+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: amalgamation

Quote Originally Posted by BCram View Post
    IMO this should be considered, and once the views are known it will be obvious that it should be rejected. There is no way that a Dundee City team will ever be stronger than an Aberdeen or Hearts or Hibs team, IMO. For 30 years the OF have dominated Scottish football and the powers that be are in their pockets. The game is totally loaded against all the other teams and as Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs are finding out it is impossible to beat teams who have much much greater resources over a whole season.

As has been said a cup win is about the best we can hope for. There is no point in an amalgamated team. You may eventually end up with about 7k of support and still never have enough money to compete.

[B]I'd much rather watch DFC in the Championship than watch an amalgamated club struggling in the SPFL[B].
    Be careful what you wish for.

I'd rather see Dundee FC as the only club in the city with the DABs out of existence. But I'd want that one club to be pure Dundee FC and competing in Premiership otherwise it's entirely pointless. Any amalgamation would end my interest in football in the city.

Remember the DFC board would have to get out of the DFCSS tie in before any amalgamation could take place unless DFCSS agree to it of course which is unlikely. Only way to do that would be to dissolve Dundee FC. DABS are not in that same position so if the boards decided to go for it it's Dundee FC that would have to cease to exist - I don't believe the board has any intention of allowing that to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Deeranged View Post

I'd rather see Dundee FC as the only club in the city with the DABs out of existence. But I'd want that one club to be pure Dundee FC and competing in Premiership otherwise it's entirely pointless. Any amalgamation would end my interest in football in the city.

Remember the DFC board would have to get out of the DFCSS tie in before any amalgamation could take place unless DFCSS agree to it of course which is unlikely. Only way to do that would be to dissolve Dundee FC. DABS are not in that same position so if the boards decided to go for it it's Dundee FC that would have to cease to exist - I don't believe the board has any intention of allowing that to happen.
    We should be exceedingly thankful that DFCSS can block an amalgamation between the two clubs otherwise there is nothing to stop FPS who own over 68% of the issued shares of Dundee Football Club Limited and Mike Martin who is the majority shareholder in Dundee United Football Company Limited agreeing to a merger of the two clubs.
    I cannot understand why the Takeover Panel have not investigated the purchase by Mike Martin who previously owned 200 shares in Dundee United Football Company Limited of Justine Mitchell’s 33% shareholding which took him over the 29.9% limit. At that point the Takeover Panel should have instructed Mike Martin to offer to purchase all the shares from the other Dundee United Football Company Limited shareholders at the same price per share as he paid Justine Mitchell for her shares.
    In my opinion this should have been carried out before Stephen Thompson sold his entire shareholding.
    Perhaps the Takeover Panel know nothing about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Deeranged View Post

totally agree that I'd rather watch DFC in the championship than an amalgamated team in the SPFL. I was trying to say that there will be no benefit in terms of building numbers for an amalgamated team and using the past 30 years as an example. Aberdeen etc have got precisely nowhere.

The idea for amalgamation needs vocal opposition whenever it is mooted. i think there are rational arguments why it won't work and just wanted to explain that nothing will change in Scotland whilst the OF have such a hold on the SFA and SPFL. As Rross says all it needs is for the two chairmen to think it is a good idea and they might be tempted to take the risk. What happens if 100% of the ST holders say they won't support the amalgamation. They won't have any supporters and I doubt if they are rich enough to run a football club with little or no income.

I'm not putting too much faith in the DFCSS shareholding Islay. I think it would cost a lot of money to mount a legal challenge and there seems, as you have pointed out yourself, little or no interest from the authorities who, IMO, would only take action if someone went to court to enforce their rights.

It's just handy to have threads like this which serve as warnings to football supporters that they need to be aware of the risks to their clubs. I don't know if our neighbours are worried that an amalgamation might happen but you would hope that they too would rather have their team to support than be part of an amalgamated team, which never forget will perform just as poorly as the single teams have done.

totally agree that I'd rather watch DFC in the championship than an amalgamated team in the SPFL. I was trying to say that there will be no benefit in terms of building numbers for an amalgamated team and using the past 30 years as an example. Aberdeen etc have got precisely nowhere.

The idea for amalgamation needs vocal opposition whenever it is mooted. i think there are rational arguments why it won't work and just wanted to explain that nothing will change in Scotland whilst the OF have such a hold on the SFA and SPFL. As Rross says all it needs is for the two chairmen to think it is a good idea and they might be tempted to take the risk. What happens if 100% of the ST holders say they won't support the amalgamation. They won't have any supporters and I doubt if they are rich enough to run a football club with little or no income.

I'm not putting too much faith in the DFCSS shareholding Islay. I think it would cost a lot of money to mount a legal challenge and there seems, as you have pointed out yourself, little or no interest from the authorities who, IMO, would only take action if someone went to court to enforce their rights.

It's just handy to have threads like this which serve as warnings to football supporters that they need to be aware of the risks to their clubs. I don't know if our neighbours are worried that an amalgamation might happen but you would hope that they too would rather have their team to support than be part of an amalgamated team, which never forget will perform just as poorly as the single teams have done.
    We have people involved in both clubs now that really cudnt give much of a toss for supporters b cram. Deeranged comments since he left dfcss have only confirmed this view for me.

No supporters but a profitable business maybe be an ideal situation for them.

I think we as a support shud be asking far far more questions than we are doing.

If this stadium does not go ahead (depending on who you listen to it either defo will or defo wont) without going all question of sport....what happens next?

All the ingredients are there and I'd say the opposition to an amalgamation has waned slightly.....at both clubs.

I once discussed this with a dab when Dundee were on the brink the 2nd time and he couldn't believe that I wud rather Dundee die rather than almalgamate or taken over. He agreed back then, now he'd almalgame and play at tannadice in a minute.

My thought process was if they died they cud be resurrected again at some point in the future, if you almalgamate or absorbed...your gone forever.

Think the owners need to be really careful about taking fans for granted.

I get the feeling that quite a lot of our fans are like me, and are still habitually going to watch Dundee out of nothing but blind loyalty and love of the club.

Scrapping that to make a new team runs the risk of these fans like me just giving up and saying feck it, it’s over, which I certainly would.

I don’t go to see A Dundee team just for enjoyment or expecting to challenge, I do it because Dundee FC are in my DNA.

I’d honestly prefer to watch a part time Dundee FC team in the bottom league.
    Last edited by Dee_Dee; 04-10-2018 at 04:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee_Dee View Post
    Think the owners need to be really careful about taking fans for granted.

I get the feeling that quite a lot of our fans are like me, and are still habitually going to watch Dundee out of nothing but blind loyalty and love of the club.

Scrapping that to make a new team runs the risk of these fans like me just giving up and saying feck it, it’s over, which I certainly would.

I don’t go to see A Dundee team just for enjoyment or expecting to challenge, I do it because Dundee FC are in my DNA.

I’d honestly prefer to watch a part time Dundee FC team in the bottom league.
    That's why this thread is important. we need to "speak truth to power" as the saying goes and let FPS know what we think. If all the ST holders are DEE supporters then no amount of soft soap will persuade them that even taking over our neighbours would be a sensible way forward. By saying nothing and letting the idea grow legs we are failing to support our club, IMO. It would be a disaster if the warnings that are being given on here were to be ignored.

I think the important thing is to make sure that the business case is thoroughly examined and my view is that it will not be viable. FPS are rational business people, although they did buy a Scottish football club, and if the money doesn't add up with an amalgamated set up then they will be much more likely to work for an improved situation for DFC, IMO.

It's a pity there are so few posters on this forum because it needs a widely based campaign to stop this worrying talk about amalgamation.

That's why this thread is important. we need to "speak truth to power" as the saying goes and let FPS know what we think. If all the ST holders are DEE supporters then no amount of soft soap will persuade them that even taking over our neighbours would be a sensible way forward. By saying nothing and letting the idea grow legs we are failing to support our club, IMO. It would be a disaster if the warnings that are being given on here were to be ignored.

I think the important thing is to make sure that the business case is thoroughly examined and my view is that it will not be viable. FPS are rational business people, although they did buy a Scottish football club, and if the money doesn't add up with an amalgamated set up then they will be much more likely to work for an improved situation for DFC, IMO.

It's a pity there are so few posters on this forum because it needs a widely based campaign to stop this worrying talk about amalgamation.
    Keep the Pravda penguins commentating on Pravda.

Cease and desist.😁

Quote Originally Posted by Returnofrros View Post
    Keep the Pravda penguins commentating on Pravda.

Cease and desist.��
    I can never guess what you are going to think of next!

I can never guess what you are going to think of next!
    In my opinion we have to keep this Amalgamation topic going otherwise we will end up sleepwalking into a merger with the Dabs.
    FPS need to state in writing if their long term plan is an amalgamation of both ourselves and United.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)