+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Take your pick

Of course, can we afford to gamble on an unknown entity? We were after all told that we could afford to wait much longer to sack the manager or we would be cut adrift.

I kid of course.

On a serious note, if Ellis loses next two there will be calls for him to get punted asap.

I hope he wins every game and gets the gig so we can save money.

An experienced assistant might be needed. But then again, maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_Dyer View Post
    Of course he'll be given the chance. The idiots in charge at Tannadice are praying that he will get off to a decent start, win the fans over and they wont have to spend a single penny.

The issue is, he may well win his first 2 or 3 games, get the gig permanently then when the inevitable Xmas/New year slump comes, a decent candidate like Neilson will be long gone.

Laurie Ellis has assisted in 2 disastrous regimes and doesn't strike me as having the minerals to be his own man. In fact if he wasn't pals with Ray he'd be nowhere near a club like United.

It's idiotic decision making like this that really drives home how utterly inept our BOD really are!
    I see your point, but a lot of managers start out the same way. If you haven't had a strong career as a player, then your only real route to management is by working your way up.

Don't think PH would have been anywhere near our club either if it weren't for CL and he went on to win us our only trophy in the last 2 decades.

Still, I have my doubts about appointing a complete rookie. I'm even a bit uneasy about RN experience level and he's had 2 managers jobs!

Quote Originally Posted by PortugueseFrank View Post
    Of course, can we afford to gamble on an unknown entity? We were after all told that we could afford to wait much longer to sack the manager or we would be cut adrift.

I kid of course.

On a serious note, if Ellis loses next two there will be calls for him to get punted asap.

I hope he wins every game and gets the gig so we can save money.

An experienced assistant might be needed. But then again, maybe not.
    I posted on TT I wonder where we'd be if Ellis had been kept on back in November after his wins v Dumbarton & St Mirren. I wonder also what Ellis' relationship with Laszlo has been. The clearout excluded Ellis & I wonder how he's got on with Laszlo. Ellis will get the Ayr game & maybe Partick too & 6 points would be enough to give him the job in my book but would all fans accept the 'cheap option'. Remember Easton & Robertson are there too so maybe there's a management team in there somewhere. Ellis knows the squad better than anyone & they are largely his players too.

You make good points.

But perhaps the players associate Ellis with two failed structures now?

If he does well he'd be a fool to refuse an offer to take the team permanently.

Talking of assistants with potential it reminds me of Gordon Chisholms step up to the top job, started off with high hopes and like so many ended up on the shed boys infamous GTF Gallery. A very special character for this horrendous job.

What could be the best scenario is that Ellis is given games and gets the wins, however he keeps on going in the caretaker role. Nobody is committing to anything but if the team keep winning.................... If it ain't broke......

Quote Originally Posted by Arabs4ever View Post
    What could be the best scenario is that Ellis is given games and gets the wins, however he keeps on going in the caretaker role. Nobody is committing to anything but if the team keep winning.................... If it ain't broke......
    Hope Ellis gets it he's been your 1st team coach through your whole fizzy Pop jolly...must be some motivator😄

No one remotely gives a phuk about what you hope for Mackie Funster.

More appropriate for you to consider the motivation skills of your useless pundit.

More I think about this the better the Nielson scenario sounds. Think we could really build something with him as manager. We would need to be patient though which will not be easy.

Also would quite like Robson involved .

Lets see how Laurie Ellis gets on though in the first instance.

The club have received numerous applications according to STV news there.

Quote Originally Posted by TangerineDream View Post
    No one remotely gives a phuk about what you hope for Mackie Funster.

More appropriate for you to consider the motivation skills of your useless pundit.
    Except you 😃

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)