+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: New manager?

Yes. She managed a men's side.

OK then let her try her hand at a league two side, not the 6th biggest club in the country whose choice of manager right now is critical and no time for experiments

Every managerial appointment is an experiment.

Yes, but all come with varying degree of risk, some have disaster written all over them, this is one, so is Mckinlay, Mcintyre, Ellis etc

No one is really going to choose those options if for example Wright was realistic... That's worse than not sacking Laszlo in April time

Especially in our situation, we need to make a common sense appointment, one that ticks most boxes, Neilson and Wright stand out

Quote Originally Posted by shedka View Post
    Yes, but all come with varying degree of risk, some have disaster written all over them, this is one, so is Mckinlay, Mcintyre, Ellis etc

No one is really going to choose those options if for example Wright was realistic... That's worse than not sacking Laszlo in April time

Especially in our situation, we need to make a common sense appointment, one that ticks most boxes, Neilson and Wright stand out
    My problem with your thinking is that you are really pinning all your hopes on one man (Robbie Neilson) and claiming that everything else will be a disaster which you can't know and you will not be in the board room listening to what candidates are saying during interviews. I agree that Robbie Neilson may well be the stand out candidate, but people like Billy McKinlay may well have a lot to offer. If United board don't appoint Neilson for whatever reason, its sounds like you will starting a negative campaign from day 1, which is not what we will need during the coming period.

Lets be honest most of this is subjective and gut feeling. I have no idea why i think Neilson will be better than say Hughes other than the latters gadgey voice

Frank said every managerial appt is an experiment which i fully agree (although his context is deliberately trying to generate discussion to prove a point i reckon).

I was against Mixu, wasnt overly keen on Ray but backed him 100%. I didnt want Csaba initially but there were lots of comments about a last a proper manager etc etc. The point here is we just dont know as history is only one part of the jigsaw the board need to piece together to get it right - then 50% of it remains luck imho

Tully saying we have contacted Neilson and Mcintyre

Well not us on here but the club

Every app is a risk. Bt Ellis proved last time that he was up to the job. He immediately changed style of play we looked more positive and won the 2 games he was in charge. Including our bogey team at the time Dumbarton.

I get why some are saying he shld bt nt be appointed as he has been assistant manger to 2 failed managers.

Bt surely given what he previously did Ellis shld also be in the frame, and nt written off and tard with same brush as RM and CL?

Quote Originally Posted by Noddydog View Post
    My problem with your thinking is that you are really pinning all your hopes on one man (Robbie Neilson) and claiming that everything else will be a disaster which you can't know and you will not be in the board room listening to what candidates are saying during interviews. I agree that Robbie Neilson may well be the stand out candidate, but people like Billy McKinlay may well have a lot to offer. If United board don't appoint Neilson for whatever reason, its sounds like you will starting a negative campaign from day 1, which is not what we will need during the coming period.

If its a an appointment like Ellis or badger or mcintyre or yogi Hughes or john roberston then ill be negative at the time of appointment as for me Neilson stands out above them, I would back them and see how they do, if they deserve backing they will get it from me that's for sure as some previous managers have had

It may seem like I'm pinning hopes on only Neilson, however back in May when Csaba should have been sacked i had a list of 5 I thought would be excellent appointments

Robbie Neilson
    Tommy Wright
    David Hopkin
    Stuart McCall
    Sir Peter Houston

The latter three have new jobs since, Wright is unlikely to leave Perth for us, Neilson is available, I've been hoping he didn't take any other job recently, like St Mirren which he turned down or had the fun sacked the pundit first and gone for him, for me he is the one that ticks all the boxes for us to move forward under for the next few years, just makes sense, I have a Levein type confidence in him, even though we had so many failed managers just prior to Levein, I had no doubt he would bring back the good times, I have that feeling here for whatever reason so don't want us to miss it

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/...r-13364300.amp

A bit today of Neilson discussing his championship season at Hearts

Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)