+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: O/T Boring

Had remain won, the economic future would have been far more assured. With a nutter like Trump on the loose, Britain needed to be part of a European power bloc.
    The economic consequences of a leave vote are IMO likely to be devastating and recovery, if it occurs, will not happen for at least a generation.
    The consequences of that stupid vote will prove disastrous. For Serious to say he will admit if he was wrong is no comfort whatever because there is no mending the mess that we are about to enter with this bunch of total incompetents (and I'm talking about all political parties here).
    In fact I'd go so far as to say Notts have more chance of recovering their season and finishing up in the top seven. In other words, no chance.
    Last edited by sidders; 23-09-2018 at 11:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    The problem is that I think we've all lost, whether voting remain or leave. Referring to Vera Lynn as "the good old days" made me laugh though. For the poor they were the days of rampant poverty, outside toilets with newspaper as bog roll, and kids being sent up chimneys. At least the rich had their servants to wipe their arses for them, so it wasn't all bad.
    Don't talk out of your arse and pass untrue comments on events that happened before you were born. In the war years there was poverty especially in inner city areas but no little lads going up chimneys. The terraced back to backs may have been old but no way on earth could a lad have climbed the flue - far to small an opening. Now then back to toilet rolls. Using newspaper to wipe your arse was common. It would be torn into a rough square and usually hung on the door by either nail or a piece of string. Very rough to the anal passage if first not crumpled by hand before applying. Nobody moaned, we were at war. Vera Lynn and Ann Shelton bought hope and good spirits to many people especially our fighting lads. How do I know these things? I was born pre war and lived through those days and was brought up in tough times ..... but nowhere near as tough and poverty ridden as you would suggest ...... Boys up chimneys by the way was abolished by law in 1875 ....... quite a time before the Dame Vera Lynn era you must agree.

You appear to have a hatred of the rich by your regular comments on same ........ get that bloody chip off your shoulder. Any thoughts on the likes of Jesse Boot, John Player or the Middleton families for example who put much of their wealth into their employees welfare especially housing. I suppose in your eyes they were 'Satanic' mill owners.

People thought things were bad during the war on the home front, after when lend lease finished it got worse, I think this is going to turn out just as bad.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    Had remain won, the economic future would have been far more assured. With a nutter like Trump on the loose, Britain needed to be part of a European power bloc.
    The economic consequences of a leave vote are IMO likely to be devastating and recovery, if it occurs, will not happen for at least a generation.
    The consequences of that stupid vote will prove disastrous. For Serious to say he will admit if he was wrong is no comfort whatever because there is no mending the mess that we are about to enter with this bunch of total incompetents (and I'm talking about all political parties here).
    In fact I'd go so far as to say Notts have more chance of recovering their season and finishing up in the top seven. In other words, no chance.
    Bring your brain into positive mode ... don't always accept the status quo. Jump on a plane and visit Tarkers for a week. I'm sure he'll show you a different more exciting way of life than that of the humdrum academic. In other words mate ... take a few more chances in life and be grateful to be born British and the opportunities this country offers.

Quote Originally Posted by seriouspie View Post
    You appear to have a hatred of the rich by your regular comments on same .........
    I don't hate the rich. How do you know I'm not one of them? What I hate is the way the poor are exploited by some of the rich. I don't go for the 'everyone equal' communist theories, but the fact that the top 5% own 75% of the world's wealth is obscene in my opinion. I think those who work harder, have good ideas and take a few risks deserve a bigger slice of the cake, but not to current extremes.

ps You are wrong about kids up chimneys. I used to be sent up a couple before school, then did a shift down pit after the last lesson.

I don't hate the rich. How do you know I'm not one of them? What I hate is the way the poor are exploited by some of the rich. I don't go for the 'everyone equal' communist theories, but the fact that the top 5% own 75% of the world's wealth is obscene in my opinion. I think those who work harder, have good ideas and take a few risks deserve a bigger slice of the cake, but not to current extremes.

ps You are wrong about kids up chimneys. I used to be sent up a couple before school, then did a shift down pit after the last lesson.
    Aye ..... I bet you did! .... a Bevin boy whilst still at school, well done! You must be older than me!

But as I said earlier (talking locally) would it be fair to suggest that the very rich families I mentioned did an awful lot of good for the people of Nottingham by their generosity to their workers and others?

I seem to remember you telling all you spent your entire working life with Spray & Burgess - and that to me shows great loyalty and deserves credit. You mentioned you retired at 55 which is great but unless you stole it or were left it, I cannot see you being rich. Certainly comfortable which you deserve, but not rich in the context of today's meaning of being rich.

Finally I agree to a certain extent about exploitation and wealth distribution but this happens all over the world. Always has and always will, irrespective of either a person's or country's political beliefs.

But as I said earlier (talking locally) would it be fair to suggest that the very rich families I mentioned did an awful lot of good for the people of Nottingham by their generosity to their workers and others?
    Yes, that would be a fair suggestion.

I seem to remember you telling all you spent your entire working life with Spray & Burgess - and that to me shows great loyalty and deserves credit. You mentioned you retired at 55 which is great but unless you stole it or were left it, I cannot see you being rich. Certainly comfortable which you deserve, but not rich in the context of today's meaning of being rich.
    No loyalty involved, it just suited my circumstances. I never had any affection for the company and I would have left at the drop of a hat if something better came along. I'm certainly not rich by big money standards, the point was that I'm not in the least bit envious of anyone with vast fortunes, I'm more than happy with what I've got.

Bring your brain into positive mode ... don't always accept the status quo. Jump on a plane and visit Tarkers for a week. I'm sure he'll show you a different more exciting way of life than that of the humdrum academic. In other words mate ... take a few more chances in life and be grateful to be born British and the opportunities this country offers.
    I fear that my life is not quite so "exciting" any more Serious, I believe that I may have morphed into a recluse......lounging around the pool or under a palm tree, a few hours on here or the Climate Change forum, then drinks throughout the afternoon and a spot of gardening......hardly the kind of life to interest the likes of our esteemed academics on here.

Yes, that would be a fair suggestion.

No loyalty involved, it just suited my circumstances. I never had any affection for the company and I would have left at the drop of a hat if something better came along. I'm certainly not rich by big money standards, the point was that I'm not in the least bit envious of anyone with vast fortunes, I'm more than happy with what I've got.
    I agree with the last part, I started with nothing, nobody ever helped me, 6 months living in a YMCA at 17 years of age teaches you to look after yourself, nobody else will!.....worked hard at every job I had and had my fair share of good luck, from sweeping floors to running $1,000,000 accounts for the Brewery, and ultimately my own businesses........8 kids and 4 "marriages" plus countless other girlfriends show that I'm a browser rather than a grazer (goat and sheep analogy there for good effect), but still ended up with a huge $xxx,xxx property and enough savings and pension to live on, on my own, in my Mexican hideaway.....that is not even considered moderately wealthy by today's standards......the new wealthy would be $5,000,000 plus IMO?

Big Corporations are now in control, instead of individuals, their balance sheets often bigger than the GDP of even moderately-sized countries.....it's scary.

I'm happy supping ale and spending a few hours on here every day, gardening and looking after my animals (I hate it when I have to cull out 4 or 5 for the slaughter-house, but my land cannot support more than 10 or 12 full-time)....watching the sun-rise every morning, and the sunset if I'm sober enough.....hahahaha

I just want it over and done with.

And for those who voted leave who say 'Of course we would have just accepted it'. Farage himself said that if Remain won and it was 52 - 48 it would be 'unfinished business'. I can't read it that he was going to accept it.

And I'm fed up with those who, every time they say anything negative about Brexit are accused of being part of 'Project Fear'. I simply cannot believe they are all wrong.

What a mess - and I can't see a way out (I don't think the Govt. can either).

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast