+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T: The Iron Lady

O/T: The Iron Lady

Dear all,

I was just watching The Iron Lady. Decent enough film, but what struck me in particular was how in one way Thatcher was a revolutionary for standing up the patriarchy and making her own way to the top, and on the other hand how she seemed quite cold and (some would say) greedy in a way. Add stubborn to that.

I was living in London when she passed away and I don't think I've ever seen such a divided reaction to the death of a leader of a nation. I remember her supporters in the street for her (expensive) funeral, I remember the protesters and the supporters protesting against the protesters in turn. I remember some extremely aggresive farewell songs coming from the Brixton area ("The c*nt is dead" etc.), and people almost cheering like they had just won the lottery or something similar.

I realise I may have started an avalanche with this thread; that is not the intention. I am simply very interested to your thoughts - as brits - on what made people strongly like and strongly dislike her? I know about the Falklands and about the miner's strike so I have an idea, but just interested to hear your take on it.

Peace.

Horrible woman that got away with murder as far as I am concerned.I am not just talking about the miners either.
    I have family in the Stoke area.My cousins best mate was a bit of a tearaway in his younger days.He was taken from his family in the mid 80s and placed in a childrens home for a while.When he was in there he was a victim of "pindown".One of Thatchers initiatives.Locked in a room for days with basic food.Horrible,horrible witch that should of been held accountable for issues such as this.He still suffers with the memory of it now.
    My Dad hated the woman.So was fitting that when he raised a glass at her death I joined him.

what the fu#k has that wall eyed cow got to do with Newcastle United ffs

Quote Originally Posted by Byker Mag View Post
    you are allowed to talk about things other than nufc - although that is the primary objective

To be fair it was a thread started as off topic.

Almost as bad as her protégé Blair.

Quote Originally Posted by Kal View Post
    Almost as bad as her protégé Blair.
    Aye.The Tory in a Labour coat.

Nothing to do with NUFC but when we had the old board we had a separate section for off topic (non football) discussion where anything could be discussed and argued. This was disbanded when the board was revamped hence the reason for posters titling a post O/T

As to the thread's title I thought she was over rated by a weak Tory government which included a few rational fair members, likes of Hesseltine and Howe etc. This section was kept down by the right wing of their party so she was literally allowed to get away with murder.

She was a very lucky woman, and I deliberately don't use the word lady, not to be made accountable for her numerous mistakes often made because of vanity and stupid stubborness.

Quote Originally Posted by Geordie1974 View Post
    Horrible woman that got away with murder as far as I am concerned.I am not just talking about the miners either.
    I have family in the Stoke area.My cousins best mate was a bit of a tearaway in his younger days.He was taken from his family in the mid 80s and placed in a childrens home for a while.When he was in there he was a victim of "pindown".One of Thatchers initiatives.Locked in a room for days with basic food.Horrible,horrible witch that should of been held accountable for issues such as this.He still suffers with the memory of it now.
    My Dad hated the woman.So was fitting that when he raised a glass at her death I joined him.
    I'm sorry to hear about your cousins best mate. Sounds horrible.

Nothing. It's off topic = O/T. Feel free not to participate in the discussion.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)