+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yet another abject loss down to Artell

I don’t agree that we will be bottom 2 at Christmas (though why we are using the C word in September I don’t know��!) but take the point that we are not likely to be above 16th on current form. Why would I stick with DA? Couple of reasons, the first being I’d want to know who his replacement was going to be, the second being I think I’d like to see responsibilities between him and KL slightly changed, such that KL is more to the forefront re coaching etc and DA sort of like a frontman. Seems to me Kenny prepares the team and spends most of the first half on the touch line, then Dave takes over the half time teamtalk and runs the second half. My observations may be quite wrong, but having witnessed Kenny with the under 18s a few years back I was impressed with him on the touch line - he seems more subdued with the first team. He is, however, not good with the media, where Dave’s eccentricities do him a few favours.

So if Dave goes, I wouldn’t send Kenny with him.

My main concern is this: Three players that we are really missing at this point of the season (Pickering, Green and Nolan). Perhaps this is why we are not making those strides forward that many expected this season. Obviously, Artell cannot be blamed for this factor, although he is not above criticism as to where we find ourselves at this point of the season. Not so sure that removing him now would make that much difference, as I personally cannot anyone with any calibre to move this club forward would be interested in the job, considering our budget and the wages the club would offer him. I am feeling pretty down about attending games right now and as for the Swindon match on Tuesday, I really cannot see us grabbing that all important confidence "win" that we so urgently require. We will be there again supporting the lads, but I would guess that the attendance will be pretty poor after what has happened during the past few games.

I agree with Aston and Alexmick. As said the injuries to 3 key players has not helped. Also the small budget that there is to work with because of the 'money' situation. The same problems that SD had

Quote Originally Posted by out0lunch View Post
    I agree with Aston and Alexmick. As said the injuries to 3 key players has not helped. Also the small budget that there is to work with because of the 'money' situation. The same problems that SD had
    Sorry, disagree. Even without those three players ( Green we won have for much longer anyway because of age) we have a squad with enough talent to be doing far better than we are at present. Ainley has gone backwards, Bowery isn't good enough...

I dispute the issue many fans are raising that we couldn't afford a good replacement for Artell and that there is no money. SD was rumoured to be on 100k a year and Dario was paid well over that during his spells in charge. It would be an attractive proposition for a number of managers given our facilities and reputation for nurturing young talent. There is a good, loyal fanbase, and a board who are fans of the club and aren't going to sack you after 3 poor games.

It is the perfect stepping stone for an ambitious manager to come in and do well, much like SD did before things went tits up.

Meanwhile, Newport are 2nd, have the same GD as us and their budget was 2.6m last season, ours was 4.4m! So I think there are candidates out there who would do a better job and It seems like we can't sack Artell until the fans have already lined up a replacement for him. If the board don't act, it sends out the wrong message that being down in 18th is somehow acceptable, which then affects mentality and expectations of the players who think its alright!

Not good enough I'm afraid, but the problems run deeper than just the manager.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyboldon View Post
    Sorry, disagree. Even without those three players ( Green we won have for much longer anyway because of age) we have a squad with enough talent to be doing far better than we are at present. Ainley has gone backwards, Bowery isn't good enough...
    I can see your point regarding Green and his age (tired legs etc.), Jimmy. However, he was the one stand out player in midfield last season, that ignited our season following his arrival. Had Green not have been instrumental in helping those youngsters around him, then we may well be playing in the National League now. Plus, without Player of the Season, Nolan, we seem extremely shaky at the back. Moreover, without Pickering, who is probably our most talented youngster in that defence and certainly a key man at left back, then we are lacking the quality needed when attacked on the flank from that side. Extremely unlucky to lose these three, but that is part and parcel of the game and we have to get on with it. On the bright side, Pickering was due to start this afternoon for the under-23s.

I stand by my comments. If you read it again Mick, I think you might agree that with the squad we have, we should be doing better even without those players. I do agree that Green was instrumental in the improvement towards the end of the season.
    Yes we miss Nolan and Pickering, but 18th ffs!!
    Last edited by jimmyboldon; 01-10-2018 at 05:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyboldon View Post
    I stand by my comments. If you read it again Mick, I think you might agree that with the squad we have, we should be doing better even without those players. I do agree that Green was instrumental in the improvement towards the end of the season.
    Yes we miss Nolan and Pickering, but 18th ffs!!
    Jimmy, our league position is not good and neither is our points tally. I said as much in an earlier post nearer to the top of this thread. I was optimistic at the beginning of the season, although now I am finding myself not looking forward to the games coming up. Swindon on a Tuesday night (although I will be there) is not filling me with any enthusiasm at all. We do have the players, I agree. However, some seem to have lost their way big style. Take the midfield. Wintle is perhaps our best performer, although even he is not running on full throttle. Joes is the biggest disappointment and I feel that he should be running the show now, considering he was lined up for a move to the Championship. Ainley and Kirk have gone AWOL in recent games and this is why the loss of Green is key in my opinion. He was that anchor and these lads seem to be headless chickens without him. They shouldn't be, I know, especially considering the number of games they now have under their belt. The attackers that Artell has brought in this season have been disappointing, especially Miller. What is up with him? No goals as yet. Get rid of Artell may be an option. But who do you bring in to replace him? Who would want the job? I would think that the present manager's salary is not breaking the bank and I would imagine that he is on a low transfer budget. A tough call on how we can improve. Hope we do soon, because I am beginning to get bored at these games now.

Quote Originally Posted by TK20 View Post
    I dispute the issue many fans are raising that we couldn't afford a good replacement for Artell and that there is no money. SD was rumoured to be on 100k a year and Dario was paid well over that during his spells in charge. It would be an attractive proposition for a number of managers given our facilities and reputation for nurturing young talent. There is a good, loyal fanbase, and a board who are fans of the club and aren't going to sack you after 3 poor games.

It is the perfect stepping stone for an ambitious manager to come in and do well, much like SD did before things went tits up.

Meanwhile, Newport are 2nd, have the same GD as us and their budget was 2.6m last season, ours was 4.4m! So I think there are candidates out there who would do a better job and It seems like we can't sack Artell until the fans have already lined up a replacement for him. If the board don't act, it sends out the wrong message that being down in 18th is somehow acceptable, which then affects mentality and expectations of the players who think its alright!

Not good enough I'm afraid, but the problems run deeper than just the manager.
    Where can I see these figures please

I don’t think those 3 injuries are the reason we’re struggling.

Greens a big loss as he’s energetic and drives the tempo of the game for us but I don’t think Nolan or Pickering are a huge loss. Not that both of them haven’t been good.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast