+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Gudjon's Hoof ball is alive and well

Gudjon's Hoof ball is alive and well

Just it's now Dave Artells version.
    Their ch was winning absolutely everything so what do we do? Keep hoofing it up in the air. Porter might as well have sat next to us in the stand.
    Play a passing game ffs.

Quote Originally Posted by whosbrianwilson View Post
    Just it's now Dave Artells version.
    Their ch was winning absolutely everything so what do we do? Keep hoofing it up in the air. Porter might as well have sat next to us in the stand.
    Play a passing game ffs.
    That was more than a dreadful performance.

Quote Originally Posted by lyndongrange View Post
    That was more than a dreadful performance.
    Didn't think it was as bad as those days but it would be nice to see us with a plan B.

Their centre backs did not look troubled all afternoon, but who can blame them we spent the first half gently chipping the ball in the box without running off the players and the whole second half aimlessly chucking it into the box.

I'm glad Artells sorted out the defence but we really could do with a bit more creativity. I've not seen us work the ball into the box for ages.

I could see the theory of 2 big men upfront but it didn't work. We needed a 'nippier' player like Miller alongside one of them.
    I seem to remember DA complaining about hoofball in some previous matches. A manager can tell them but on the day will they do it.
    We were done by a more experienced side who who knew how to do those little fouls that aren't seen.
    Oh and I hadn't realised that offside had been abolished

It was anyways going to be a defensive lapse that decided that game. Neither side had the wit to unlock what were two pretty well organised defences. Pope barely got a sniff all match and the 10 spent most of his time fouling, or on his arse. We had our moments in the first half, from balls played to feet, but the second half showed the folly of playing Porter. OK he didn’t do badly in the first half but, as DA alluded to, as soon as they applied any pressure we just whacked it in his general direction. He doesn’t hold the ball up well in those situations and Legge had him for breakfast, either legitimately or otherwise - and mostly fairly.

If we are going to try and relieve pressure we need to play into what seems to called the channels these days (between the CH and FB I would call it) for a couple of pacy frontmen to run on to. Defenders at this level don’t like pace, which we have if the right players are used - we also have a bit of it in MF but, unfortunately, Kirky disappeared after the first 30 minutes and Ainley flattered to deceive on this occasion.

Having said all that I’m not despondent about the season. We’ve had two 6-0s and other than that it’s been pretty tight stuff. We can debate all night long about which 6-0 was the aberration but I still reckon we look a lot better than this time last year - not Top 10 material, but not relegation fodder either.

Hopefully by the time I get back from my jollies we’ll be a few places higher and in the next round of the Mickey Mouse Cup - keep the faith!