+ Visit Wolverhampton Wanderers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

View Poll Results: What Will The Outcome Be?

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wolves v Southampton Matchday Thread

2-0 ffs!!!

And now Jonny puts us up 2-0!!!! After coming close in the first half and against United last week, he gets his first in a Wolves shirt

2-0 FT

5 match unbeaten streak. 11 points from a possible 15 in that span. Brilliant! Substitutions made the difference.

A disappointing performance today, although Southampton were a better side than I expected them to be. However, a two nil win and three more points were very welcome. If 38 points is now the safety mark for survival, twenty six more are needed.

For the seventh time this season Nuno sent out the same starting eleven, with Cavelerio the only change to the bench. Warm September sunshine greeted the teams and Wolves were soon on the front foot, with McCarthy in the Saints goal having to make several saves. As the half wore on Southampton gained a foot hole in the game, moving the ball around the midfield and closing down the threat from Wolves wing backs. We were fortunate that their attackers were worse than ours ,when it came to getting shots on target. A goalless first half was all that either side deserved.

Was it going to be one of those days? The referee who had let more than a few tackles go unpunished eventually carded Bertrand who was soon joined on a yellow by Jota. It looked to as if Jota had slipped as he tried to make his tackle but despite his protests, his card stood. Costa who had suffered a heavy challenge early in the half hobbled off and was replaced by Traore. The later was soon subjected to some rough treatment but was causing the red and white defenders problems. Johnny was the next in the refs book followed by Traore shortly before Jota was replaced by Caveleiro.

Within two minutes of Cavs introduction Wolves took the lead when Adama broke free, before feeding Jimenez who teed up Cav to drive the ball into the net, much to the delight of the home supporters. The away side looked a bit shell shocked at this point and when Jonny hammered home a Docherty cross from close range you could hear the home fans sigh of relief. Despite five minutes of injury time, we held on for a hard earned three points.

Sitting eighth in the table and looking down on Man United feels good tonight. We got away with one today and the high standards that we have set need to be restored asap.

It appears that Roy Kean was in the stands for the game against Southampton watching Matt Docherty.. He will have done his International chances no harm after his performance today.

I just have to say how pleased I am that Cav is back. As he showed today, he can be an inspiration!

Have just watched the game in total several hours after the match was played. In spite of a great result for Wolves, it flattered our worst performance this season and we must consider ourselves a trifle fortunate. Gone was the sublime, creative, football and the sharpness we have become accustomed to. For much of the game I thought we were second best, but, now, who cares ? Someone once said that a team that plays well below their ability but is still able to win, is the sign of a good team. I like to think they were right, but please let's have no more lacklustre performances the like of which we witnessed today....Wolves Forever !!!

P.S. Thanks for another great report, Abbo'
    Last edited by GrizzledWolf; 30-09-2018 at 04:15 AM.

Thanks Grizz, I always look forward to report from Wolves 71 because we don't always see the same things. I wonder, if I was the coach how would I feel about our second goal.

We are suddenly leading in a game we should perhaps not have been with about ten minutes to go and our right wing back finds himself with the ball on the right hand side of the penalty area. He looks for a pass, finds a player, who slides a shot into the net through their impressive keeper. However, the player he finds on the right side, is our left wing back Jonny Otto!

As a coach do you give him a rocket for being there or praise his reckless positioning?

A bit late from me with this, but here goes. I thought we started the game well, but slowly Southampton were pressing us and didn't really give us much time on the ball. Our passing wasn't really up to the excellent standard that has been on display all season, even the likes of Neves were making mistakes, which was down to to the Southampton midfield closing us quickly. The usual threat of Wolves attacking down either flanks was also stopped.

What i do know is though, on chances alone and saves made by the Southampton keeper McCarthy, at least Wolves tested him. Wolves could really have been a couple of goals up going into the break with ones that fell to Jonny and Jiminez, the latter is a great addition to the starting eleven, he works tirelessly on and off the ball.

People often look at the stats from games and look at possession and efforts on goal, i remember the Saints having chances, but only one real effort that Patricio had to deal with and that was in the second half at the Stan Cullis end of the ground. I think praise and credit must go to Nuno for making the changes he did. I think the away would probably have settled for a point.

I have credit to both Costa and Jota over the last couple of games for playing a big part, but yesterday it wasn't happening for either. It was sad to see Costa go off injured, i just hope it's not too serious. Every now and again though, one player gets injured it opens the door up for another. The introduction of both Traore and a little later of Cavaleiro. Both subs played a big part in the victory. Traore may be frustrating at times, but his run, holding up the ball and then playing it to Jiminez was quality, who into turn laid it off for Cavaleiro to score. It was good to see Cav back and make a big impact. I said earlier about Southampton pressing and stopping us playing through the middle and then also down the flanks, but our subs stopped that, and it was good to also see Doherty's run to tee up another wing back Jonny to score.

To sum up, it's three points, it was pretty, but the record books will show 2-0. When things are at a stalemate, Wolves have players on the bench who can come on and make an impact.

Thanks, Gav', for another incisive account. For me, the match reports provided by you and Abbo' are always a welcome addition to the 'official' media accounts, often providing a different perspective. This is particularly helpful when I 've not been able to see for myself. You may think my criticism of our performance yesterday a trifle harsh, but, too often, passes were going astray and Neves was not the only offender. It all seemed so alien to the high standard performances we've been privileged to watch this season. No doubt, Nuno, would have been pleased with the result (as were we all), but I don't imagine he was totally impressed by the way we went about it. Anyway, following the Leicester game earlier in the season, I think Lady Luck owed us that one.

Abbo', I can only assume Nuno had given Otto licence to 'roam'. He was certainly in the right place at the right time. I too have some sympathy for their 'keeper who, in spite of Cav's great goal, had worked so hard to deny us during the afternoon.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)