+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on season so far

Quote Originally Posted by cherrypie7 View Post
    First up, thank you all for posting on the thread. Good to hear all your thoughts.
    I was merely pointing out what I believe to be true. BPF did make an error against Derby and again against Birmingham. Both long-range shots. I am still not quite sure what happened against Wednesday. That was an audacious shot and I don't think Reach could make that shot again if he has another 100 tries. So, I don't count that one.
    I agree completely that BPF has every chance to develop into an excellent keeper. But.... right now, I think he has to work on seeing the ball a little earlier. The great Dino Zoff had a problem with long range shots in the 1978 World Cup. In 1982, Italy won the World Cup.
    I'll agree that the general consensus is BPF will have to work on all aspects of his game ........... as all players should.
    Presently with Bielsa at the helm he'll have no choice not to and interestingly boxer Henry Wharton (Leeds fan) recently made a comment that regardless of ability,skill,etc that positioning was a key attribute and can often be overlooked in early coaching core foundation work which I took onboard in relation to my own younger sons aspirations to excel between the sticks.Certainly in Whartons York gym that philosophy is evidently drummed into his young pupils training wise and maybe the Great Zoff in his latter years used significant positioning placement to compensate his slower reactions due to age.

All 'Food for thought'

Interesting observation tho' Cherrypie - keep 'em coming.

MOT

Quote Originally Posted by MrsORichSenior View Post
    I'll agree that the general consensus is BPF will have to work on all aspects of his game ........... as all players should.
    Presently with Bielsa at the helm he'll have no choice not to and interestingly boxer Henry Wharton (Leeds fan) recently made a comment that regardless of ability,skill,etc that positioning was a key attribute and can often be overlooked in early coaching core foundation work which I took onboard in relation to my own younger sons aspirations to excel between the sticks.Certainly in Whartons York gym that philosophy is evidently drummed into his young pupils training wise and maybe the Great Zoff in his latter
    years used significant positioning placement to compensate his slower reactions due to age.

All 'Food for thought'

Interesting observation tho' Cherrypie - keep 'em coming.

MOT
    Agree with all points above MrsORich Senior. Positioning is definitely key in all aspects of goalkeeping. Since we are talking about goalkeepers, I cannot pass up the chance to comment on the greatest goalkeeper ever to play football (in my opinion). That would be Gordon Banks OBE. Football being a team sport, it is difficult to say who is the "greatest" of all time. But for goalkeeping, the position is peculiar and exclusive enough to be able to make valid comparisons. Gordon Banks is simply the best that's ever been.

Quote Originally Posted by cherrypie7 View Post
    Agree with all points above MrsORich Senior. Positioning is definitely key in all aspects of goalkeeping. Since we are talking about goalkeepers, I cannot pass up the chance to comment on the greatest goalkeeper ever to play football (in my opinion). That would be Gordon Banks OBE. Football being a team sport, it is difficult to say who is the "greatest" of all time. But for goalkeeping, the position is peculiar and exclusive enough to be able to make valid comparisons. Gordon Banks is simply the best that's ever been.
    Yep Banksey was top notch - great era late 60/70s for keepers Tommy Lawrence,Ray Clemence Liverpool,Jennings Spurs,Bob Wilson Arsenal,Gordon West Everton,Bonetti Chelsea etc,etc but today's ball makes it difficult for sure.
    Sprakey,like others never hardly used gloves unlike today,most caught or gathered the ball unlike today,pitches were atrocious too but hey ho its 2018 and we've got what we've got .....................
    But I will state that seeing BPF during a game and how he positions himself in conjunction to our defensive set up's makes one realise the changing role of a keeper today which sadly TV cameras don't pick up on as they only follow the ball.
    I noted for N.Ireland he acted instinctively the other week and came charging out like he does for the Leeds set up which N.Ireland don't play and he cost 'em a goal sadly - sure not easy being a keeper today.
    MOT

Absolutely delighted with our season so far, fully expected us to be bottom 6 from the off, can't believe we're top, loving it, happy with our keeper, especially after Felix last season. Still find it hard to believe they're the same players, considering we have Pablo, roofe, beradi and bamford to come back in and we're still top is remarkable.

