+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Best of British Northern Soul

Quote Originally Posted by monty_rhodes View Post
    HS, talented, versatile and a great voice. Like her version of I Wish I'd Never Loved You.
    Ah! I'm glad to hear you say that. I've always liked her. Didn't she also front a youth club band with Marc Bolan in the East End way back? Always struck me as the oddest of combinations (but then Jimmy Page was a session guitarist on one of her hits I seem to recall so nothing is impossible.)

Right it's 1.00am here on the West Coast and I need a few hours sleep before tuning into the Millers game at 7.00am. It's good to talk, Monty!

Quote Originally Posted by BigLadonOS View Post
    Thats hardly fair cayton. Thats like saying because my mate died in a car crash I hate the word cars.
    Not really as I've prob heard the words together about a dozen times in my lifetime. Car is a word I've hear/use regular if not daily.. to me it's more like word association to Brady, Shipman, hindley ect. So yeah fair

I know a Northern Soul fan who's a right dick as well but I'm sure there are some decent ones as well.

Quote Originally Posted by CTMilller View Post
    I've just checked to make sure my memory wasn't letting me down. The episode was called " Gently Northern Soul". It was Episode1 of Series 5 and first aired in the UK in 2012. It also covered issues related to race. Let me know what you think if you get to watch it. I'd be interested.
    I have just watched it on Youtube and have to say I enjoyed it. The music is great and most of the content about the scene is fairly accurate with the swimming after an allnighter and the part about no trouble with people whatever their colour race or creed, however, I can say that the dance scenes do not represent any Northern Soul dance floor I have ever been on. Also the part where the copper is being laughed at while practicing dance moves has a very slowed down version of "The Olympics - I'll Do A Little Bit More"

I found the whole racist thing very disturbing especially as there are still bigots and racist out there. Shame.

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    I know a Northern Soul fan who's a right dick as well but I'm sure there are some decent ones as well.
    Thanks gf :-)

Another fantastic piece of Brit Northern Soul.

Cayton's normally sound - despite his hurtful "Good riddance" when he thought I'd left MM - but his statement about Northern Soul is bonkers. I know of frigging serial killers who were opera fans. I don't know why he felt the need to say such a thing on a music thread as he must have realised BigLad would take it personally. If you made such sweeping generalisations about people based on other criteria there would be an outcry on here. As I said, I just don't get why he did it or why he came back on and repeated it. Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by monty_rhodes View Post
    Cayton's normally sound - despite his hurtful "Good riddance" when he thought I'd left MM - but his statement about Northern Soul is bonkers. I know of frigging serial killers who were opera fans. I don't know why he felt the need to say such a thing on a music thread as he must have realised BigLad would take it personally. If you made such sweeping generalisations about people based on other criteria there would be an outcry on here. As I said, I just don't get why he did it or why he came back on and repeated it. Sad.
    Didn't take it personally monty although I don't understand the logic behind the post I didn't feel it was an attack on me.

Another nice piece of Northern Soul from the Brits

As soon as the intro to this record blasted out of the speakers at Wigan you headed for the dance floor that was very quickly filling up with like minded people all wanting to shake their thing like a ****ing nutter.

TOP CLASS BRIT NORTHERN SOUL.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast