from Easter Road (1-1 18/10/1986 according to afc heritage)

The Wedding Present do a cracking cover of the Close Lobsters ‘Lets Make Some Plams’

Ruffles was in Diamond Street, next doir to the Cosmo Cinema, opposite 1-Up.
    Hass Serehsky owned it.
    It burned doon.
    Coincidentally, more than one of Hass’s properties in town went the same way.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast