+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Defence’s Best Performamce thus far

Defence’s Best Performamce thus far

Well done guys.
    I’ve been quick to criticise, but more than happy to issue plaudits today.
    Bartley...definitely his best performance to date. I’m pleased for him. Let’s hope it continues.
    Hegazi...strong and looking much more settled.
    Dawson...tremendous. Gave his all and clearly carrying a nasty knock. Much more comfortable on the ball.
    All in all, defensively our best of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Prando View Post
    Well done guys.
    I’ve been quick to criticise, but more than happy to issue plaudits today.
    Bartley...definitely his best performance to date. I’m pleased for him. Let’s hope it continues.
    Hegazi...strong and looking much more settled.
    Dawson...tremendous. Gave his all and clearly carrying a nasty knock. Much more comfortable on the ball.
    All in all, defensively our best of the season.
    i agree, Hegazi just shaded mom for me

Agree it was our best defensive performance so far
    But the first 20 minutes we were all over the shop at the back, but agree they did get better especially Daws and Hegazi
    Better teams will take advantage

Livermore and Brunt don’t shield the back 3 enough and we really don’t want Phillips and Gibbs tracking back too much as they are the only wide players who can beat a man

Absolutely love Gayles enthusiasm

Can see a lot of flexibility too in the squad, with one up and 2 behind (Barnes and Phillips, or Hoolahan) in games where we need to defend

Just need to try and blood some of the youngsters when we can, I think BD is trying to make sure we get a good start and then hopefully bring the youth in slowly.

All in all, was a good game but as always with us I never felt comfortable

Quote Originally Posted by BaggieSingh View Post

All in all, was a good game but as always with us I never felt comfortable
    SO TRUE Baggie S buddy...SO TRUE

For me it is a possibly, maybe our best defensive performance but maybe not. Certainly our first clean sheet for sure.

In every game we could/should have conceded or concede more, including Saturday. The reality is that all teams in this division struggle to get clean sheets, unless they shove 9 players behind the ball for most of the game. This is why it is difficult to predict results and genuinely, a lot more than the PL, every team can beat each other and at times will do so. Look at Blues at Leeds as an example, but there are several every week.

If Millwall had taken their chances in the first 20 minutes or so, the team and the defence, would have been slated. The defenders were slated after a last minute calamitous cock up at Boro. If that hadn’t have happened a goalless draw away there would have been ok.

This season is going to be a roller coaster and we are never really going to be comfortable. Don’t know about others but even after 30 minutes against Bristol C and being 3-0 up I wasn’t totally comfortable! Definitely wasn’t when they pulled it back to 4-2!

For me it is the old football reality of not getting too excited when things work out and not getting too low when they don’t. The players are what they are and at best we can tinker a bit with the starting 11 but there are not many options. That said as I have said elsewhere for me there is not one club in this division we need to fear and it is great to see us at least playing entertaining football and trying to win every game.

The danger is caused by Bartley who cannot kick the ball with his left foot. So he always has to cut back inside and play the ball into danger.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)