+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stead

Quote Originally Posted by tarquinbeech View Post
    As a team, we struggled after xmas....it was only finding Forte on the bench that got us into the play-offs
    Stead scored 8 goals in 9 games in Jan/Feb

Stead, a total credit to Notts County and to himself. Fans love a player that always gives 100% to the cause.....that’s Stead.

Quote Originally Posted by kill_the_drum View Post
    Stead scored 8 goals in 9 games in Jan/Feb
    But then dried up for the rest of the season. Like I say, I'm not criticising him because whether he scores or not he always gives you his all, but I think most observers could see he did run out of steam in the final few months, perfectly understandably.

I was all for thanking him for his service and releasing him last summer, but he triggered his automatic contract extension and on current form he's exceeding my expectations, but he needs to be managed carefully if he's going to last the season in sharp form. It would be true for any player in his mid 30s.
    Last edited by jackal2; 02-10-2018 at 10:10 PM.

I hold my hand up and admit that I thought he should have gone to the USA when he had the chance.

He's giving his all though and leads the line well. He needs careful managing - I thought he ought to have gone off tonight to give him a bit more recovery time before Saturday. But HK's the man to decide and can't really argue with 8 points from 12 and only 2 conceded in that time.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    But then dried up for the rest of the season. Like I say, I'm not criticising him because whether he scores or not he always gives you his all, but I think most observers could see he did run out of steam in the final few months, perfectly understandably.

I was all for thanking him for his service and releasing him last summer, but he triggered his automatic contract extension and on current form he's exceeding my expectations, but he needs to be managed carefully if he's going to last the season in sharp form. It would be true for any player in his mid 30s.
    To be fair not only Stead went off the boil in the second half of the season, most of the whole team did Grant for example.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    I hold my hand up and admit that I thought he should have gone to the USA when he had the chance.

He's giving his all though and leads the line well. He needs careful managing - I thought he ought to have gone off tonight to give him a bit more recovery time before Saturday. But HK's the man to decide and can't really argue with 8 points from 12 and only 2 conceded in that time.
    I agree with your sentiments but only 2 conceded? We've conceded 5 in 4 although take out the Stevenage game and looks like we've turned a corner defensively

Great to read so many excellent comments on a player who has been much maligned by so may posters on here for many months.
    His performance in leading both the line and the team last night was both outstanding and a fine example to his teammates.
    The role of Captain appears to have been an inspired decision by HK. Long may he remain fit and strong.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post

I agree completely. Last season we did not have Hemmings or Dennis so relied to heavily on Stead and Ameobi who through no fault of their own with a combined age of 71 the season took its toll on them. As others have said Forte was the man who gave us that push.

This season it’s different or it should be. We have Hemings who is currently sitting alongside in place of Ameobi. So he brings the energy up top and goals. Likewise we have Enzio on the wing who brings much needed pace and can set up goals for the likes of Stead.

The one thing that has not happened yet is Kevin Dennis. My own thoughts are that in the times I have seen him the game passed him by and he appeared to be unfit and or overweight??? A couple of shots here and there is not good enough I’m afraid.

I’m hoping his disappearance means he can come into the side at some point when Stead is ready to be rested and show us why we signed him and why he got 20 goals last season because to say I was disappointed in his performances is an understatement. But then in fairness in those first seven games not many players came out with much credit.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post
    I agree completely. Last season we did not have Hemmings or Dennis so relied to heavily on Stead and Ameobi who through no fault of their own with a combined age of 71 the season took its toll on them. As others have said Forte was the man who gave us that push.

This season it’s different or it should be. We have Hemings who is currently sitting alongside in place of Ameobi. So he brings the energy up top and goals. Likewise we have Enzio on the wing who brings much needed pace and can set up goals for the likes of Stead.

The one thing that has not happened yet is Kevin Dennis. My own thoughts are that in the times I have seen him the game passed him by and he appeared to be unfit and or overweight??? A couple of shots here and there is not good enough I’m afraid.

I’m hoping his disappearance means he can come into the side at some point when Stead is ready to be rested and show us why we signed him and why he got 20 goals last season because to say I was disappointed in his performances is an understatement. But then in fairness in those first seven games not many players came out with much credit.
    Kevin?

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post

Dennis was injured throughout preseason, bearing in mind the whole squad coming out of preseason was massively unfit, that's probably why Dennis was ineffective when he first came in the team. Although his game is different to the rest, he's very much a poacher so might work well if we pass it up to the top bunch and work it into the box

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast