+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: O/T Parsley Sauce and Chip Shops

Quote Originally Posted by monty_rhodes View Post
    sota, if you were from Eastwood a couple of things. First did you ever encounter the Gaziorskis - I think they lived on Fitzwilliam Road and one of the brothers was a very good road cyclist. Second, can you help me locate the tropical fish shop I used to work in: it was in an old, small Victorian terrace somewhere round there but I can't remember the street name or locate it now. Very frustrating.
    sota, ignore this. Early in the morning and I misread one of your posts. You've said often that you are from EH so my request was clearly down to "Not really awake yet" syndrome.

Quote Originally Posted by monty_rhodes View Post
    I have stayed in rooms 45 and 46 so they may charge you extra if you ask for those. I used to stay at my sister's on Moorgate. She's now living up by the Stag. I can stay there but feel I'm imposing so tend to book into the PI - which also allows me to do my own thing.
    Make sure the doors are locked then ..oh and watch for the window cleaner 😂

Quote Originally Posted by millavanilla View Post
    Make sure the doors are locked then ..oh and watch for the window cleaner ��
    Sound advice.

Monty, I can't remember the Gaziorskis but I do do remember a tropical fish shop somewhere but like you, can't remember where! lol

The tropical fish shop was on Effingham street opposite St Ann’s flats, you could see it from the chip shop that used to be on the corner of Fitzwiliam road and St Ann’s road.

Ginghams on trunch lane do a large battered haddock or cod. And parsley sauce for £5.25 . And very nice too. Just had one.

Quote Originally Posted by loyalmiller View Post
    The tropical fish shop was on Effingham street opposite St Ann’s flats, you could see it from the chip shop that used to be on the corner of Fitzwiliam road and St Ann’s road.
    Loyal, I recall that shop too on Effingham Street. Maybe Monty is referring to the fact it was there when the whole area was surrounded by old victorian terraced houses long before the St Anns flats were built.

Have to say I've really enjoyed this topic as it has brought back loads of memories.

Quote Originally Posted by sota View Post
    Monty. I think High Hazel is correct. Harry Moxon and Mrs Moxon owned the Butchers on Ridgeway and then afterwards the chippy on Topfield Lane. Wonderful memories.
    Sota, I recall the Moxons shop as a lad. Eventually, the shop was taken over by Parr's who extended almost the whole length of the shop frontage on Ridgeway.

NB. My earliest recollection of having parsley sauce was in my junior school days. We use to get chips with a fishcake that was crammed with some kind of formed fish that was stuffed with parsley and the lovely warm parsley sauce followed to drown it in.
    Last edited by Brin; 05-10-2018 at 01:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Loyal, I recall that shop too on Effingham Street. Maybe Monty is referring to the fact it was there when the whole area was surrounded by old victorian terraced houses long before the St Anns flats were built.

Have to say I've really enjoyed this topic as it has brought back loads of memories.
    My memory of the shop is that in was on a terraced street in the Effingham Street area. There was a really good chippie close by. I worked in the shop on Saturdays probably in 1967-8 and the couple who owned it also did an Aquarist Society that met at the Bridge Inn. It's possible that some time later the shop relocated to Effingham Street, perhaps following slum clearance? I can't be sure about that but I'm convinced it was originally on a side street and I don't recall any nearby competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post

Glad you've enjoyed it pal. Tbh I thought people may have thought it was just a wind up O/T thread to pi55 Millertop off lol. Honestly wasn't though I was genuinely interested. Didn't think it would do nearly 50 posts though.

Best chippy I remember as a lad was Olberts on Canklow road opposite the club. Fred's fishcakes were the best I have ever tasted and one crushed between to slices of bread, salt n vinegar poured over were to friggin die for.

He used to use the Rotherham Record to wrap up the chips with too. A bygone never to be repeated way of life.

Shame really.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast