+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mowatt one of players offered a new deal

Quote Originally Posted by EastStandRed View Post
    Barnsley chief executive Gauthier Ganaye says work is ongoing at Oakwell to retain and recruit players in order to sustain the club’s promotion push and prepare for the future.

Ganaye announced at the start of September that contract offers had been made to several players whose deals will run out at the end of the season and others who the club want to tie down on a longer-term basis. Alex Mowatt has been offered a new deal while the others out of contract in 2019 include Adam Davies, Adam Jackson, George Moncur and Ryan Hedges. First choice right-back Dimitri Cavare’s contract officially ends next summer but the club have the option to extend it for another year.

Ganaye told the Chronicle: “It’s still ongoing. Obviously it takes a bit of time. We are only in September so some of them are waiting to see how the team is performing or if they are getting gametime. The ball is in their court and I hope we will have good news.”

Mowatt has been one of the stars of the season in central midfield, having been loaned out to Oxford United last season with the Reds expecting to sell him until head coach Daniel Stendel intervened. Ganaye said: “Someone like Alex Mowatt has been performing above our expectations so our plans have changed. We have offered him a deal and I think it would be the right thing for both parties if he signed it.”

Barnsley were criticised for not tying down the 2016 promotion team to longer contracts which led to almost all of them leaving within two years. Ganaye wants to avoid a repeat, saying: “That is why we started to discuss with them in the summer, after Daniel (Stendel, the head coach) gave us his views on everybody. We have started doing it at the right time so hopefully we won’t end up in the same situation again.”
    If the players offered new deals do not sign, they could be sold in January to avoid losing them for free next summer. He said: “When a player has 12 months left, you can either let the deal run out and lose the player for nothing, try to give him a new contract or sell him in January. Our January plans will be changed by the negotiations because, if players don’t want to stay, we may sell them depending on the situation.”

Ganaye added that there are detailed plans in place for every position if new recruits are needed. He said: “We are always working one or two windows ahead. We are prepared for anything, like when Tom Bradshaw left and we had Cauley Woodrow ready to come in. We don’t know yet if we will recruit in January, but we have plans in place if we want to.”

One player who Ganaye says will not be joining the club is Adam Hammill. The Reds legend, 30, was released at the end of last season then held talks about a return. Barnsley usually only sign players aged 25 or under.

Ganaye said: “Adam doesn’t fit the usual criteria for our recruitment but, because he is Adam Hammill, we have been in touch with him during the summer. We took a decision with the club and with Daniel that it wasn’t right to bring him back. It wasn’t easy because he’s a great character and there are emotions involved. But the best decision is not always the easiest.”

Overall, Ganaye is delighted with the start to the season under German Stendel, even though a seven-match unbeaten run was ended by a 1-0 loss at Coventry City on Saturday. He said: “Hiring a new manager then having such a good start to the season is very satisfying. He’s picked up English very quickly, he’s very popular with the fans and with the employees of the club. It’s a good start to the season, even with the first loss. I didn’t miss the losing feeling so it still wasn’t nice. It was going to happen at some point but hopefully it doesn’t happen again for a long time.”

No plans to sign anybody in January??? The squad is waffer thin, we have hired a ward in barnsley general and anybody who plays well I.e Moore is waving good bye in January. But don't worry guys we have all our scouts around the country on Sunday morning looking for up and coming players. Us as fans wants us to be a successful club but GG and co see us as a business and when the player sales dry up and the land is build on Chien and his gang will be looking for there next venture. Why did the other clubs turn them down, well that's slowly becoming clear.... they had ambition and this crew want to suck us dry and move on. If they had other idea's for us then we would have spent in January and brought in a manager to get us out of the bottom 5 but oh no they brought in a guy who well we all know and who we didn't have to pay for and wouldn't have had a large wage. Then GG said we signed Woodrow to replace Bradshaw but why not sign Woodrow and keep Bradshaw again it's lack of ambition. Ok Bradshaw wanted to leave but he was under contract and he was out of contract at the end of the season but where was the signings. This consortium has been is charge for nearly a year and we have heard nothing about their plans. I hope I am wrong I really am but the signs are not good.

I'm happy to keep my powder dry until January , January is where this season is at for me .

I can deal with the bullshyte because I know with bullshyte there is always a judgement day .

There is always a point where it is exposed , nobody can bullshyte for ever , the very reason they feel the need to bullshyte is to hide the real intentions .

I've read tonight we have the second wealthiest owners in the entire EFL collectively , we are in league one .

If we can't knock bids back in January and keep on course for the ultimate goal of championship football with the backing we have as a third tier club then the prominent posters on BBS may as well own the club .

Feckin hell we ain't asking for much ffs .

Quote Originally Posted by Kevthetyke View Post
    No plans to sign anybody in January??? The squad is waffer thin, we have hired a ward in barnsley general and anybody who plays well I.e Moore is waving good bye in January. But don't worry guys we have all our scouts around the country on Sunday morning looking for up and coming players. Us as fans wants us to be a successful club but GG and co see us as a business and when the player sales dry up and the land is build on Chien and his gang will be looking for there next venture. Why did the other clubs turn them down, well that's slowly becoming clear.... they had ambition and this crew want to suck us dry and move on. If they had other idea's for us then we would have spent in January and brought in a manager to get us out of the bottom 5 but oh no they brought in a guy who well we all know and who we didn't have to pay for and wouldn't have had a large wage. Then GG said we signed Woodrow to replace Bradshaw but why not sign Woodrow and keep Bradshaw again it's lack of ambition. Ok Bradshaw wanted to leave but he was under contract and he was out of contract at the end of the season but where was the signings. This consortium has been is charge for nearly a year and we have heard nothing about their plans. I hope I am wrong I really am but the signs are not good.
    Spot on Kev.

No plans to sign anybody in January???
    He said they have plans in place if they want to sign players in January

Why did the other clubs turn them down, well that's slowly becoming clear.....
    The other clubs didn’t turn them down, they walked away from Hull when the Allams put the price up to £40m to £120m when other buyers showed an interest. All the interested buyers walked away then.

According to a Brentford fan I know their big yearly losses and the need for a new stadium put them off investing plus the owner wanted to keep control himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Nozzer1953 View Post
    If the players don't sign a new contract then I expect the club to sell them, and bring other players in. I think Mowatt will sign. Not bothered if Moncur, McGheehan don't sign
    They’ve been clear about this since buying the club that they liked the business model of Patrick Crynes and will continue to run the club this way being self sustainable through player trading. I’m personally ok with this and wouldn’t like to see the club saddled with debts which is what most rich owners do when they pretend to spend their own money on daft wages and transfer fees but usually they are just loans to the clubs.

Don’t understand why some fans expected different when they clearly stated how it would be done .

Agree Eaststand. Also, throughout our history we have been a selling club. Examples being, George Robledo, Danny Blanchflower, Tommy Taylor, Pat Howard, David Speedie, Mick McCarthy to name a few

To be fair i think the majority of clubs are selling club's , it's just we've always done it , and probably always will

Quote Originally Posted by Romared View Post
    To be fair i think the majority of clubs are selling club's , it's just we've always done it , and probably always will
    It's more to do when we sell and our league position rather than the actually sales for me Roma .

If we keep our talent in January and get promoted I can perhaps stomach players leaving in the summer because we can replace them more easily and have the time to do it more effectively .

Selling in January 7th in the championship or in the top two in league one is total b@llax for us fans to accept .

So Pinnilos, (Knasmullner), Moore, Styles, Dougall, Woodrow, Bahre, Williams have all signed on free transfers then?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast