+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Parsley Sauce and Chip Shops

O/T Parsley Sauce and Chip Shops

I love parsley sauce on chips and fish. I have never in my life been in a chippy that does cartons of parsley sauce. It puzzles me as I think it could be a good seller. Has anyone known a chippy do it, I'm talking chips in a bag, not one of these fancy sit down restaurant type places as they do PS.

XL fisheries at Wickersley used to be a reyt chippy with the campest of camp fryers. It's just another foreign owned place now with a restaurant upstairs and the takeaway fish n chips are nowhere near as good as they were when Andrew son of the scrap man owned it.

What are people's thoughts on the lack of parsley sauce avaliable at chippys, is there a valid reason?

Also, what was the best chippy you frequented growing up and are there any decent ones in Rotherham now?

This is not a wind up O/T thread either, I'm genuinely interested to hear people's views.

Mrs Roly always loves parsley sauce on fish and oven chips out of the freezer, I can live without it preferring just the old salt and vinegar. If i have parsley sauce it goes on my fish not chips. The mrs wont have vinegar on though which is strange to me. She also has tom sauce with fish and chips. Not objecting to tom sauce with chips but draw a line at fish.

But to go back to your original point yeah I think some might take to p sauce with fish and chips. why not make a few pots up and take it down to your local chippy and see how it goes. You could coin a market niche there and next stop dragons den and trying to flog it to P eter Jones and Debra Meaden.

Ha ha Rory. Dragons Den had come into my mind tbh. I just don't get why chip shops don't do it.

No fish & chip shop in East Herringthorpe in my day and my dad used to drive to Melia's in Dalton which he reckoned were the best around. I don't fancy parsley sauce on fish and chips tbh but it's the kind of thing my wife would like. Salt and vinegar for me although I have developed a taste for curry sauce on fish and chips. Hmmm, making me feel hungry!
    Fish and chips is a dying art in many places. Had some good ones at a place in Harrogate (was it Betty's or something like that) but there used to be a place on the docks at Grimsby in the late 50s, early 60s, cod the size of a dinner plate and best f&c I've ever had. Tried a Harry Ramsdens in Manchester once - rubbish.

Used to be a brilliant chippy on Hangsman Lane Laughton but its a Chinese takeaway now.

Good one at the bottom of Oldgate Lane Thrybergh, not been it for 10 years though.

All the good ones have gone now or been taken over by people who put profit over quality.

One on upper wortley road Thorpe Hesley used to be awesome, even people from Chapletown and Ecclesfield used to drive there, we even used to drive there from Maltby because they were so good. Went in couple of years ago and it was frozen chips and pre battered frozen fish! Awful!

There's one near us at Upton that has the old coal fired oven and only opens twice a week (Friday night & Saturday lunchtime).

It's a tradition for the locals who visit it religiously.

People literally que down the street for the fish & chips - this is partly cos its so small

It looks like an old brick privy at the bottom of some ones garden/yard. No fancy signs, windows, lighting, etc. You could drive past it and not even notice it when its not open.

Never seen parsley sauce in a chippy. You get pie & mash & parsley 'liquor' in certain parts of London.

Has to be mushy peas for me, vinegar on the chips.

I have pea puree myself being posh!

Quote Originally Posted by loyalmiller View Post
    Used to be a brilliant chippy on Hangsman Lane Laughton but its a Chinese takeaway now.

Good one at the bottom of Oldgate Lane Thrybergh, not been it for 10 years though.

All the good ones have gone now or been taken over by people who put profit over quality.

One on upper wortley road Thorpe Hesley used to be awesome, even people from Chapletown and Ecclesfield used to drive there, we even used to drive there from Maltby because they were so good. Went in couple of years ago and it was frozen chips and pre battered frozen fish! Awful!
    Nah then Choccy hows you pal?

The one at Laughton was called Drivers, it was awesome.

I've worked out a standard sachet of Parsley sauce would do 4 decent portions and I can get sachets for 17p. I'd have to use about 10 pence worth of milk so if I sold the portions at 70p a pop it would a reyt earner.

This time next year Rodders!!!!!!

Never really thought about this and I don't know why as I love a bit of parsley sauce on home cooked fish n chips! I do like the curry sauce though from chippies, but would swap it for parsley if I could.
    Davians is decent, Marina on green Lane Rawmarsh is ok too.
    Chippies were best when they did fish n chips, not kebabs or pizzas or burgers. You could get fish n chips with as much salt and vinegar as you wanted, chuck a few scraps in, and get a warm bottle of Tizer in a glass bottle that had been sitting on a shelf on the back wall for years!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast