+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smiffy...

Smiffy...

...love this lad to bits. Brissle found him a real handful yesterday as have a lot of championship teams this season. Deceptively quick, strong, wins a lot of balls in the air, good on the floor for a big fella, works his socks off. His only problem is his lack of goals. He's a Ronnie Moore minus the goals which is a decent enough accolade I think. If he scored goals regularly he wouldn't be with us but he is still such an asset for the style we play.

How do we get the best out of him? I reckon a 4 4 2 with a poacher at the side of him but I recognise that system does not work very well in this league certainly not for us anyway. Next best is getting some goal scoring midfielders who can get up and feed off him.

If we didn't have him, for whatever reason, we would be a lot worse off!

Keep it up Smiffy lad; a great team player and embodies the Millers spirit we need if we are to keep up this year
    Last edited by rolymiller; 04-10-2018 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rolymiller View Post
    ...love this lad to bits. Brissle found him a real handful yesterday as have a lot of championship teams this season. Deceptively quick, strong, wins a lot of balls in the air, good on the floor for a big fella, works his socks off. His only problem is his lack of goals. He's a Ronnie Moore minus the goals which is a decent enough accolade I think. If he scored goals regularly he wouldn't be with us but he is still such an asset for the style we play.

How do we get the best out of him? I reckon a 4 4 2 with a poacher at the side of him but I recognise that system does not work very well in this league certainly not for us anyway. Next best is getting some goal scoring midfielders who can get up and feed off him.

If we didn't have him, for whatever reason, we would be a lot worse off!

Keep it up Smiffy lad; a great team player and embodies the Millers spirit we need if we are to keep up this year
    i couldn't agree more Roly. A terrific grafter. People were moaning about the header he missed last night. Believe me it wasn't as easy as it looked. The ball was swerving back on him and he had to pull his neck back to to adjust so it didn't hit him on the side of the face.

Bradshaw
    Kieffer

Neither are pulling up trees at this level, and they cost plenty.

Give me Smudger any day.

Agree Roly. Has the work rate of Danny ward, has similar attributes to Kieffer Moore or Alan Lee minus the goals. As already stated, if he scored goals at this level, he'd be worth £millions.

To be fair to Smudge goalscoring chances are a bit of a luxury,last night was different and he didnt take any of them,but he will score them given enough and at full fitness which he isnt

Quality player who is not firing on all cylinders at the mo.

Smith needs someone at his side, did the club do the right thing letting Ball go on loan to Bradford City.

Surely the most important question is should it be Smiffy, Smudge, Smudger or boring old (yet correct) Smith?

Don't think he's match fit though.
    Pumped up on paracetamol and playing through the pain barrier because PW asked him to.
    Top man

Quote Originally Posted by Ericsladkilnhurst View Post
    Smith needs someone at his side, did the club do the right thing letting Ball go on loan to Bradford City.
    I liked Ball but not the ideal partner for Smith - both Smith and Ball ideally need more of a pacey poacher to feed to score. We don't really have one, because they cost a lot of money. But hopefully Vassell and Proctor can stay fit, play more regularly with Smith and chip in more goals while also adding the workrate and physicality they both have.

If we have a fit squad, we've got some good options considering our restricted budget.

Keep it up lads and fans

The players are out there, the Stoke captain for our game, Woods, was at Shrewsbury then Brentford bought him, why couldn't we have bought him from Shrewsbury?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast