+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Neilson + Ellis = ?

Neilson + Ellis = ?

It seems to me the most preferred and realistic options are Neilson and Ellis. If that is the case, we might as well bring in Neilson as manager, but make the offer conditionally on the basis that Ellis would be staying as his assistant.

I don't think Ellis would have any problems staying on as no. 2. Neilson might see not being able to choose his own staff as a deal breaker, but then again, he might be happy to inherit Ellis' understanding of the current squad/league.

Could be quite a good partnership on paper?

I want Neilson with his own assistant that he wants to bring

Sorry but Ellis for me should not be considered here outwith taking the reigns until we make the appointment (which will hopefully not drag on too long), I'm sure Neilson will have a decent knowledge of our team being at some recent games

I wonder if we'll ever get to know how successful Laurie Ellis will be/would have been.
    He's bound to have picked up a lot at Tannadice, especially if he's a quick learner.
    Gordon Young too, I had an awful good feeling about him & I think the players did too.
    And did Jack Ross ever imagine he'd manage an English giant just 5 years after being assistant at Dumbarton?
    It's a fickle business.

Anyway where I stand....Robbie Neilson gives me a respectable semi but if not to be then I'll be fascinated to find out if our Laurie can cut it. If RN comes will he bring Stevie Crawford, I imagine that might be a stipulation & if it is then it's maybe goodbye LE which is sad. RN with SC & LE?? Where are these investors or when's our next sell-on due?

Neilson’s assistant of choice would be Stevie Crawford. He recently took up reserve team manager/1st team coach role at Dunfermline so we’d need to pay compensation. On that basis, Neilson might be happy to work with Ellis to land the job.

Quote Originally Posted by shedka View Post
    I want Neilson with his own assistant that he wants to bring

Sorry but Ellis for me should not be considered here outwith taking the reigns until we make the appointment (which will hopefully not drag on too long), I'm sure Neilson will have a decent knowledge of our team being at some recent games
    Totally agree with this. Ellis seems to be being considered 'to save a wage'.

Any manager should be able to bring in his own man ....if Martin cant suck up the payoff, he should sell up NOW!

Otherwise Neilson would be undermined from day 1.

I actually think Neilson would work well with Ellis. But he will bring Crawford in with him anyway I reckon.

Laszlo was allowed to bring in Burger so a new manager coming in should expect at least one coach in.

If they don't then how can we expect them to prove themselves?

Laszlo should've been allowed to bring in a coach when he was appointed IMO. I think the delay done him.

In hindsight how could he succeed?

Sorry but Ellis has to go!!!!!

At what point do we start thinking Ellis is a (small) part of the problem?

Suppose we will get in an indication of that on Saturday.

You’d have to believe that with Laszlo away, every player will get a lift. In mood & attitude at least.

Read into that what you will, re players professionalism etc

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)