+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The Black Flash: The Albert Johanneson Story

The Black Flash: The Albert Johanneson Story

Despite its flaws, the books is a worthwhile, instructive and often shocking read. - External Link

Albert was a very good player indeed.and endured much racial abuse wherever he played..He just got on with the game and shut them by playing some great football. He was the first black man to appear in an FA cup a Final ..

Quote from George Best..

He is also viewed as a courageous pioneer with regard to the racial discrimination he humbly endured from spectators who hurled
    monkey chants and bananas at him from the sidelines. In the words of footballing legend, George Best within whose era he played: "Albert was quite a brave man to actually go on the pitch in the first place, wasn't he? And he went out and did it. He had a lot of skill. A nice man as well ... which is, I suppose, the more important thing, isn't it? More important than anything."[6]

Great player and a very sad end to his life.

My brother had a Saturday job sweeping the floor for a Barber shop mid 70s and often recalled Yo Yo coming in for a grade 2 buzz cut like clockwork every month during work stopover breaks as Albert worked then as a Conductor on the Leeds/York trains.

My brother was always starstruck in the guys presence as my Dad knew Yo Yo as a neighbour when we lived off Meanwood Rd in N.Leeds. My brother only remembers a polite Hello and Goodbye and NO tip from Yo Yo (after he'd brush Yo Yo's uniform clean of hair), as Albert soulessly ambled off back to the railway station in a uniform that resembled the Charlie Chaplin character ...........

Many groups in Leeds Chapeltown area youth initiatives often tried to encourage him to go along especially during the riots in the area of 75/81 but he never made contact - This was a shame as his family and daughters were actively involved in youth work within the area as they are today and always gave time to encourage Terry Connor particularly.

Not sure why the book is out now but I hope the kids from ethnic backgrounds will learn how the man helped to break barriers that sadly haunted him in his later life.

Off topic - another Revie era player living in N.Leeds now in his late 60's has folks 'worrying' and hopefully he'll be able to keep on track ..... and get the jogging togs back on thus keeping positive and less self destructive when alone (If your reading get down to the park again as folks will be pleased to see you).

Amazing how many great Leeds players from different decades never left the area and still promote the city,it's business initiatives and the team,long may it continue although I'm not sure many of today's players will hang around ............

MOT

Quote Originally Posted by MrsORichSenior View Post
    Great player and a very sad end to his life.

My brother had a Saturday job sweeping the floor for a Barber shop mid 70s and often recalled Yo Yo coming in for a grade 2 buzz cut like clockwork every month during work stopover breaks as Albert worked then as a Conductor on the Leeds/York trains.

My brother was always starstruck in the guys presence as my Dad knew Yo Yo as a neighbour when we lived off Meanwood Rd in N.Leeds. My brother only remembers a polite Hello and Goodbye and NO tip from Yo Yo (after he'd brush Yo Yo's uniform clean of hair), as Albert soulessly ambled off back to the railway station in a uniform that resembled the Charlie Chaplin character ...........

Many groups in Leeds Chapeltown area youth initiatives often tried to encourage him to go along especially during the riots in the area of 75/81 but he never made contact - This was a shame as his family and daughters were actively involved in youth work within the area as they are today and always gave time to encourage Terry Connor particularly.

Not sure why the book is out now but I hope the kids from ethnic backgrounds will learn how the man helped to break barriers that sadly haunted him in his later life.

Off topic - another Revie era player living in N.Leeds now in his late 60's has folks 'worrying' and hopefully he'll be able to keep on track ..... and get the jogging togs back on thus keeping positive and less self destructive when alone (If your reading get down to the park again as folks will be pleased to see you).

Amazing how many great Leeds players from different decades never left the area and still promote the city,it's business initiatives and the team,long may it continue although I'm not sure many of today's players will hang around ............

MOT
    It's Albert's anniversary today R.I.P. since 1995

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)