+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Lawrence Shankland

I think the only person you can blame for Shankland not getting a chance is Shankland.

If he was as fit as he is now he would have played more than he did.

17 appearances is a lot more than Forrester has made yet some are writing him off and wanting him binned already.

That ^^^

Nae good enough whilst on our books, so freeing up his wage was the right thing to do. I canna remember any arguments about the club’s decision at the time.

If he’s sorted himself oot, good for him, but any bigger club considering a bid for him will need to do the due diligence thing.

Quote Originally Posted by rico94 View Post
    I think the only person you can blame for Shankland not getting a chance is Shankland.
    Goodwillie, Zola, Stockley played ahead of him. Its not all on Shankland that he didnt make the grade.

I’d put the blame on them both. It’s a chicken & egg thing. Was Shanklands attitude & fitness down to being d1cked around by McInnes? It does look like another mistake though. If that fat eccie headed binman b’stard can get the best out him...

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman1903 View Post
    Goodwillie, Zola, Stockley played ahead of him. Its not all on Shankland that he didnt make the grade.
    Zola didn’t play much more than Shankland did so you could say he didn’t get a fair chance either. I would say they both weren’t good enough.

Shankland didn’t exactly do anything of note when we loaned him to St Mirren and Morton.

He obviously has sorted himself out now by going part time and becoming a fitness instructor.If he played like he is for Ayr when he was on loan at St Mirren and Morton we might have kept him on.

Quote Originally Posted by rico94 View Post
    Zola didn’t play much more than Shankland did so you could say he didn’t get a fair chance either. I would say they both weren’t good enough.

Shankland didn’t exactly do anything of note when we loaned him to St Mirren and Morton.

He obviously has sorted himself out now by going part time and becoming a fitness instructor.If he played like he is for Ayr when he was on loan at St Mirren and Morton we might have kept him on.
    Zola got 20 appearances in his only season. Pretty sure that was enough for everyone to see he was pish and was a bigger chance than Shankland

It's all water under the bridge anyway , if the player himself admits it was the right decision at the time it's good enough for me.
    If he pops up at a Hearts/Hibs or even Killie St J in a season or 2 and starts banging them in then we can maybe discuss if we made a mistake letting him go, until then......case closed!

Quote Originally Posted by pieandbovrilman View Post
    It's all water under the bridge anyway , if the player himself admits it was the right decision at the time it's good enough for me.
    If he pops up at a Hearts/Hibs or even Killie St J in a season or 2 and starts banging them in then we can maybe discuss if we made a mistake letting him go, until then......case closed!
    Untill we start scoring goals its case open

Calvin Zola hasn't played football since 2014 apparently. What an absolute oddity of a player.

EDIT - retired, maybe through injury.
    Last edited by Aldo1983; 23-09-2018 at 09:32 AM.

i don't think he got a fair run at it. Some similarities with Greg Stewart regards letting the fitness slip. Unsurprising when just getting little run outs here and there. Anyways, why would he come back. I doubt he would fancy returning to a lone striker role and his sights should be set higher than us now. Andy robertson kicked on. Shankland still has time. they were the 2 standouts of their age group. I would say Lewis Ferguson is similar career path and our next great hope.

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast