+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: What’s going on then?

The problems with a "north and south" divide are legion. For instance if it is the two division winners plus a playoff to determine 2 more promotions from across the two regions. Say 3 southern and one northern team win promotion and replace 4 northern teams? Then what? The leagues would need to be rebalanced every season with the midlands teams being the obvious swing teams geographically. Local rivalries in this area would suffer.

Forest, for example could find themselves playing in 3 North one season and 3 South the next one, then back into 3 North again etc. They might end up missing their local derby vs Burton or Coventry whilst still playing at the same level as them? Would be very messy

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    The problems with a "north and south" divide are legion. For instance if it is the two division winners plus a playoff to determine 2 more promotions from across the two regions. Say 3 southern and one northern team win promotion and replace 4 northern teams? Then what? The leagues would need to be rebalanced every season with the midlands teams being the obvious swing teams geographically. Local rivalries in this area would suffer.

Forest, for example could find themselves playing in 3 North one season and 3 South the next one, then back into 3 North again etc. They might end up missing their local derby vs Burton or Coventry whilst still playing at the same level as them? Would be very messy
    Yes of course, Forest could be playing 3rd tier somewhere in the future, however the same could be said of Derby. After all according to my records we've only ever been relegated there twice spending a total of 3 seasons. However Derby has also been relegated there twice, and if my memory serves me, I think the Rams spent an extra season compared to us.

Quote Originally Posted by Romanis View Post
    Yes of course, Forest could be playing 3rd tier somewhere in the future, however the same could be said of Derby. After all according to my records we've only ever been relegated there twice spending a total of 3 seasons. However Derby has also been relegated there twice, and if my memory serves me, I think the Rams spent an extra season compared to us.
    Indeed the same could be said of Derby Rom, however, Geoff did say "for instance". I never had you down as suffering from "long toe" syndrome........

Quote Originally Posted by Romanis View Post
    Your records, much as your club, are therefore wrong

Notts Forest spent two years in 3 South in 49-50-51 finishing 4th (to champions Notts County) and winning it
    in 1950-51; more recently 3 years were spent in Division 3 finishing 7th, Yeovil and 2nd (auto)

We however have spent 4 as you correctly note

Your records, much as your club, are therefore
    wrong

Notts Forest spent two years in 3 South in 49-50-51 finishing 4th (to champions Notts County) and winning it
    in 1950-51; more recently 3 years were spent in Division 3 finishing 7th, Yeovil and 2nd (auto)

Have you forgot they were in the third tier from 2006 - 2009

Quote Originally Posted by mistaram View Post
    Have you forgot they were in the third tier from 2006 - 2009
    erm no, that's why I refer to their more recent three years finishing 7th, Yeobil and 2nd (auto) in my original post

Your records, much as your club, are therefore wrong

I stand corrected. However the point is not lost, Derby have just as good a chance of playing in this division. In fact, it seems to more succinct to your earlier point about boundaries since you were in Div 3 North. It could also so be Div 3 South if as you suggest happens.

Romany: Did I ever suggest otherwise? But actually you historically have a 25% higher chance of playing in the 3rd tier than us, Lets agree that we both would like to see Leicester in the third tier.

Its weird isn't it, we played in 3N and you in 3S, despite Nottingham being a fraction further north than Derby

Romany: Did I ever suggest otherwise? But actually you historically have a 25% higher chance of playing in the 3rd tier than us, Lets agree that we both would like to see Leicester in the third tier.

Its weird isn't it, we played in 3N and you in 3S, despite Nottingham being a fraction further north than Derby
    Fine lines Geoff. Culturally I’m a northerner, brought up about seventy miles from Derby but probably only about 35 miles north of Derby itself and from that youthful perspective both Derby and Nottingham were very firmly in the Midlands despite Allan Sillitoe’s attempts to make Nottingham seem like the definition of a northern city.
    I actually think that any ‘north south’ divide is more fittingly drawn between the Wash and the Severn than horizontally across the country. Even then there will obviously be exceptions and I’m pretty sure it doesn’t help the Division 3 N&S debate.

Quote Originally Posted by GUNTERYY36 View Post
    Maybe but I've still 18 years left in me. Although by then I'll have lost count. I'm all for that new format. More local derbies, bigger crowds, etc. The current system ensures success for some, permanent failure for others. Same old, same old. Sky money has killed off what was once something we all looked forward to. Freezing cold Saturday afternoons, keeping warm with a Bovril, a crusty pork pie past its sell by date, throwing toilet rolls if your team scored, moaning about the state of the stand, then best of all wondering who you'd get in Monday's FA Cup draw. And that was just the Man Utd fans!
    I think we better leave this thread now eh Gunter, its got waaay too Midlandsey for us Yorkies hasn't it. lol
    (and yes ok, it does exactly what it says on the tin... this is the Derby board after all).

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)