+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Away form.

Away form.

Let's face it, we have got away with it at Forest and Blues, weren't that convincing against Preston and Norwich and now tonight against Wednesday. Basically our away form hasn't been good. I suppose you could say that it's a good thing to pick up points when you're not playing well but I think that it's a worry. I'm not convinced regarding a back three and some of BD's selections and substitutions I find somewhat baffling. As I say, we got away with murder tonight but this 'rub of the green' can't continue. At home, I think we're fine but away from home, there are problems.
    Last edited by Leicesterbaggie; 03-10-2018 at 09:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Leicesterbaggie View Post
    Let's face it, we have got away with it at Forest and Blues, weren't that convincing against Preston and Norwich and now tonight against Wednesday. Basically our away form hasn't been good. I suppose you could say that it's a good thing to pick up points when you're not playing well but I think that it's a worry. I'm not convinced regarding a back three and some of BD's selections and substitutions I find somewhat baffling. As I say, we got away with murder tonight but this 'rub of the green' can't continue. At home, I think we're fine but away from home, there are problems.
    The problem Leicester mate is the defence is one of the worst in the championship & probably one of the worst in Albion colours I've ever seen add that to a not very strong midfield , & a very weak bench , & you have big problems, you can't rely on the forwards to do it for you every week , what if we had 2 strikers out we would be in big crap , plus our ball retention is terrible we give the ball away so many times its unbelievable , as Don Goodman said in commentary you ain't going to finish in a top to spot conceding as many goals as we do , & if we don't get up 1st time our few assets we do have will be gone next season . Not a good situation.

I think that you're looking a little on the bleak side Johnny as I honestly think that our squad is one of the best in the division. It's at the back that we have the problems. While I enjoy Moore's attacking approach, for some reason we don't seem able to hack it at the back. Why two of last season's best players, Dawson and Hegazi, have been so poor I don't understand. Perhaps it's the system and we need to give it time, but how long? It doesn't help Bartley being right footed and playing on th left. He has been poor in my opinion. We desperately need a left sided central defender. While Brunt was a steady left back, I'm not sure whether mickd's suggestion of playing him at the back would work. It might do, so perhaps it's worth a try.

I have some sympathy with theses sentiments but the problem I think is that this league is relentless and everyone is going to have ups and downs. Granted we haven’t been great defensively away but the reality is that only Leeds and Sheffield U have been better than us away so far.

Yes we let goals in but we still are 4th in the Away league same points as Boro, and we are also 4th in the Home league. True we have got away with it at times but so do everyone else in this league. To get promoted we need to score enough goals to win games, draws will not get us up.

Quote Originally Posted by Leicesterbaggie View Post
    I think that you're looking a little on the bleak side Johnny as I honestly think that our squad is one of the best in the division. It's at the back that we have the problems. While I enjoy Moore's attacking approach, for some reason we don't seem able to hack it at the back. Why two of last season's best players, Dawson and Hegazi, have been so poor I don't understand. Perhaps it's the system and we need to give it time, but how long? It doesn't help Bartley being right footed and playing on th left. He has been poor in my opinion. We desperately need a left sided central defender. While Brunt was a steady left back, I'm not sure whether mickd's suggestion of playing him at the back would work. It might do, so perhaps it's worth a try.
    Papering over the cracks lads were not at 6s or 7s at the back we're 11s & 12s last season Hegazi had Johnny Evens with him & Dawson playing well , were a disaster waiting to happen , mark my words ,

For me it's not so much that the defenders are playing badly it's more that they simply aren't good enough to play the way they are being asked to play. To compound the problem the two midfielders in front of them can't play it either. For this to work players bringing it out from the back should be finding the central midfielders with almost monotonous regularity.

Does what I have described in anyway what we are witnessing? Will it get better with practice? I have my doubts.

To say it would be like polishing t urd is harsh but I trust you get my drift.

I remember these conversations for years about having a lousy defence. Tony Pulis fixed it but didn't address the forward line. IN typical human knee jerk reaction the result is the total opposite with no balance whatsoever. The pendulum doesnt just swing to where it needs to be it always moves to the total opposite position. There is nothing good about having a bad defence, despite the clamour for more attacking football. Its great to see the forwards doing the business but I always remember the worst thing for me as a forward was not having a solid back line. Takes all the pressure off.

Can anybody pull up the league tables from when we use to win promotion 8 years ago.....
    It would be interesting to see...nearly sure this league promotion stuff is about scoring more then conceding......Defense in this league is different then in Premiership. There one goal can win most games...down here.....not so sure.....Though we were known for our 1-0 scorelines a while back just to contradict myself....

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbag View Post
    Can anybody pull up the league tables from when we use to win promotion 8 years ago.....
    It would be interesting to see...nearly sure this league promotion stuff is about scoring more then conceding......Defense in this league is different then in Premiership. There one goal can win most games...down here.....not so sure.....Though we were known for our 1-0 scorelines a while back just to contradict myself....
    Here you go Dubbs, just follow the links.......

......... after 11 games........

https://www.11v11.com/league-tables/...-october-2009/

.........at the end of the season........

https://www.11v11.com/league-tables/...p/12-may-2010/

......... and as things stand today.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/championship/table

Quote Originally Posted by Albionic68 View Post
    Here you go Dubbs, just follow the links.......

......... after 11 games........

https://www.11v11.com/league-tables/...-october-2009/

.........at the end of the season........

https://www.11v11.com/league-tables/...p/12-may-2010/

......... and as things stand today.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/championship/table
    Thank you sir.......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)