+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: O/T Best of British Northern Soul

BigLadonOS...I've read through this topic with interest and the chat with CT Miller. Both of you can recall some great things from way back when which is great to read.

Personally, I missed out on NS as going through the early 70's as there was a slight mention of it at my school and a few of the lads went to Wigan in 75. Being 15 at the time I looked 12 so would never have got in.

I have a very good friend, Bill (SNOWY) Snow, who is a massive NS freak, I say that in the kindest of ways but his knowledge and addiction to NS is phenomenal. Do you by chance know him?

He runs a NS night every 3rd Saturday at the Catholic club in Doncaster town centre. Went across last year with friends and hearing the tunes belt out was great to hear. Strange really as getting older I've become more accustomed to NS and listen to John Kay on radio Sheffield on Saturdays nights after the football phone in. Thing is that doesn't start while 7pm when it's already been on since 6pm on radio Leeds/York.

You show a great knowledge of NS and credit to you. There's aways the classics that John Kay plays and I can easily relate to, whereas you seem to add a lot of obscure ones on this thread, which goes to show just what I've missed over the years. Been great listening to some of them, and yes it's an acquired taste as people's music tastes differ considerably but well done for finally running a comprehensive NS topic. BobH56 and myself have touched on this previously but only scratched the tip of the iceberg.

Hi Brin.

First let me say that I have never heard of that little Leeds loving scum bag Bill (SNOWY) Snow lol. Honestly I've known Snowy for more years than I like to mention and have bought some great records from him. His knowledge of Northern Soul is very much larger than my own and was always my first port of call when I was looking for info on records (the man is like an encyclopedia of Northern Soul). Since he closed Backtrack Records in Rotherham and he moved back to Donny our paths have crossed less and less over the years but I have managed to bump in to him now and again at different venues. Hopfully I will catch him to have a chat with at Whitby next year if he is still DJ,ing there?

Over the years I heard many many records that have stuck in my head and a lot more that I had forgotten about but we have this great thing called the internet and a fantastic website called youtube. Youtube is a godsend as there are literally thousands of records out there and you can't remember all the names of the tunes you have heard over the years but with youtube you have a great place to go crate digging from the comfort of your armchair.

I have met BobH and wouldn't like to piss him off lol he's a good bloke for a dee dar tho haha.

Over the years I have bought, sold and lost many records and right now I have about 400 or so in my collection and intend to keep adding to the collection for a few more years yet. I am mainly an oldies fan and prefer the 60's and early 70's stuff of which John Kay plays quite a lot of but I also love Motown, Mod and 60's pop Northern Soul tunes.

The next time you see Snowy ask him to tell you the story about this record.

Tell him I still have my copy.
    Last edited by BigLadonOS; 19-10-2018 at 11:54 PM.

Another Brit Northern Soul 60's pop song that I <3<3<3

Who would have thought it!

Another banging Brit Northern track.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLadonOS View Post
    Another banging Brit Northern track.

Beautiful E-type.....

Big Lad....Sat here bored to tears so I thought I'd have a delve in and pulled out this beauty.....

https://youtu.be/s30Q-UtWdp4

Happy listening ....

Quote Originally Posted by BigLadonOS View Post
    Hi Brin.

First let me say that I have never heard of that little Leeds loving scum bag Bill (SNOWY) Snow lol. Honestly I've known Snowy for more years than I like to mention and have bought some great records from him. His knowledge of Northern Soul is very much larger than my own and was always my first port of call when I was looking for info on records (the man is like an encyclopedia of Northern Soul). Since he closed Backtrack Records in Rotherham and he moved back to Donny our paths have crossed less and less over the years but I have managed to bump in to him now and again at different venues. Hopfully I will catch him to have a chat with at Whitby next year if he is still DJ,ing there?

Over the years I heard many many records that have stuck in my head and a lot more that I had forgotten about but we have this great thing called the internet and a fantastic website called youtube. Youtube is a godsend as there are literally thousands of records out there and you can't remember all the names of the tunes you have heard over the years but with youtube you have a great place to go crate digging from the comfort of your armchair.

I have met BobH and wouldn't like to piss him off lol he's a good bloke for a dee dar tho haha.

Over the years I have bought, sold and lost many records and right now I have about 400 or so in my collection and intend to keep adding to the collection for a few more years yet. I am mainly an oldies fan and prefer the 60's and early 70's stuff of which John Kay plays quite a lot of but I also love Motown, Mod and 60's pop Northern Soul tunes.

The next time you see Snowy ask him to tell you the story about this record.

Tell him I still have my copy.
    Na then lad. I've just been on phone to Snowy. He confirmed that he does Whitby twice a year.

He asked me to ask you to contact him via Facebook @ Bill Snow at Donny/Doncaster, he's looking forward to catching up with you pal.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Big Lad....Sat here bored to tears so I thought I'd have a delve in and pulled out this beauty.....

https://youtu.be/s30Q-UtWdp4

Happy listening ....
    What a fantastic Choooooooooooon <3<3<3 MASSIVE track back in the day but hardly gets played out now :-( shame really.

Most local gigs now play more youth club music than owt else :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Na then lad. I've just been on phone to Snowy. He confirmed that he does Whitby twice a year.

He asked me to ask you to contact him via Facebook @ Bill Snow at Donny/Doncaster, he's looking forward to catching up with you pal.
    Cheers Brin Ill get in touch with him mate. Thanks :-)

Ill leave you with this classic SUPER MASSIVE track from back in the day.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast