+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: ***ual abuse scandal review may be delayed for over a year

***ual abuse scandal review may be delayed for over a year

Does this mean Dario has to wait another year ?

https://www.theguardian.com/football...ed-over-a-year

I thought exactly the same reading the Graun this afternoon.

Presumably if the FA cannot interview potential witnesses due to interfering with the judicial process then he, like others in the same boat, will have to wait. It’s very unfair on the man if he is innocent of any wrongdoing, as I think most of us believe to be the case. However, if the FA declare some people who have been suspended, not guilty of any wrongdoing then, by implication, they are suggesting that those being investigated and not declared innocent at this time are, indeed, guilty. This may not be true as the facts are that they have been unable to interview those still involved in potential criminal charges against Bennell - these individuals may make no allegations concerning Dario and he would be declared innocent.

It is a highly unsatisfactory position for Dario but I would suggest that the FA’s hands are tied by what seems to be a very slow police investigation. It is my understanding that they were prepared to draw a line under further charges against Bennell, due to his age, ill health and length of sentence. However, some of the more recent allegations are of the most serious nature and the CPS did not support that view, insisting that it was right that the abused should have the opportunity to have their accusations heard in court and that appropriate retribution be dished out to this appalling man. It’s hard to argue against that view and we, like Dario I guess, must accept that some of these dreadful crimes took place when he was an employee of our football club and worked closely with Mr Gradi.

But are there any criminal charges against Dario? If not, how can the FA continue to treat him like this? Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty? This is AN FA enquiry, initially started on the basis of things going on at Chelsea, for which Chelsea have since been cleared. So what's going on???

The short answer to that is that criminal charges require a higher burden of proof than breaking FA rules, which is not to say I believe that Dario has broken any rules.

I would like nothing more than DG to be cleared tomorrow but, if the FA made such a statement before their enquiry is completed, I fear that the newspaper headlines would not be generous or even handed. Whilst nothing is being announced at least his good name is not being dragged through the mud or being linked, however tangentially, with the odious Bennell on a daily or weekly basis. It is shameful that ANY innocent people should be dragged into this mess, but we must expect that to happen given the nature of the accusations. So long as all those linked for no good reason are exonerated.