Quote Originally Posted by Frigiliana Pie 1 View Post
Fitz gets an 8 and MOTM from me. It takes considerable strength of character to put in a performance like that after the sort of run he’s had recently. Hopefully this has been the turning point for him. The reason he doesn’t get 9 or 10, for what I thought was a faultless performance, was that he “only” made two outstanding saves - Northampton didn’t give him the chance to make any more. Giving a goalkeeper 10 would put him up alongside Eric McManus at Derby many years ago, which was the finest performance I’ve ever seen from a keeper.
I'm really pleased to hear Fitz did well. I'm not usually one to sympathise with footballers, because they're generally well paid for what they do and dealing with criticism and difficult moments is part and parcel of the job, but I do think Ross was taking far too much flack individually for what has clearly been a collective failure by the team at the start of this season. Yes you could identify some of the goals we conceded where he could have done better, but the same applies (much more so, actually) to the defenders and midfielders in front of him.

As the saying goes, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and relatively early in his career Fitz has been subjected to as tough an examination of his character and ability as a goalkeeper could face. Going by the reports yesterday, he's up for the challenge and deserved his second clean sheet of the season.