+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: O/T Wasting Your Life

Quote Originally Posted by 9goals2hattricks3pen View Post
    Couple of metal dectorists on the beach last night. That I don't get. Do they ever find anything?

Having said that as long as it's not doing any harm then what is the harm.

Do some running and get a bit of a high out of acheiving and do feel a bit smug about being able to do 10k at my age.
    They do find stuff and that's why we have museums where finds like the Staffordshire Hoard are displayed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/stoke/hi...00/8352927.stm

And re you being "a bit smug", never.

Me I did 53

Watching f1 racing what the **** that all about.going to the gym walking on a treadmill,when you can walk in the park.buying bottle water when it free out the tap and just as good.and they put a best before date on the bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by BaggieBlood View Post
    They do find stuff and that's why we have museums where finds like the Staffordshire Hoard are displayed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/stoke/hi...00/8352927.stm

And re you being "a bit smug", never.
    When I wrote smug I guessed poor old BB would respond.

Suppose I am a bit smug about things that matter a lot to me like being reasonably fit and healthy. However I don't think others see me a smug. In fact I consider my only failing is I am too modest about my achievements.

PS BB do you want to buy or rent a flat. We have a few around the country you could choose from?
    Last edited by 9goals2hattricks3pen; 02-10-2018 at 10:39 AM.

Couple of metal dectorists on the beach last night. That I don't get. Do they ever find anything?

Having said that as long as it's not doing any harm then what is the harm.

Do some running and get a bit of a high out of acheiving and do feel a bit smug about being able to do 10k at my age.
    I'm a recent addition to the metal detecting fraternity,one of the best moves I've ever done.
    Admittedly,99% of my finds have only been suitable for Steve Bull's tat wagon ...but I've had a few decent bits as well.

Quote Originally Posted by greyhound View Post
    I'm a recent addition to the metal detecting fraternity,one of the best moves I've ever done.
    Admittedly,99% of my finds have only been suitable for Steve Bull's tat wagon ...but I've had a few decent bits as well.
    Then I take it all back. There are many many things in life I don't get but if folk get pleasure from them then good on ya.

What do you class as decent bits?

When I wrote smug I guessed poor old BB would respond.

Suppose I am a bit smug about things that matter a lot to me like being reasonably fit and healthy. However I don't think others see me a smug. In fact I consider my only failing is I am too modest about my achievements.

PS BB do you want to buy or rent a flat. We have a few around the country you could choose from?
    What age are you 923 and what sort of times do you run 10k in?

In my late 20’s I could do 10k in 36.05 but injuries have taken there toll and at almost 57 I still do 4.5 miles a day but I walk for 2 miles and run 2.5 once I’m warmed up.

I challenge myself every birthday to see what I can do a mile in and usually it’s around 7 minutes ( which is good for my age ) and I think I could probably get down to 6 minutes 30 secs at a push but I just can’t sustain running for more than 2-3 miles in our climate in the wind and cold.

In warmer climes I can still do 5 miles though in benign conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    What age are you 923 and what sort of times do you run 10k in?

In my late 20’s I could do 10k in 36.05 but injuries have taken there toll and at almost 57 I still do 4.5 miles a day but I walk for 2 miles and run 2.5 once I’m warmed up.

I challenge myself every birthday to see what I can do a mile in and usually it’s around 7 minutes ( which is good for my age ) and I think I could probably get down to 6 minutes 30 secs at a push but I just can’t sustain running for more than 2-3 miles in our climate in the wind and cold.

In warmer climes I can still do 5 miles though in benign conditions.

In my 20's and 30's I only ran to get fit for football. Never really timed myself but I would guess I never got down to 6.30 and certainly not 10k in 36 mins.. I retired 9 years ago and after putting on a bit of weight I started running. I recently joined a running club (nothing like as serious as it sounds) and now try to do a session of speed work, an hour of stamina and most Saturdays I do a 5k Park Run for which my PB is 27 mins, I am trying to improve it.
    My kids want me to do a half marathon but I'm not motivated enough to put the training in.
    It's cheap, gets me outdoors and occasionally the whole family joins in. What's not to like?

I'll do a mile and let you know.

I'm 64.

Nice one.

I wholeheartedly agree you are definitely too modest.

Who knew until this post that you could tell the future, even if it was just a guess.

Thanks for the offer of a flat, I really appreciate it. When I need one I'll let you know.

I just hope you take dss.

Thanks again for the offer though.

Have a great day.

In my 20's and 30's I only ran to get fit for football. Never really timed myself but I would guess I never got down to 6.30 and certainly not 10k in 36 mins.. I retired 9 years ago and after putting on a bit of weight I started running. I recently joined a running club (nothing like as serious as it sounds) and now try to do a session of speed work, an hour of stamina and most Saturdays I do a 5k Park Run for which my PB is 27 mins, I am trying to improve it.
    My kids want me to do a half marathon but I'm not motivated enough to put the training in.
    It's cheap, gets me outdoors and occasionally the whole family joins in. What's not to like?

I'll do a mile and let you know.

I'm 64.
    5k in 27 mins is an extremely good time for a fit 50 year old never mind a 64 year old,you’re doing 8 minute miles which is good form.

I get where you’re coming from with half marathons,I used to train up to 50 miles a week but I only tried the half marathon distance and although I did it in under 1 hour 27minutes I got no pleasure from it.

Can I suggest you try 10k races,there’s a lot to choose from and you don’t have to do much more ( if any ) extra training.

I’ve done a few and find them good fun and a more sensible distance to challenge yourself over.

I’d suggest that in your age group you would be very competitive and probably be a top ten finisher.

Let me know your mile time and I’ll test mine early next week.

Where’s your park run held?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)