+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What makes a big club?

What makes a big club?

Are we a big club?

A big club to me is what the fans of that club make it.Its a way of life for a Geordie and the odd out of town fan as well.So I would say too right we are a big club.

One that's won f♡ck all for years but the media can't stop talking about and keep saying they aren't a big club
    Liverpool and Man U are massive but would they be without the huge amounts of success?

It's easy to follow the winners and look at Man City now
    Lauded as massive club but a laughing stock not long ago
    Media rarely mention it these days

Swings and roundabouts

Good points. I would say a big club is certainly one where the ground is full, even if everyone knows their team is looking at the face of a relegation battle. Be that 20.000 or 60.000 people.

It's all about Twitter followers and foreign shirt sales nowadays

Look at the grounds now man full of daytrippers with their cameras fixed on the pitch
    Next year they'll support whoever is flavour of the month
    At least we were a breath of fresh air once upon a time

Great 5 years then another go with Sir Bobby

Never questioned if we were a big club then funnily enough

If we get some relative success again we'd be accepted by the likes of the SKY and Talk sport mouthpieces

Yes.

In terms of recent achievements, no-obviously not.

But we've won nothing for 49 years and domestically for 63 years yet we still pull in over 50 000, we've got recent ex-players and managers who are known and respected internationally, the media are still hugely interested at the goings-on at our club and we've got fans from all over the world.

Taken in isolation, each element isn't enough but put them all together and i think they add up to a 'big club'.

Not as big as we used to be, granted...but a big club nevertheless.

Danny Murphy has gone down in my estimation.

For me it's the stadium and the fans that help the most to make a "big" club. I recently read an article about how so many PL clubs really relish coming to St. James's Park because it's a fantastic stadium and a cracking atmosphere with the crowd. Mind, it would help if we had a few trophies in the cabinet as well.

Yes we are a big club.

We have been a big club since we joined the 1st division when the likes of Manure and Liverpool were insignificant. Manure didn't emerge until the days of Sir Mat Busby and even later for Liverpool under Bill Shankly.

Mind you if the fat tosser continues his rapid regression it won't be long before we are among the forgottens.
    Last edited by ex_pat_magpie; 24-09-2018 at 09:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ex_pat_magpie View Post
    We have been a big club since we joined the 1st division when the likes of Manure and Liverpool were insignificant. Manure didn't emerge until the days of Sir Mat Busby and even later for Liverpool under Bill Shankly.

Mind you if the fat tosser continues his rapid regression it won't be long before we are among the forgottens.
    We'll still be a big club though Pat? Our ground will be full. Regardless of investment or PL status. A big club is big in spite of lack of trophies etc.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)