+ Visit Carlisle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Player Ratings - Bury Away

Player Ratings - Bury Away

“Only the dead have seen the end of the war.”

In honesty this was far from the side I would’ve selected after last week’s performance and I wholeheartedly disagree with Sheridan we played well despite losing. However, the team he selected came back with the points this afternoon so credit to him for backing himself and credit to the players for digging deep and fighting a result out, without ever quite resorting to Curle-esque tactics. It’s said the sign of a good team is to find a way to win games when you aren’t performing at your best, but there’s still much we can improve on.

Bury looked a capable team with Adams a constant danger on the right-wing, it’s an absolute credit to the left side of our team they were able to nullify him this afternoon, and the rest of our players defended excellently as a team. We did lack fluidity and tempo moving the ball when we had possession however – and we struggled to create very many opportunities in the final third of the pitch. But to resort to well worn clichés again – if you keep a clean sheet then you only have to create one opportunity to win any game (if you score it).

I need to give a special mention to the referee, who was quick to book our players. The sending off of Yates was, frankly, mystifying – maybe he deserved a dismissal – but I doubt it. The Bury player who viciously elbowed Gerarrd in the head (resulting in our player having to wear a bandage for the rest of the game) escaped with a mere “talking to” despite the referee making the elbow gesture with his arm. Gillesphey found himself in the book after Adams dived flamboyantly, Bennett was booked for an accidental collision and ironically – Hope was booked for raising his arms when jumping for the ball. I was waiting for what seemed to be the inevitable award of a dubious penalty after the sending off and the inexplicable decision to add six minutes of injury time – but I suppose you can’t make your cheating too obvious. I’m disappointed in the standard of refereeing for the second time this season – after having no real cause for complaint all last – and I’m left to wonder, could this be due to Sheridan’s reputation amongst match officials? Anyway, all’s well that ends well.

Collin – 8 – Handled well and saved superbly from a free-kick to keep us in a winning position. Not an easy afternoon for him as we were peppered with long range crosses from the flanks – but his communication with our defenders was excellent, his judgement and positioning perfect and when needed pulled out a quality save.

Liddle – 7 – I’m still not convinced by his ability to play consistently well at right-back, but today he didn’t do too much wrong defensively. Got forward to good effect on occaision and when we needed an extra head to deal with the slew of balls smacked across our penalty area he was there. Maybe because Bury constantly looked to Adams on the opposite flank, Liddle was given time to breathe deeply and compose himself – but that’s kind of churlish to point out. In marshalling our own right-flank, Liddle did a decent job.

Gillesphey – 7 – I’m really thankful we didn’t have to see Danny Grainger being ripped a new one by Adams all afternoon. Gillesphey should be commended for defending diligently against arguably the most influential right sided player in the division. After picking up an unjustified booking, Gillesphey stuck to his task with maturity and concentration. His ability to win a header and his movement and variety of distribution with his left foot bring many positives to the team. In fairness to Grainger, he looked like a new player before his injury this season and if he can recapture that form we’ll be spoiled for choice at left-back. At the minute however, on the back of performances like this – you shouldn’t really drop Gillesphey.

Gerrard – 5 - Blowing bubbles out of his behind, his weight looks like it has caught up with him. I lost count of the occasions in the first half he would almost defend capability but screw things up and have to be bailed out by Parkes. After his skull was shattered by a Bury player’s elbow his performance strangely improved and having a big unit in the middle of our penalty area does indeed deny the opposition space. I suppose it’s fair to say we “park the bus” when one of our defenders is the size of a bus.

Parkes – 8* - A central defensive masterclass. His distribution could have been a little more measured, but as a destructive player this performance was unparalleled by any of the other times he’s played for us since the start of last season. No schoolboy errors and towering header after towering header in the heart of our defence. His reading of where Adams was planning to cross to and his positioning were different class. Equally as solid on the ground and in the air – and even had the presence and composure to continually bail Gerrard out of holes throughout the first half. He’s repaying the faith Sheridan is showing in him in bucket loads.

Etuhu – 7 – Clearly not the “best midfielder in the division”, although “best” is obviously a relative term. He’s obviously the type of character who needs an arm round his shoulders rather than a roasting and the love Sheridan is showing him is translating to an improvement of epic proportions on the pitch. I don’t think it’s wrong to lavish praise on any player if it’s what they need to hear to raise their game and it has worked here. In truth, last season I wouldn’t have picked Etuhu if you’d paid me, this season he’s easily one of the players I’d put on the team sheet first. His tackling, all-round ball winning, strength and defensive presence in midfield gives real value to the side. I can’t help but enjoy the sight of opposition midfielders levelled, floundering with their face in the dirt, after being terminated by Etuhu as he runs away with the ball...

Sowerby – 6 – Looked someway off full match fitness, but for 55 minutes (while he could still run) proved a useful foil for Etuhu in central midfield. Not the type of player to give you very much verve or drive from the centre of the park, but always available (generally in space) and always with the ability to find a Carlisle player with his passing. When he tired, his passing accuracy evaporated and he was rightly substituted but provided a sense of calmness and measured control to our player. It’s different to see a midfielder pulling the strings from the middle of the park with a sense of control rather than the hustle and bustle Joyce, Jones and co gave us under Curle, it completely changes the dynamic of our team.

Devitt – 5 – The inclusion of Sowerby alongside Etuhu, in theory, gave us a platform in the middle of the pitch from which Devitt could go and express himself. However, for large parts of the afternoon Devitt disappeared into a big anonymous hole. When he did get on the ball, his passing, crossing and everything were exceptionally awful. If nothing else, he brings character to the side and the odd biting tackle. However, I find myself looking at the bench and seeing players like Campbell and Nadesan who would easily provide more quality in linking play between our midfield, wide players and centre-forward. All this being said, and despite an afternoon largely to forget – Devitt still managed to provide one moment of technical quality in the corner which helped win us the game. That’s the rub, I suppose, when you keep Devitt on the pitch in a tight game, in spite of how toe-curlingly awful his performance is for eighty-nine minutes, he’s still capable of providing the one moment of brilliance which will win you the points. Is this enough to keep him in the team?

Yates – 5 – Ineffective on the right, came into the game much more when moved over to the left (without ever setting the world on fire). Does a great job for the side defensively but his decision making and use of the ball is often poor. In truth, his enforced absence may be a blessing in disguise as the manager will have to give one of our other (hopefully creative) players an opportunity.

Hope – 5 – Ineffective on the left, came into the game much more when moved to the right. I can’t knock his effort and work rate, his pace can be an asset but his dubious technical ability too often lets him down when the chips on the table. Made himself a fantastic opportunity to make the game safe at 1-0 but typically, fluffed it by screwing his shot wide. Looks to be struggling to recapture his early season form.

Bennett – 6 – Another bruising afternoon for Bennett, fighting for scraps, but on this occasion he chipped in with a typical poacher’s goal. It was an excellent corner from Devitt, a splendid deft header from Gillesphey but Bennett finished emphatically to firmly silence his critics. There’s absolutely no doubt, if we’re good enough to get the ball to Bennett in the penalty area – he’ll get us goals.

Subs

Glendon – 4 – Struggled to come up to the pace of the game from the bench, he needs to do better. I’d have selected him in midfield ahead of Sowerby before the game, but on this performance I was wrong and Sheridan was right. It’s sometimes difficult to slot in to central midfield when coming on as a substitute, as both Sowerby and Glendon have probably shown over the past two games.

Nadesan – 5 – He’s not suited to playing alone upfront.

Ta Piglet, appreciated.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)