Quote Originally Posted by spaldy View Post
    I remember Young Kasper and the threads about him. Very similar in some ways. Think BPF will be as good as KS when he develops. I also think he's part of the fabric of this team. Sometimes chemistry is more important than having the best technical player in the league at that position.

When our team is clicking we are as good as many of the bottom 10 prem teams and we are developing. If we don't wear out or break down we'll be going up this year. we've done OK for missing some of the key players we have had out this season.

Good point about being on par with the lower teams in the prem, the gulf between the two division is great as we all know, the game is played faster and time on the ball, fitness overall is higher. Sound familiar on what's getting drummed into our lads this season under our new gov'ner. Thoughts on the season so far, carry on because this is what you will be getting and doing week in week out. Work ethics, attitude and experience followed by success. Great to have the buzz about the place again.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsORichSenior View Post
    Yep Banksey was top notch - great era late 60/70s for keepers Tommy Lawrence,Ray Clemence Liverpool,Jennings Spurs,Bob Wilson Arsenal,Gordon West Everton,Bonetti Chelsea etc,etc but today's ball makes it difficult for sure.
    Sprakey,like others never hardly used gloves unlike today,most caught or gathered the ball unlike today,pitches were atrocious too but hey ho its 2018 and we've got what we've got .....................
    But I will state that seeing BPF during a game and how he positions himself in conjunction to our defensive set up's makes one realise the changing role of a keeper today which sadly TV cameras don't pick up on as they only follow the ball.
    I noted for N.Ireland he acted instinctively the other week and came charging out like he does for the Leeds set up which N.Ireland don't play and he cost 'em a goal sadly - sure not easy being a keeper today.
    MOT
    Spot on regarding the type of ball used and the challenges now for keepers. Once apon a time, the keeper would line up the wall for free kicks and then cover the other half of the goals. Now with the ability to swerve and dip the current type around and over walls, they generally still have to position mid goal to give themselves a chance dive either way! My old man played in goals for Australia back in the 50s, and even he shakes his head in amazement at the movement.

You're cherry picking problems.
    Young keeper, has 15 good years in front of him, best since Rudolphs son, top of the league.
    Not &hitting myself every time there comes a cross into the box.
    Plucked one out of the air vs Hull in the last minute when we usually would have conceded.
    100% improvement over last years excuse for a keeper.
    Bielsa picks him.
    Northernirish, always a plus

The season has been great so far and as good as I hoped it might be.

we average 2 points a game - if we keep it up we should be there or thereabouts.

We play really attractive attacking football which is great to watch.

We defend properly and press in packs to get the ball back.

our coach/manager is experienced, knows what he wants and does not simply spend money as the answer. he does not publicly blame players and is not given to hyperbole. He actively seeks to improve players, does so and promotes young players. I love he statement earlier - if plan A is not working - work harder at Plan A.

most enjoyable season for a long time with the promise of it getting better.

im really enjoying this season

for me, just about every player for leeds has impressed so far, i felt cooper was our weak link vs brentford however the stats prove even cooper has done well too so far, so fair play!

we have 18, or 19 now brown has joined, senior players, and 7 youth backups, thats more than enough for me, why we have had such huge squads before is anyones guess!

the marcelo effect has captured us all, the players enjoy it, the fans love watching it, and our goal yesterday was the first time marcelo has shown his delight, it was excellent to see

once we get our players all back fit, we will stay up there, teams wont handle us, and to say we are still there or thereabouts despite all our injuries for half of the first quarter, its a remarkable effort, lets keep the same going forward, the future is bright, the future my friends is most definitely WHITE! MOT!!!

Love the season so far. It's a joy to watch them from afar. Every game looks like ER is full and you can hear the crowd noise and feel the intensity.

think we are the team to beat this year if we can get back some of the injured players and stick the course.

I do wish Saiz could put the ball in the net. He does everything else so well. He has the ability.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)