+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What’s going on then?

Quote Originally Posted by AdiSalisbury View Post
    I've only physically been to 1 game, so can't really give more insight than others based on what I see on RamsTV. With other regular posters being based in Manchester, Surrey, and even Holland (though very busy a poster)
    Is this the old "you can't tell from TV, only from being at the stadium" point of view? Either way it's not one I agree with. There are things you see on TV that you miss live. Live you can see some things that happen off the ball which you don't see on TV as the cameras are, logically, following play.

I have seen every game this season. One physically there, at OT. The rest, apart from one, including all of the pre season games, I have seen live on RamsTV or on one of those stream things when the game is on Sky. The one I missed I watched the full 90 minutes, 48 hours later.

I might have misunderstood you but you seem to imply that we can't, for some reason I can't think of be that....... what?... objective or anywhere near right just because we weren't in the stadium?

I see the games, I process what I have seen and then comment on that. I see nothing wrong in that and my view is, IMO, as valid as that of anybody who was actually there. These fora are there to share one's opinion on things you know, have seen or heard. Some is mere hearsay but that is why many post that stuff as "rumour".

If I am wrong, I would gladly take on board any positive critique.

I think that sums it up rather well Adi, although I think OT threads are not a bad thing, its when they become dominant and confrontational (eg Brexit) that they turn off the football fan who just wants to try to forget the harsh realities of life for a few moments - perhaps. Personally I quite enjoy the cut and thrust of them, but that's just me as a person who enjoys a good argument! You just have to take the likes of Swale with a pinch of salt when he heads off on one of his rants, but I do have to agree that I hope one of Awkwards hunger strikes succeeds one day :-). That said, to fresh meat, they may appear something that you do not want to interact with

Combination of many things I think RA. On football -

Things are going good, but nobody wants to get ahead of themselves and start calling our destiny either way. Things always get livelier when there's controversy. Personally, I'm enjoying our current season, and watching Frank has been a breath of fresh air. Nothing to complain about, just sit back and enjoy it. Plus I've only physically been to 1 game, so can't really give more insight than others based on what I see on RamsTV. With other regular posters being based in Manchester, Surrey, and even Holland (though very busy a poster), perhaps its the same? A bit of controversy might ramp things up, but numbers are thin, there's only so much one can contribute and in my experience, those who say the most, usually have the least to say.

Generation: I feel I'm probably one of the younger posters across the 2 boards, and I'm the wrong side of 30, younger people don't seem to frequent football forums as much as 10 years ago, when forums were generally more popular than facebook.

OT threads: I know it's a bit hypocritical as I'm posting on 1, but if I was a new visitor to this board and I read the threads on the 1st page of this forum, I wouldn't be signing up. It puts me off as a long term poster. It's one thing to post about the cricket or music, its another to be posting about politics all the time, too serious and too many people become easily volatile. In the past I've met with board members with very different views, and had a good beer. Now, I don't think people would do so, the last board meet I can recall (although I didn't attend, ironically I met with ex board members) was the Wembley loss 4 years ago. It used to be regular, there were even football matches between rival boards. If we did it now, I'd expect Swale to turn up with razors on his studs and Awks to be on hunger strike.
    ‘Wrong side of thirty’...you old git! Parky’s got older underpants!

Take some of your points Adi and you’re probably right about Facebook although it’s not a world I inhabit so I wouldn’t know.

Not sure I agree that conclusions based on watching TV are any less valid than those formed from within the ground.
    As far as O/T’s are concerned...the threads that have generated the most responses recently seem to be Brexit, Burkas and Motor Sport. I know Swale can be particularly and unnecessarily aggressive about the former but he also makes some very good points and I think, in general, the Brexit tone on here has usually been more respectful than that involving members of the current ruling Party.

Anyway...can anything be done? No chance of a debate on Kavanaugh then.

RA Adi does have a point it is supposed to be a Derby football site Gets a bit depressing with some of OT threads I started a thread about a Derby player not one reply F1thread 87 replies sometimes wonder why I bother Incidentally I went to Loughborough last night to watch the Under23s believe or not Butters had a great game scored a very good goal and controlled midfield especially in the second half

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Is this the old "you can't tell from TV, only from being at the stadium" point of view? Either way it's not one I agree with. There are things you see on TV that you miss live. Live you can see some things that happen off the ball which you don't see on TV as the cameras are, logically, following play.

I have seen every game this season. One physically there, at OT. The rest, apart from one, including all of the pre season games, I have seen live on RamsTV or on one of those stream things when the game is on Sky. The one I missed I watched the full 90 minutes, 48 hours later.

I might have misunderstood you but you seem to imply that we can't, for some reason I can't think of be that....... what?... objective or anywhere near right just because we weren't in the stadium?

I see the games, I process what I have seen and then comment on that. I see nothing wrong in that and my view is, IMO, as valid as that of anybody who was actually there. These fora are there to share one's opinion on things you know, have seen or heard. Some is mere hearsay but that is why many post that stuff as "rumour".

If I am wrong, I would gladly take on board any positive critique.
    No, you are not wrong at all. I find your posts very enjoyable to read, and your coaches eye picks up things that I wouldn't. I just generally find myself with more of an opinion walking away from a game, than I do watching the highlights / listening to Radio Derby. I rarely watch the whole thing on replay, I'd have more to offer if I did.

1. and I'm the wrong side of 30, younger people don't seem to frequent football forums as much as 10 years ago, when forums were generally more popular than facebook.

2 Is this the old "you can't tell from TV, only from being at the stadium" point of view? Either way it's not one I agree with. There are things you see on TV that you miss live. Live you can see some things that happen off the ball which you don't see on TV as the cameras are, logically, following play.

2 key points which I've been saying for years.

1. Forums are dying because younger people prefer 'faster things' - instant messaging, Facebook and social media where you engage with a wider variety of people.

But some on these boards, not really referring to DCM, cannot seem to grasp this basic fact. Most are older hence the refusal to understand why young people don't come and post. And they stick stubbornly to the belief that 'forums' are supposed to be the 'in thing.' Yes it was, prior to these we could only talk to fellow fans at games or in bars and clubs. But forums made it possible and these old fogeys when they joined, they were like kids in a candy shop and thus have a lifelong attachment and cannot accept that this is a dying method of communication.

2 classic examples, is our own Red Basie and his Notts boyfriend. Both seem to think the forum is the main way of communicating. It became an obsession with them. The latter is even crazier - he actually 'files' posts from threads in order to use them to win an argument. He's got like a whole cabinet dedicated to myself during my 'war' with Basie. The more outrageous claim I made, the more excited he got. The 2 of them actually believed everything I wrote was true. So me and Tricky had lots of fun keeping them busy.

2. As for point 2, I really don't get this - why some fans who go to games, seem to regard themselves as 'true and proper' fans.
    Your own mistaram seems to think so, just because I live half a globe away means I know squat and cannot be a proper fan. To all these people I ask, ' do you live in cave?' Haven't you realised football is global? And more importantly, it's because fans like myself and loads of others all over the globe are prepared to pay exorbitant fees to watch English footy on TV, English football is flourishing, because of the billions flowing in. If we go back to the old days, where clubs relied mainly on gate revenue and the occasional hand-out from a televised game, football in England will be as weak as the Dutch league and several clubs will be in danger of going bust.

The fan in the stadium is very important, you get the chance to motivate your team and encourage them, but the fan watching far away is just as important, because he indirectly helps in who you get to see in the flesh.

And to add, like what MA says, live you are like the ref, you only get to catch that fleeting moment, no replays for you (of course they have TVs now at grounds too). Sure it's exciting to be there in the flesh, but sometimes depending where you sit, you don't really get to everything and may actually miss the key moment at the other end. I've always hated being at either end. I want tickets dead in the middle or as close to it as possible. But unfortunately these are also the priciest seats.

You shoulda started a thread about that, you are probs the best eyes and ears we have on the forum

No, you are not wrong at all. I find your posts very enjoyable to read, and your coaches eye picks up things that I wouldn't. I just generally find myself with more of an opinion walking away from a game, than I do watching the highlights / listening to Radio Derby. I rarely watch the whole thing on replay, I'd have more to offer if I did.
    That's the thing with replays isn't it? Seems almost impossible to watch a whole game after you know what the result is.
    Heck I haven't even watched the full game of both the European Finals we won. And doubt I ever will.
    Seems strange though, I can watch reruns of several movies I like, eg: The Godfather (8x) Dirty Harry movies at least thrice each and even last week watched Goodfellas again for fun. The 6th time I believe.

But never for a football match. The last replay I watched in full was back in the 80s when live footy was rare and VCRs were the new rage which finally allowed us to capture those special moments on tape. And being a kid, meant you needed someone to bring you to games. So replays were okay then.

Quote Originally Posted by Romanis View Post
    1. and I'm the wrong side of 30, younger people don't seem to frequent football forums as much as 10 years ago, when forums were generally more popular than facebook.

2 Is this the old "you can't tell from TV, only from being at the stadium" point of view? Either way it's not one I agree with. There are things you see on TV that you miss live. Live you can see some things that happen off the ball which you don't see on TV as the cameras are, logically, following play.

2 key points which I've been saying for years.

1. Forums are dying because younger people prefer 'faster things' - instant messaging, Facebook and social media where you engage with a wider variety of people.

But some on these boards, not really referring to DCM, cannot seem to grasp this basic fact. Most are older hence the refusal to understand why young people don't come and post. And they stick stubbornly to the belief that 'forums' are supposed to be the 'in thing.' Yes it was, prior to these we could only talk to fellow fans at games or in bars and clubs. But forums made it possible and these old fogeys when they joined, they were like kids in a candy shop and thus have a lifelong attachment and cannot accept that this is a dying method of communication.

2 classic examples, is our own Red Basie and his Notts boyfriend. Both seem to think the forum is the main way of communicating. It became an obsession with them. The latter is even crazier - he actually 'files' posts from threads in order to use them to win an argument. He's got like a whole cabinet dedicated to myself during my 'war' with Basie. The more outrageous claim I made, the more excited he got. The 2 of them actually believed everything I wrote was true. So me and Tricky had lots of fun keeping them busy.

2. As for point 2, I really don't get this - why some fans who go to games, seem to regard themselves as 'true and proper' fans.
    Your own mistaram seems to think so, just because I live half a globe away means I know squat and cannot be a proper fan. To all these people I ask, ' do you live in cave?' Haven't you realised football is global? And more importantly, it's because fans like myself and loads of others all over the globe are prepared to pay exorbitant fees to watch English footy on TV, English football is flourishing, because of the billions flowing in. If we go back to the old days, where clubs relied mainly on gate revenue and the occasional hand-out from a televised game, football in England will be as weak as the Dutch league and several clubs will be in danger of going bust.

The fan in the stadium is very important, you get the chance to motivate your team and encourage them, but the fan watching far away is just as important, because he indirectly helps in who you get to see in the flesh.

And to add, like what MA says, live you are like the ref, you only get to catch that fleeting moment, no replays for you (of course they have TVs now at grounds too). Sure it's exciting to be there in the flesh, but sometimes depending where you sit, you don't really get to everything and may actually miss the key moment at the other end. I've always hated being at either end. I want tickets dead in the middle or as close to it as possible. But unfortunately these are also the priciest seats.
    There are plenty of older fans though Rom. Okay Adi might be the youngest at the moment and some - just one or two - younger contributors have proved disastrously stupid...but why did the likes of Triz, Ella, VdLH, Ramondo, Angry etc disappear...pretty sure they weren’t young. Even decent regulars like Stenson, Manx, MoP and, love him or loath him, Swale contribute less now.

As regards mistaram...he not only goes to more matches than most but also watches the youngsters, so I think your criticism is a tad unfair. I feel he does know more than most as a result and I am inclined to believe that his consistently objective first hand reports are more knowledgeable than most.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 02-10-2018 at 07:28 PM.

I didnt realise this thread was going to end up being all about AGE, and how old Anag really is...
    (soz Anag kid, I just couldnt resist that one).

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)