+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Legends of the Rams. Number 1 in a series. Dave Mackay

Legends of the Rams. Number 1 in a series. Dave Mackay

David Craig Mackay 1934 - 2015.

Dave Mackay was already a hero at two clubs, Hearts and Spurs, when Brian Clough painted him a picture of what an Indian Summer in the midlands might look like. Mackay was on the on the cusp of leaving Spurs, with whom he’d won the double in ‘61 and battled back from two broken legs, for a player manger role at Hearts where he’d won every Scottish trophy going, when Clough went knocking, but Clough’s silver tongue and an unauthorised wad of cash won the day and Mackay was Derby bound. For the next 122 games we lucky fans witnessed a masterclass as Mackay, from a deeplying sweeper role, became the mentoring, cajoling, sometimes frightening catalyst for a team of young wannabes and last chance salooners who rocketed from the yawning gap signposted div 3 to the top echelons of the world’s best league. PFA Player of the year came his way but maybe of more value he won the hearts of every single Derby fan, and three years after his fanfared departure he took on one last challenge, to turn around the post-Clough mutiny as manager, improve on Clough’s team and deliver a second League Championship.

Dave Mackay is a legend of the Rams.

Anyone?

I don't think too many will argue with that Andy. Hard as nails, fair and liked by all.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post

Dave Mackay was already a hero at two clubs, Hearts and Spurs, when Brian Clough painted him a picture of what an Indian Summer in the midlands might look like. Mackay was on the on the cusp of leaving Spurs, with whom he’d won the double in ‘61 and battled back from two broken legs, for a player manger role at Hearts where he’d won every Scottish trophy going, when Clough went knocking, but Clough’s silver tongue and an unauthorised wad of cash won the day and Mackay was Derby bound. For the next 122 games we lucky fans witnessed a masterclass as Mackay, from a deeplying sweeper role, became the mentoring, cajoling, sometimes frightening catalyst for a team of young wannabes and last chance salooners who rocketed from the yawning gap signposted div 3 to the top echelons of the world’s best league. PFA Player of the year came his way but maybe of more value he won the hearts of every single Derby fan, and three years after his fanfared departure he took on one last challenge, to turn around the post-Clough mutiny as manager, improve on Clough’s team and deliver a second League Championship.

Anyone?
    Before my time Andy, but from everything I’ve heard, read and subsequently seen he has to be up there with the best.
    No coincidence that he was always a superb role model and went on to be a great ambassador for the club right up until his death. Special character, not many around in football nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post

Anyone?
    For a moment there, I was about to accuse of plagiarism but then I remembered:

Heck he's plagiarised himself! Excerpts from your book, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Romanis View Post

Yes I’m going to sue myself for every penny I’m worth

Seriously all I’ve written is common knowledge. Hoping some more personal memories will follow

Quote Originally Posted by Romanis View Post

Ah...so not plagiarism then...just rampant self publicity .
    Can you be my agent?

I remember one Saturday during our promotion season we had only drawn at home and I was waiting for a train home to Buxton as a sad 12 year old. Dave must have been heading home after the game at the same time too, but he took the time to sit next to me and console the young Ram with wise words and a promise to win promotion for me, come what may. He put an arm round me, signed an autograph and we went our separate ways.

But he lived up to his words and he inspired the team to push on to promotion for me. I never did shout at him from the terraces for being and old slow Scotch Bxxxxxx again.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)