+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Best of British Northern Soul

Quote Originally Posted by CTMilller View Post
    Zoot Money like Alexis Korner was one of those seminal names from the early sixties. Andy Summers, of The Police, got his start with The Big Roll Band. They evolved into a psychadelic outfit as Dantalion's Chariot and had a hit with 'Madman Running Through The Field' in 1967, a record I really liked and a favourite of the pirate radio stations.
    Alexis Korner, now there's a name from the past. In my first job in the early 80s I used to work nights (the only one in the factory apart from the security guard) and Radio 2 through the night with him was the only entertainment in those days to keep me company.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    Alexis Korner, now there's a name from the past. In my first job in the early 80s I used to work nights (the only one in the factory apart from the security guard) and Radio 2 through the night with him was the only entertainment in those days to keep me company.
    I met him briefly in about 1971 when he came to give a talk at my university. (There were only about a half dozen of us who turned up so it was a friendly chat round the table.) Just look at the list of people who played in his band, Blues Incorporated. Reads like a who's who of sixties music. That gravelly voice was very recognizable, CAM, on radio. I remember he smoked incessantly through the university session - those 'licorice stick' roll-ups, I recall. Did him in in his mid-fifties, sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by CTMilller View Post
    I met him briefly in about 1971 when he came to give a talk at my university. (There were only about a half dozen of us who turned up so it was a friendly chat round the table.) Just look at the list of people who played in his band, Blues Incorporated. Reads like a who's who of sixties music. That gravelly voice was very recognizable, CAM, on radio. I remember he smoked incessantly through the university session - those 'licorice stick' roll-ups, I recall. Did him in in his mid-fifties, sadly.
    Thinking back it might have been Radio 1 as I seem to remember John Peel handing over to him around midnight. At the time I never knew his background/fame/importance - no Wikipedia in those days to use as a quick reference. Sadly look like his 3 children have also died fairly young.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    Thinking back it might have been Radio 1 as I seem to remember John Peel handing over to him around midnight. At the time I never knew his background/fame/importance - no Wikipedia in those days to use as a quick reference. Sadly look like his 3 children have also died fairly young.
    Alexis Korner was also in the studio band of the 60's BBC children's tv programme "Five O'Clock Club", alongside Ollie Beak and Fred Barker...Name:  fbarker.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  72.1 KB

I wonder if Ollie and Fred ever had a Northern Soul hit!
    Last edited by mikemiller; 11-10-2018 at 05:45 PM.

Big Lad, if you've been dancing for so many years then you must've pulled a helluva lot of girls and women. Now that my Butlin's shame has been finally revealed I can say that if an attractive girl came up to me on the dancefloor (a place I should never ever have been) I would simply stand there (even when well lubricated ) utterly motionless until the female gave me a look of withering contempt before walking away.

Not being able to dance has cost me lots of dalliances and I bitterly resent any guy who can strut his stuff and then make off with the main prize of the evening. You remain the exception to my long-held belief and you also took away with you the musical memory. I have none, none at all.

The only ones I can bear to listen to are the ones I consider to be non soul. I'm a fan of American soul and what many call soul but are a category in their own right i.e. Motown but aren't Spencer Davis hard driving R and B and isn't Kenny Lynch cabaret?

Dana Gillespie first appeared with an acoustic guitar and was branded a folkie. She too is strictly blues and the girl is still going with over 70 albums to her name. Bowie snapped her up on her first visit to the Marquee Club to see The Yardbirds. Her father an Austrian count

...let this pass and whilst still about 15 or so, Dylan stepped in for musical and ***ual reasons of his own. As late as 1997 Dylan asked her to be his support at the sell out mega gig in London's largest venue.

So, she began as a folkie cos she couldn't afford to put a band together and with Bowie's help she finally put together a blues band which tours to this day. The London Blues Band which she still fronts to this day as does Steve Winwood in Steely Dan, alongside Fagan and as replacement for the sadly deceased Walter Becker.

Oh and for the prurient minded , yes she did frequent Bowie's old white ambulance which he regularly parked in Central London and elsewhere for groupies in urgent need.

Zil, you are truly a haunter of the dark hours mon ami. I never associated what passed for dancing in the 60s and 70s with success at pulling but then I was probably too zonked to notice.

From what has been listed on this thread, just about any musical style, apart from possibly heavy metal and reggae, qualified as "Northern Soul"... probably why I never really got into it at the time

Monty, wit, charm and your obvious savoir faire clearly saw you through the 1980s and 1990s before Mrs Monty came along.

I actually agree with virtually all of your musical disclosures and your summation of TS as the dumb waiter at the football prize winning ceremony. He was actually invited as the guest speaker until someone overheard him rehearsing his speech and wisely locked and bolted his door.

My one attempt at bodily movement whilst music played was after a Geno Washington gig and during a rendition of This Old Heart Of Mine. I was out long before the song had finished, caught behind.
    Last edited by Zilzal; 14-10-2018 at 10:05 PM.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast