+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: New manager?

The thing is, now it's been made public and whether true or not, if we win on saturday and another team i.e. the fun lose, might they strike first, sack the pundit and offer Neilson the job. If he accepts, we are then left with the usual suspects to chose from...

I've just gave you three comparisons off the top of my head as to why it's meaningless in this case, it won't affect his ability to do well in Scotland (again) , would you have said no to Levein when we hired him? or Lennon when Hibs hired him? Etc

Quote Originally Posted by PortugueseFrank View Post
    Laszlo has nothing to do with this debate. So I don't get why you're bringing this up. What's done is done. I've moved on, so should you.

I have, I've debunked your concerns over the stint on England by giving examples, very good ones all very similar to Neilson in Levein, McInnes and Lennon

Even if he was half as decent as he was at Hearts then we will improve significantly from what we have been under Laszlo

Quote Originally Posted by shedka View Post
    He started well however wrong club and wrong time to try England

I'm only interested in what he did in Scotland, just like I was when we got Levein after after his failure at Leicester, just like Aberdeen were after McInnes failed at Bristol, just like Hibs after Lennon failed at Bolton, they all realised they were proven good managers in Scotland from before those stints down south
    That's a good point for anyone doubting his credentials after MK Dons.
    What he brings to the table from his previous job in Scotland is a well organised, coherent Hearts side that romped the championship title having started from rock bottom (administration).
    At least we could have some confidence that he has a clue what he's doing, rather than acting like a maniac and waffling pish.

Quote Originally Posted by PortugueseFrank View Post
    Levein had been a manager for 9 years when we hired him and Lennon 6 when Hibs hired him.

Neilson has been a manager for 3 and half years. 2 of which were good and the more recent part not so good.

Neilson is a good candidate. But he is not an outstanding candidate for me. But then again in our current state we arent likely to attract outstanding candidates.

Levein cut his teeth in lower reaches after retiring early, Neilson went head first into Hearts job, Levein only had 3 years as Hearts manager before going to Leicester, Mcinnes was at St Johnstone for a couple years then away to Bristol

Any other good candidates like Wright have jobs and won't come imo

Levein had been a manager for 9 years when we hired him and Lennon 6 when Hibs hired him.

Neilson has been a manager for 3 and half years. 2 of which were good and the more recent part not so good.

Neilson is a good candidate. But he is not an outstanding candidate for me. But then again in our current state we arent likely to attract outstanding candidates at present.

Quote Originally Posted by shedka View Post
    Levein cut his teeth in lower reaches after retiring early, Neilson went head first into Hearts job, Levein only had 3 years as Hearts manager before going to Leicester, Mcinnes was at St Johnstone for a couple years then away to Bristol

Any other good candidates like Wright have jobs and won't come imo
    I'm hopeful a more inspiring candidate shows up

Like who Frank? Clubs a rocket and every appointment a risk. Folk on here obviously know more than me what it takes to get us up or improved but i want a motivator. Would like attacking football too. But it was the right thing to sack laszlo. There is however every chance our next manager fails as well.

Id love big dunc as it would help with a boost but would he be a success - who knows. He also wouldnt come would he!

I don't know who.

I am hoping some outstanding candidates we haven't thought of apply.

Don't think there will be any quick appointments as a number of the applicants will need to be interviewed and perhaps a few others are waiting in the wing to put their names forward.

It's never easy knowing the best manager for the job - really tough call.

However, there do appear to be 2 - 3 good candidates putting their names forward - so Tannadice could be buzzing soon-ish.

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)