+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Lawrence Shankland

Lawrence Shankland

OK this could well be time for me to dig out my tin hat and all that, but a forum is for opinions and this is my opinion and yes!!! I did use the forum search function and could not find a thread on this boy, but I do know he has been discussed on various other threads but here goes.

Personally think Ayr will get promoted this season and Shankland will be one of the main contributing factors (if he stays) I would love to see us go in for him in the next transfer window, but no doubt DM will be going for some other less than bang average no hopers from the low guff leagues, If he indeed goes for anyone
    Lawrence Shankland took his goal tally for the season to 15 in 13 games as his double sent Ayr United back to the top of the Scottish Championship.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/45531300

Think we should be seriously looking into taking him back

SF
    Last edited by blowupsheep; 23-09-2018 at 04:58 AM. Reason: to add in the link

I have said many times before on here, we were very stupid letting him go when we did. He looked the part a few times when he came on for the dons. Just too young at the time I'd say. We won't go back in for him

Quote Originally Posted by Ten Caat's View Post
    He looked the part a few times when he came on for the dons. (
    Any time I saw him he looked right out of his depth and not fit.

But fair play to the lad by all accounts he's gone away and reinvented himself and is on a right hotter just now.

Only time will tell if he's top level ready.

I’m not convinced yet.

When we let him go I agreed with it.
    He was overweight & out of his depth.
    I don’t remember too many folk objecting to his release.

Credit to him though, he’s gone away, he’s a qualified Personal Trainer & got himself in shape, but he has been playing at a lower level.

I’m not sure he’s good enough for us.... but then again, he’d likely score more than Cosgrove & May.
    That’s not setting the bar high though.
    That’s like saying you’re a better baby sitter than Kate McCann.

Someone like Derek Adams at Plymouth might try & take him. £200k-£250k would shift him.

It didn't work out before with us , aye he was young but he did get opportunities and didn't manage to take them at the time. He may well now be ready to have another go at this level but I doubt it will be with us . Good to see him doing well though.

These things happen anyway.

At the time he was as highly rated as Robertson.

Quote Originally Posted by pieandbovrilman View Post
    It didn't work out before with us , aye he was young but he did get opportunities and didn't manage to take them at the time. He may well now be ready to have another go at this level but I doubt it will be with us . Good to see him doing well though.
    He played 248 minutes in our 1st team between 2013-17. This was over 17 apprarances. That averages 14 min an appearance. That cannot be classed as getting a chance.

How many starts are in that?

And how many consecutive starts did he get? Id hazard a guess at none.

The boy did not get a chance at us

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman1903 View Post
    He played 248 minutes in our 1st team between 2013-17. This was over 17 apprarances. That averages 14 min an appearance. That cannot be classed as getting a chance.

How many starts are in that?

And how many consecutive starts did he get? Id hazard a guess at none.

The boy did not get a chance at us
    2013-2017?? I Dinna think that's right min , he wasna with us that long....
    Rooney was scoring for fun at the time from what I recall, Shankland had opportunities from the bench and I'm sure there were some starts in there, granted not many.
    I'm not saying he got a fair crack of the whip but he did get opportunities and he didn't take them at a time where we had one of the most prolific goal scorers in the league , and in our recent history.

Shankland said himself that he was right to be shown the door, he then worked on his fitness, knuckled down and is now getting the rewards, i would be tempted to give him another chance as he seems to be a goalscorer and we are lacking in that department and Wilson who has made a good start will not be here next season. How long a deal has he at Ayr?

Quote Originally Posted by pieandbovrilman View Post
    2013-2017?? I Dinna think that's right min , he wasna with us that long....
    Rooney was scoring for fun at the time from what I recall, Shankland had opportunities from the bench and I'm sure there were some starts in there, granted not many.
    I'm not saying he got a fair crack of the whip but he did get opportunities and he didn't take them at a time where we had one of the most prolific goal scorers in the league , and in our recent history.
    How many were fleeting 5-10 min subbies.Goodwillie was playing ahead of him for f@ck sake. He didnt get a chance. Nobody on here can say he did and can predict if he would be any use as we dont know.

I personally would give him a chance as what we have is sh@te or not ours.

Edit- he signed in July 13 and left in July 17
    Last edited by Pacman1903; 23-09-2018 at 08:29 AM.

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast