+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bristol City Post Match Thoughts

Couple of IF's

IF we'd been at full strength (or even @ 80%) then they were there for the taking

IF we'd not had to put so much into the Stoke game then maybe tiredness wouldn't have come into play
    All "shots" on target were gathered by the keeper we didn't work him

IF Williams had passed it left to Taylor, then who knows ………….

However proud of the boys again
    Can't complain about the effort and hopefully one more point to survival

Worried about January though, Semi + (IMO) Williams will be targets for other clubs

I feared the worst when I saw the team even more so when Wood pulled out but the lads did us proud with a bit more finishing skill we would have beaten a side handily placed in the division comfortably with a massively depleted team. Good football, great effort just a shame we didn't get what it deserved.
    Rodak. Solid, punched well but what was the handbags about at the end, memories of Price at Wigan, with that ref anything could have happened.
    Jones. What a good player tackles well, covers well and uses the ball intelligently.
    Ajayi. Another brilliant game strong and becoming more confident with the ball. One heart in mouth moment as usual. We'll do well to keep him come January.
    Vaulks. Steady job at the back specially good in first half can get caught out by not having a left peg and had a few of his stray 40 yarders but generally well done.
    Mattock. To me a vastly improved player, attacked well down the left, always works well with Newell. Doesn't make as many silly mistakes.
    Palmer. Not many people like him, put a shift in tonight and didn't waste much possession, brilliant bit of defending in the second half.
    Manning. Did his best to fill in for Towell. Went close with the free kick, but weak shot later when he should have done better.
    Newell. Got more involved than he usually does which is probably why he looked knackered but then he usually does. As usual was a handful when running at the defence.
    Taylor. Actually looked like a winger today. Ran at the defenders and caused problems.
    Williams. My MOM too, apart from his finishing, he took some stick from their players who seemed to target him. Harried, attacked and was everywhere. Pity he tried to go alone late on when he should have put Taylor through, Turbo would have scored.
    Smith. We know now he's only half fit, what would he have done fully fit. Battled well and made their backs look slow but he really needs to find the net, I love him but that header should have been in.
    Nice to see young Wiles have a run again, he doesn't look out of place in this league.
    The officials were appalling. The ref didn't give the foul against Taylor because he would have had to send their man off. Another bottler.
    Overall happy bunny again, we were the better side with a very weakened team.
    Well played lads.

That first half had the feeling of a typical L1 game of last season where we often passed, pressed and dominated from the off. It was a shame we couldn't turn all that possession into a winning goal but the overall performance has to be a confidence booster. Couldn't fault one single player tonight and we made them look very average for most of the game, although we had a few scares after they made the 2 substitutions! If we can maintain that passion and commitment we will be OK.

They hit the bar and the post so I would say they had the better chances, our finishing was poor.

Quote Originally Posted by BramleyMiller58 View Post
    Couple of IF's

IF we'd been at full strength (or even @ 80%) then they were there for the taking

IF we'd not had to put so much into the Stoke game then maybe tiredness wouldn't have come into play
    All "shots" on target were gathered by the keeper we didn't work him

IF Williams had passed it left to Taylor, then who knows ………….

However proud of the boys again
    Can't complain about the effort and hopefully one more point to survival

Worried about January though, Semi + (IMO) Williams will be targets for other clubs
    Could have, should have, etc...
    The Millers were the better team, and should have won. Played quite well, considering all the injuries, but it was not a good Bristol City team. Great game from Williams (sponsors MOM), except for final pass/shot as usual. Hardworking performance, despite the injury, from Smithy but he SHOULD have scored (as usual). We looked dangerous from dead-ball situations, but the bounce of the ball never quite went in our favour. Good performance from the makeshift back four generally. I thought that Palmer was ineffective, and didn't take the chance to re-establish himself in the first team. Wiles was about the same when he came on as sub. Thought that Newell had quite a good game and was a bit surprised when he was subbed as he looked fitter than he has done for weeks.
    Problem with Smithy having to run wide to get the ball, then finding that there was nobody making a Frecks-like run down the middle to cross to. Still no sign where the goals are going to come from - we should have spent money on a goalscorer. If we still had Kieffer Moore we would have probably won the game tonight

Millers stats : 54% possession, 21 shots (that's a LOT!), 6 on target, but I don't recall their keeper having to make a serious save - that's where the problem lies
    Last edited by mikemiller; 03-10-2018 at 10:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post
    But quite depressed as I can't see goals coming from us enough to keep us afloat. Certainly from open play. Smitty is doing amazingly well in nuisance terms and creating space but will struggle to score more than a handful this season, just not an instinctive scorer at this level.
    The goals will come there is no doubt in my mind about that.

Had we had Vassell and/or Proctor to start/bring on, I suspect we would have scored in a game like this. Bristol seemed to give us way more respect than anybody else in the first half and, as Redshank, mentioned we played the way we did last season coming out of the blocks aggressively. Credit to Warney for making the best of a very difficult situation, injury-wise

just need to sort the seat form out

away form out

Really enjoying what I'm watching this season.

Last night was a really strange game. It could have gone any way. I'm now ready to celebrate our first away points this Saturday!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast