+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What now for Brexit?

Alto, I fail to see any advantage of doing something that hurts both parties just to make a petty point.

I really think a lot of hard Brexiteers are self harmers.

I see your point 59/60

But I don't see the point of pandering to THEIR procedure when we have voted to leave, being told what we can and cannot have is out of order IMO, I cannot see all the other members not wanting to do business with us, and if they don't want to do that business there is another 80% of the world we can deal with more on OUR terms, maybe not really on our terms but not being held to ransom which seems what is happening, and I can tell you 59/60, it is really P!ssing me off big time the way we are being made to look feeble by this shower of unelected, self serving EU bigots.

I can see your point too Alto.

But, as someone said this week, this is not a divorce, it is us deciding to leave a club - and expecting the club to change their rules to suit us.
    If you were the chairman of the club then you wouldn't/couldn't allow this to happen.

We have told them we are leaving. Fair enough. But do you really expect us to get special treatment over the rest of the members who are signed up to the customs union, free movement etc.etc?

It's like leaving a bowling club but expecting to be allowed to continue to play, for less membership fees and be able to bring our mates along.

Look at it from their side Alto, If you were in charge, and, say, France wanted to leave but to retain many benefits without any of the responsibility, would you allow it? what would your other members think?

If we simply want to leave then fair enough. But don't expect them to change their rules to suit us in doing so.

It really is simple in my mind 59/60

We come out of the EU, No trade agreements, No Free movement, any Brits already living in the EU allowed to remain, any EU subjects currently living in the UK allowed to stay, that is fair and simple.

We are one of the biggest contributes, yet we purchase more than we sell to them, we go elsewhere for our goods, like I said we will both hurt in the short term but I'm sure the EU will soon come down from their lofty perch and come looking for a deal, its too much for them to lose, its not playing tit for tat, its leaving which is what this Country voted for, not some red tape bollox Theresa May and especially the EU are faffing around with.

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post
    Alto, I fail to see any advantage of doing something that hurts both parties just to make a petty point.
    Unfortunately May still hasn't grasped that the EU is perfectly prepared to damage their own economies, along with ours, to make a political point and 'encourager les autres'. She seemed to think that she was dealing with reasonable, rational people, she isn't, as many of us have known all along, but I'm not sure the penny has dropped for her even yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    Hey you ---I'm off to Spain, France, Italy and Portugal on Saturday and with no border problems it should be OK.
    I look forward to doing the same next year when you will even need to go through a border crossing to get into Northern Ireland, never mind Europe. I look forward to the good old days we used to have coming home on leave from Germany, particularly when travelling from Calais ---queue up at the Dutch/german border, then at the Dutch/Belgium border followed by the Belgium/France border and then in the reverse order coming back except for queueing at the French post --happy days.
    Done it myself Supersub.All the way to Turkey in a HGV.Stopping at every border and back then they even started adding borders.From Czech to Slovak Republic then another 5 border crossings in the old Yugoslavia.Funnily enough it seemed OK at the time and the pace of life was much more laid back.

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post
    I can see your point too Alto.

But, as someone said this week, this is not a divorce, it is us deciding to leave a club - and expecting the club to change their rules to suit us.
    If you were the chairman of the club then you wouldn't/couldn't allow this to happen.

We have told them we are leaving. Fair enough. But do you really expect us to get special treatment over the rest of the members who are signed up to the customs union, free movement etc.etc?

It's like leaving a bowling club but expecting to be allowed to continue to play, for less membership fees and be able to bring our mates along.

Look at it from their side Alto, If you were in charge, and, say, France wanted to leave but to retain many benefits without any of the responsibility, would you allow it? what would your other members think?

If we simply want to leave then fair enough. But don't expect them to change their rules to suit us in doing so.
    Spot on 59/60, a better argument for what you would call a 'hard Brexit' couldn't be made. It's the 'soft Brexiters' like virtually the entire political class and establishment who want us half in and half out, cherry picking the bits they like.

Quote Originally Posted by ClaretinBudapest View Post
    Done it myself Supersub.All the way to Turkey in a HGV.Stopping at every border and back then they even started adding borders.From Czech to Slovak Republic then another 5 border crossings in the old Yugoslavia.Funnily enough it seemed OK at the time and the pace of life was much more laid back.
    I went by train to Milan in 1965 to watch the European Cup Final at the San Siro. It was long before we were in the EU, every now and then a customs officer came down the train checking passports, it all seemed perfectly civilised and normal, no worries for me if we go back to something similar.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Spot on 59/60, a better argument for what you would call a 'hard Brexit' couldn't be made. It's the 'soft Brexiters' like virtually the entire political class and establishment who want us half in and half out, cherry picking the bits they like.
    It was always going to be like this Sinkov.

People like Boris etc who told us that we would get a better deal than if we stayed in because "they need us more than we need them" are now proving to have misled many who voted for Brexit.

It was obvious that the EU would not give us a better deal than those who remain as full members. But people actually believed that this would be the case and are now blaming the EU.

Only two options now. Leave with no deal or remain.

And only the people can decide this.

We have already decided 1959_60. We voted to leave.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)