+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Match Ratings v the Cobblers

Quote Originally Posted by Frigiliana Pie 1 View Post
    Fitz gets an 8 and MOTM from me. It takes considerable strength of character to put in a performance like that after the sort of run he’s had recently. Hopefully this has been the turning point for him. The reason he doesn’t get 9 or 10, for what I thought was a faultless performance, was that he “only” made two outstanding saves - Northampton didn’t give him the chance to make any more. Giving a goalkeeper 10 would put him up alongside Eric McManus at Derby many years ago, which was the finest performance I’ve ever seen from a keeper.
    I'm really pleased to hear Fitz did well. I'm not usually one to sympathise with footballers, because they're generally well paid for what they do and dealing with criticism and difficult moments is part and parcel of the job, but I do think Ross was taking far too much flack individually for what has clearly been a collective failure by the team at the start of this season. Yes you could identify some of the goals we conceded where he could have done better, but the same applies (much more so, actually) to the defenders and midfielders in front of him.

As the saying goes, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and relatively early in his career Fitz has been subjected to as tough an examination of his character and ability as a goalkeeper could face. Going by the reports yesterday, he's up for the challenge and deserved his second clean sheet of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by tarquinbeech View Post
    The whole "match ratings" thingy is subjective and down to the interpretation of the individual....
    I agree. The more ratings the better, as it gives those who didn't see the game a fair idea of who played well and who didn't. It's just that the performance of Ross Fitzsimons has one individual who rates it far lower than the rest. A quick glance at this thread shows 9 ratings apart from tarquin's. Those ratings were one 10, three 8, three 7.5, and two 7. The average of those ratings gives Fitzsimons a score of 7.83 for his performance, as opposed to tarquin's rating of 5.5.

I didn't see the game so can't pass judgement, but nine against one is hard to ignore.

Was Tarquin at the game though Elite?

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    I agree. The more ratings the better, as it gives those who didn't see the game a fair idea of who played well and who didn't. It's just that the performance of Ross Fitzsimons has one individual who rates it far lower than the rest. A quick glance at this thread shows 9 ratings apart from tarquin's. Those ratings were one 10, three 8, three 7.5, and two 7. The average of those ratings gives Fitzsimons a score of 7.83 for his performance, as opposed to tarquin's rating of 5.5.

I didn't see the game so can't pass judgement, but nine against one is hard to ignore.
    Strange how you state that 0s and 10s should be reserved for "drama queens", yet include someone's 10 in your calculation so as to drive home your point!

Both Charlie and Stall commented that the saves were clearly ones that "any competent player should make at this level"....I'm delighted for the lad, and scored him slightly better than the mathematical average of 5. I also marked all the Notts players in a tight range of 4 to 5.5, for an average Notts performance achieving a 0-0 draw at an unfancied team's ground.

If people want to invoke the "sympathy vote" and give Fitz 7s and 8s, sobeit....it's a Match Ratings thread based on Personal Opinion of those that watched the game, after all.

I will attempt to give my ratings on the next match, I suggest that anyone who disagrees with my ratings analogy simply ignores them....or compares the highs and lows across the team (as I do) and reads the comments only.

Reading the Ratings this way, shows most thought that Hewey had little to no impact coming on, midfield was solid but lacked incisive passing, Hemmings runs tirelessly, Stead was solid once again, Turley is a no-nonsense Hulk...etc etc......the only "difference" we seem to have is that I thought Fitz had a much-improved, but competent performance, whilst others see him as the new Gordon Banks (hyperbole)!

Quote Originally Posted by tarquinbeech View Post
    Strange how you state that 0s and 10s should be reserved for "drama queens", yet include someone's 10 in your calculation so as to drive home your point!

Both Charlie and Stall commented that the saves were clearly ones that "any competent player should make at this level"....I'm delighted for the lad, and scored him slightly better than the mathematical average of 5. I also marked all the Notts players in a tight range of 4 to 5.5, for an average Notts performance achieving a 0-0 draw at an unfancied team's ground.

If people want to invoke the "sympathy vote" and give Fitz 7s and 8s, sobeit....it's a Match Ratings thread based on Personal Opinion of those that watched the game, after all.

I will attempt to give my ratings on the next match, I suggest that anyone who disagrees with my ratings analogy simply ignores them....or compares the highs and lows across the team (as I do) and reads the comments only.

Reading the Ratings this way, shows most thought that Hewey had little to no impact coming on, midfield was solid but lacked incisive passing, Hemmings runs tirelessly, Stead was solid once again, Turley is a no-nonsense Hulk...etc etc......the only "difference" we seem to have is that I thought Fitz had a much-improved, but competent performance, whilst others see him as the new Gordon Banks (hyperbole)!
    My 7 for Fitz is certainly not a 'sympathy vote' and neither do I agree with Stall & Charlie's comments. It was based on what was a good performance.

Did anyone else see the mistakes that Fitz apparently made? I didn't, but perhaps was too far away to see it?

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    My 7 for Fitz is certainly not a 'sympathy vote' and neither do I agree with Stall & Charlie's comments. It was based on what was a good performance.

Did anyone else see the mistakes that Fitz apparently made? I didn't, but perhaps was too far away to see it?
    That's the deference from being behind the goal at the far end and seeing it on the TV.

Quote Originally Posted by nay123 View Post
    That's the deference from being behind the goal at the far end and seeing it on the TV.
    Did he make those mistakes?

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    I'm really pleased to hear Fitz did well. I'm not usually one to sympathise with footballers, because they're generally well paid for what they do and dealing with criticism and difficult moments is part and parcel of the job, but I do think Ross was taking far too much flack individually for what has clearly been a collective failure by the team at the start of this season.
    Reminds me of Rob Burch and Stuart Nelson, both had their confidence shot to pieces by our more vocal football experts.

Quote Originally Posted by nay123 View Post
    I think the spelling police will be pay you a visit soon nay.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345