+ Visit Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Scots who Fought Franco

The Scots who Fought Franco

On PBS America

About the Scottish men who joined the International Brigade. Very interesting & we could do with a few folk like them these days. Anyway, the reason I brought it up is because there’s a madskull called John on it from Aberdeen, who has tales of smashing facism in Aberdeen & Glasgow. Also footage of the harbour & Union St in the 30s

Worth a watch Jupiter

Quote Originally Posted by Mason89 View Post
    On PBS America

About the Scottish men who joined the International Brigade. Very interesting & we could do with a few folk like them these days. Anyway, the reason I brought it up is because there’s a madskull called John on it from Aberdeen, who has tales of smashing facism in Aberdeen & Glasgow. Also footage of the harbour & Union St in the 30s

Worth a watch Jupiter
    I had to re-tune our Cooncil+ (Freeview) last night, and when I surfed the channels to see what new ****e had saved, this very two-parter was on Channel 94 (I think). The legendary Aberdeen brigadier John Londragon was being interviewed - he and Bob Cooney were the most famous of those who left from Aberdeen to scrap with El Caudillo. At YCL meetings in the 70s and 80s, Bob could usually be persuaded to recite his 'Hasta la Vista, Madrid', stirringly read by Iain Anderson on the Greentrax compilation of Scottish Civil War Songs from 4 or 5 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WS7osDrIOtk

https://aberdeenvoice.com/2012/12/no...ass-cd-review/

Ony idea which channel it's on to let me see the whole thing? (No Murdoch at 57 Acres).

It's listed as PBS America, as you said, on Freeview 94 too. I'll give it a look.

Yep, that’s the one. I’m on way through the first episode & welling up at the old boy talking about singing The Internationale. I only really recorded it because I knew there were a few men from Renton that went.

It’s great tv. I’ll try and see when part two’s on

Yep, that’s the one. I’m on way through the first episode & welling up at the old boy talking about singing The Internationale. I only really recorded it because I knew there were a few men from Renton that went.

It’s great tv. I’ll try and see when part two’s on
    Good lad, cheers.

I imagine it'll be on repeat.

That Greentrax CD is well worth getting.

Part two is on this eve at 8pm

I’ll need to record it again, as that’s the time she likes to watch shyte tv while pointing out my failings

I've got a Listing Page for it, but Part 1 disna fit with my plans for today, although I'm sure it'll be repeated.

https://www.pbsamerica.co.uk/schedule/?date=04/10/2018

Some very interesting looking programming - my Granda was marched back from Stalag XXA in 1945 after being incarcerated since June 1940, and there's a programme about that (Stalag II), as well as some historical jazz features.

Omnomnomnom.

I've got a soft spot for PBS America.

Yep, me too. Still the finest documentary ever made that one.

It’s worth reading Shelbys 3 volumes on the war of Northern Agression.

Part two is on this eve at 8pm

I’ll need to record it again, as that’s the time she likes to watch shyte tv while pointing out my failings

Due to the Ryder Cup being on all weekend, I had to watch a **** Mom UK marathon last night. I'm not sure it was worth it.

I might try and record this Spanish Civil War thing if it is on again. I forget, whose side am I meant to be rooting for?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast