+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: What’s going on then?

Is Burke another of those "can only play at one club" merchants that the Tree Huggers seem to have an endless supply of. Look how many players Cloughie sold for megabucks and bought them back for peanuts 1 to 2 years later as they weren't doing the business at their new club?

Quote Originally Posted by Romanis View Post
    Unconfirmed reports suggest you're on to something, the bugger's been fudging with his age. I've seen reports of him being the opposite of 47 - 74. Whichever is true, the chances of him watching Barnsley in the Prem is slim to none and slim has already left the building....
    That's really harsh, Romanis. It doesn't really matter anyway because in my opinion the league format will change soon and be almost unrecognisable. I reckon it will be Premiership, Championship and Third divisions North and Third South. Barnsley will be back in the second tier, their rightful home. We have that in common with you lot I might celebrate our promotion when I reach...er...47!

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Is Burke another of those "can only play at one club" merchants that the Tree Huggers seem to have an endless supply of. Look how many players Cloughie sold for megabucks and bought them back for peanuts 1 to 2 years later as they weren't doing the business at their new club?
    What a tosh comment that is.

Burke is a classic case of a youngster leaving a club too early. 20 odd performances then, finds himself in Germany at 18 with a £13 M price tag around his neck. Bamford is another example of this.

Perhaps you are going to say that academy players like Reid /Dawson/ Laschelles/ Morgan/ Prutton/ Jenas/ Gemill/Stone/Wright -Phillips/Walker/Woodcock/ all failed?
    Or the current crop of Osborn/Cash/Brereton/Worrall are all doomed to failure?
    I won't even start on the kids at U16/17/18

Which mega bucks players are you referring to?
    There has been players returning, but mega bucks? Behave.

Quote Originally Posted by GUNTERYY36 View Post
    That's really harsh, Romanis. It doesn't really matter anyway because in my opinion the league format will change soon and be almost unrecognisable. I reckon it will be Premiership, Championship and Third divisions North and Third South. Barnsley will be back in the second tier, their rightful home. We have that in common with you lot I might celebrate our promotion when I reach...er...47!
    Err Gunt, you've been 47 for about 18 years now havent you ?. (go on, be honest!)
    Would it be such a bad thing btw if the lower two Divisions did regionalise again. I think we're heading that way towards an extended Premship & Champship soon, where they get even more money thrown at them and the rest have to fight for scraps.

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    Err Gunt, you've been 47 for about 18 years now havent you ?. (go on, be honest!)
    Would it be such a bad thing btw if the lower two Divisions did regionalise again. I think we're heading that way towards an extended Premship & Champship soon, where they get even more money thrown at them and the rest have to fight for scraps.
    I used to like Barnsley until I found out, you supported them!!

Tricky has answered the question admirably. However I do get what you are on about Cloughie's players. Players like Birtles, Burns, Lloyd and maybe Robertson. Maybe you could add Davenport too. However you must remember most of these players were going no where in their careers until Ol' Big 'ead 'rescued' them and in many aspects changed their usual style of play to suit something he was after and thus they succeeded. And he was a master motivator. Take Robertson, an out of pace winger, who was fat and smoked. Yet he became one of the best wingers in Europe. I've yet to see an English/British player who could cross a ball like him. Beckham probably the closest. Only a Figo or Zidane or Hagi could provide better crosses than the Jock and 1 of the best penalty takers ever.

However once they left Clough's ambit, under a different manager and different style they couldn't perform as before.
    That said there are many others that Clough sold who went on and did the business just as good. Anderson, Woodcock (at Cologne), Francis and Walker. And then there's Keane and Sheringham, 2 of Man Utd's greatest ever players.

But of course, we all know Cloughie had another reason to sell and buy players, but let that not tarnish his near perfect reputation at our clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Romanis View Post
    Tricky has answered the question admirably. However I do get what you are on about Cloughie's players. Players like Birtles, Burns, Lloyd and maybe Robertson. Maybe you could add Davenport too. However you must remember most of these players were going no where in their careers until Ol' Big 'ead 'rescued' them and in many aspects changed their usual style of play to suit something he was after and thus they succeeded. And he was a master motivator. Take Robertson, an out of pace winger, who was fat and smoked. Yet he became one of the best wingers in Europe. I've yet to see an English/British player who could cross a ball like him. Beckham probably the closest. Only a Figo or Zidane or Hagi could provide better crosses than the Jock and 1 of the best penalty takers ever.

However once they left Clough's ambit, under a different manager and different style they couldn't perform as before.
    That said there are many others that Clough sold who went on and did the business just as good. Anderson, Woodcock (at Cologne), Francis and Walker. And then there's Keane and Sheringham, 2 of Man Utd's greatest ever players.

But of course, we all know Cloughie had another reason to sell and buy players, but let that not tarnish his near perfect reputation at our clubs.
    You have explained the point I wanted to make admirably. It is indeed the players you mention, Birtles etc to whom I was referring.

Tricky is also right with the list of players who have made a fist of it elsewhere but I wrote about those Cloughie sold for quite a lot and bought back for a lot less 1 to 2 years later. He seems to have read that ALL NFFC sales were disasters. I don't believe I did.

I asked a question about Burke based on something that has happened quite a few times with NFFC sales. I did not write always......

With regard to the best crosser. Robbo was indeed very good. I would respectfully suggest that Hinton was an even better crosser of a ball. He did it from both wings with either foot. If he got clattered a few times early doors he would venture back into his own half and cross from there, exactly where John O'Hare wanted it, be that to head, body or feet.

What the 2 also have in common is that they went to Derby from Forest.

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    Maybe but I've still 18 years left in me. Although by then I'll have lost count. I'm all for that new format. More local derbies, bigger crowds, etc. The current system ensures success for some, permanent failure for others. Same old, same old. Sky money has killed off what was once something we all looked forward to. Freezing cold Saturday afternoons, keeping warm with a Bovril, a crusty pork pie past its sell by date, throwing toilet rolls if your team scored, moaning about the state of the stand, then best of all wondering who you'd get in Monday's FA Cup draw. And that was just the Man Utd fans!
    Last edited by GUNTERYY36; 15-10-2018 at 11:16 AM.

You have explained the point I wanted to make admirably. It is indeed the players you mention, Birtles etc to whom I was referring.

Tricky is also right with the list of players who have made a fist of it elsewhere but I wrote about those Cloughie sold for quite a lot and bought back for a lot less 1 to 2 years later. He seems to have read that ALL NFFC sales were disasters. I don't believe I did.

I asked a question about Burke based on something that has happened quite a few times with NFFC sales. I did not write always......

With regard to the best crosser. Robbo was indeed very good. I would respectfully suggest that Hinton was an even better crosser of a ball. He did it from both wings with either foot. If he got clattered a few times early doors he would venture back into his own half and cross from there, exactly where John O'Hare wanted it, be that to head, body or feet.

What the 2 also have in common is that they went to Derby from Forest.
    Let's put it this way, I did not see Hinton in the flesh only Mr J N Robertson, so I'll accept your point at face value. But then again, you do produce the valid evidence. This is classic Cloughie. Keep football simple. Pass the ball from defense to a midfielder, who then supplies the winger who in turn produces the pinpoint cross for a big striker to nod home or finish.

Still I did say since Robbo, given that Hinton was pre-Robbo, my analysis is still valid from the year 1977 onwards. I'm really struggling to find a winger just as good. perhaps Cowans at Villa or Steven at Everton? Excepting Becks of course.

Oh btw, I certainly do hope history will repeat itself and we get to buy back Burke at a bargain price.
    Last edited by Romanis; 15-10-2018 at 06:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GUNTERYY36 View Post
    Maybe but I've still 18 years left in me. Although by then I'll have lost count. I'm all for that new format. More local derbies, bigger crowds, etc. The current system ensures success for some, permanent failure for others. Same old, same old. Sky money has killed off what was once something we all looked forward to. Freezing cold Saturday afternoons, keeping warm with a Bovril, a crusty pork pie past its sell by date, throwing toilet rolls if your team scored, moaning about the state of the stand, then best of all wondering who you'd get in Monday's FA Cup draw. And that was just the Man Utd fans!
    I have my doubts about reviving the old Third Division North and South. It was killed off for a reason, why bring it back? What you could have is an imbalance. Say the strongest sides are in 1 division, whilst the other is comparatively weaker. That would mean the promoted sides from that division are given an easier pass into Tier 2.
    1 option would be to employ the MLS play-off system. Top 8 from each go to the play-offs with the final few gaining promotion.
    But the obvious drawbacks are 1) the disparity will still exist albeit on a lesser scale and 2) the whole league season would be meaningless exercise. What's the use of finishing top or second if you fail to get promoted?

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)