+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: An Evening with Kevin Nolan:

I've noted a distinct lack of anyone saying what was said, I suspect nothing controversial was said or nobody bothered going?

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    I've noted a distinct lack of anyone saying what was said, I suspect nothing controversial was said or nobody bothered going?

Apparently Kev was sweetness and light throughout:

First part, took us through his footie career from 16yo. Second part, through his football end on to Management career. (Joined on stage by Thommo). Quite clear that he LOVED working at Notts. Abundantly clear that he was 'building' his team for the future, including youngsters. Appreciated AC and wanted to keep him and MO'C. Didn't think we could afford to let that experience go. Clearly upset he didn't get to finish what he started. Completed on his home here, four days AFTER he was sacked. Staying in Nott'm now. Will 'speak' of his capabilities from the dugout in the future. Thanked AH and respects him for giving him opportunity to Manage. Classy night throughout.

Doesn't look a well man in those pictures.

Compare that with shortly after his appointment last year.

Name:  notts-county-kevin-nolan-skysports-new-manager_3868863.jpg
Views: 2972
Size:  53.9 KB

Whatever mistakes he made as manager, and a link to his health is perhaps quite likely, on a human level it's sad to see.

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post

First part, took us through his footie career from 16yo. Second part, through his football end on to Management career. (Joined on stage by Thommo). Quite clear that he LOVED working at Notts. Abundantly clear that he was 'building' his team for the future, including youngsters. Appreciated AC and wanted to keep him and MO'C. Didn't think we could afford to let that experience go. Clearly upset he didn't get to finish what he started. Completed on his home here, four days AFTER he was sacked. Staying in Nott'm now. Will 'speak' of his capabilities from the dugout in the future. Thanked AH and respects him for giving him opportunity to Manage. Classy night throughout.
    If he was left to finish the job he would have relegated us. The football at times was dire. Picking your cronies does not win football matches..

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    If he was left to finish the job he would have relegated us. The football at times was dire. Picking your cronies does not win football matches..
    The only rumours I hear are from posters on NM and if some of these rumours are true it would seem that Nolan had his clique and would not budge. This, of course, would breed resentment from non-clique members who could see no point in pulling their guts out, trying their hardest on the field while others didn't appear to be trying so hard, cruising, as it were, seemingly knowing their position was safe. Whether the players in his gang were good players or bad is immaterial - we all have our opinions on which was which - but if these rumours are true it would certainly lead to dressing room disruption and a loss of confidence in the manager, especially from the newer players. It's a common error made with the best of intentions among managers new to the job - but they don't last long.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Bad_Bob View Post

Whatever mistakes he made as manager, and a link to his health is perhaps quite likely, on a human level it's sad to see.
    Agree with you Bob. His face is showing clear signs of dependence on something, be it ale or others. His eyes are like p*****s in the snow.

Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post
    The only rumours I hear are from posters on NM and if some of these rumours are true it would seem that Nolan had his clique and would not budge. This, of course, would breed resentment from non-clique members who could see no point in pulling their guts out, trying their hardest on the field while others didn't appear to be trying so hard, cruising, as it were, seemingly knowing their position was safe. Whether the players in his gang were good players or bad is immaterial - we all have our opinions on which was which - but if these rumours are true it would certainly lead to dressing room disruption and a loss of confidence in the manager, especially from the newer players. It's a common error made with the best of intentions among managers new to the job - but they don't last long.
    Excellent post Laxton... I play Sunday league over here in rainy Ireland and the manager has his clique... no matter how bad they play they never get dropped as they are his drinking buddies... obviously nothing to do with professional football but seems to be the case at Notts under KN.

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post

Quite clear that he LOVED working at Notts. Abundantly clear that he was 'building' his team for the future, including youngsters. Appreciated AC and wanted to keep him and MO'C. Didn't think we could afford to let that experience go. Clearly upset he didn't get to finish what he started.
    I would be immensely surprised if Alan Hardy forced Nolan to let Collin and O'Connor go. Far more likely, I believe, is that he gave Nolan a choice to the effect that he could either invest substantial funds in signing the likes of Enzio and Kristian Dennis, or pay O'Connor and Collin the money required to keep them, but the club budget wouldn't stretch to doing both. If I'm right, then the responsibility lies with Nolan and the choices he made. I'm sure in an ideal world Nolan would have liked to have all of those players available, but that's not how it works in the financial reality of the lower leagues, and therefore it's the either/or decisions you make which demonstrate your managerial ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Bad_Bob View Post

I agree. I think Kevin Nolan is a likeable character, down to earth, passionate and wore his heart on his sleeve.

We only know as supporters how stressful it is supporting Notts so it must be a hundred times worse when you are the Manager.

Part of me thinks that us missing out on automatic promotion and losing the playoffs hit him really hard. I remember how gutted he was in the interviews afterwards.

Regardless of what people think of his managerial abilities I hope he takes this time away from football to relax, enjoy time with his family and wish him good health.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post
    I agree. I think Kevin Nolan is a likeable character, down to earth, passionate and wore his heart on his sleeve.

We only know as supporters how stressful it is supporting Notts so it must be a hundred times worse when you are the Manager.

Part of me thinks that us missing out on automatic promotion and losing the playoffs hit him really hard. I remember how gutted he was in the interviews afterwards.

Regardless of what people think of his managerial abilities I hope he takes this time away from football to relax, enjoy time with his family and wish him good health.
    Yes, he seemed genuine and likeable enough and tried hard to make Notts progress. Just a pity he lost the plot in January and never regained his initial impetus.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast