+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: O/T Best of British Northern Soul

Quote Originally Posted by Zilzal View Post
    Big Lad, if you've been dancing for so many years then you must've pulled a helluva lot of girls and women. Now that my Butlin's shame has been finally revealed I can say that if an attractive girl came up to me on the dancefloor (a place I should never ever have been) I would simply stand there (even when well lubricated ) utterly motionless until the female gave me a look of withering contempt before walking away.

Not being able to dance has cost me lots of dalliances and I bitterly resent any guy who can strut his stuff and then make off with the main prize of the evening. You remain the exception to my long-held belief and you also took away with you the musical memory. I have none, none at all.
    As the saying goes Zil, "If I never pull again I have had my share" but strangely enough not from my Northern Soul dancing! The closest I got to pulling from Northern dancing was in Wolfies Bar in Skevagas a few years ago where I was told by a very attractive young lady that I couldn't half move for a fat lad! Unfortunately she had her boyfriend with her, she was about 21 or so and would no doubt have been the death of me if I had indeed managed to pull her.

All the women I ever pulled with my dancing were in night clubs where Disco music was all the rage back in the 80's, and yes at that time I really could have had my pick. The night I met my now wife I was accosted on the dance floor by no less than 7 women all wanting me to dance with them. It is still used as a joke between me and my wife that I picked the wrong one of the 8 I had a chance with that night lol.
    Last edited by BigLadonOS; 14-10-2018 at 10:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikemiller View Post
    From what has been listed on this thread, just about any musical style, apart from possibly heavy metal and reggae, qualified as "Northern Soul"... probably why I never really got into it at the time
    That is how it ended mike. With the old records of the 60's getting ever harder to find, other music took a bigger part on the scene and if it had that old Soul beat and you were able to do the Northern style of dancing to it then it was added to a DJ's play list and more and more musicale genres were to become the norm, including some Reggae music.

But as I stated in an earlier post. It does not have to be Soul to be a Northern Soul record.

The only ones I can bear to listen to are the ones I consider to be non soul. I'm a fan of American soul and what many call soul but are a category in their own right i.e. Motown but aren't Spencer Davis hard driving R and B and isn't Kenny Lynch cabaret?

Dana Gillespie first appeared with an acoustic guitar and was branded a folkie. She too is strictly blues and the girl is still going with over 70 albums to her name. Bowie snapped her up on her first visit to the Marquee Club to see The Yardbirds. Her father an Austrian count
    Dana Gillespie was first signed to her very good friend Donovan's record label "Pye Records" who gave her her first record deal. Donovan also played on her first recording for Pye.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av-lPIvbVQI

Monty, wit, charm and your obvious savoir faire clearly saw you through the 1980s and 1990s before Mrs Monty came along.

I actually agree with virtually all of your musical disclosures and your summation of TS as the dumb waiter at the football prize winning ceremony. He was actually invited as the guest speaker until someone overheard him rehearsing his speech and wisely locked and bolted his door.

My one attempt at bodily movement whilst music played was after a Geno Washington gig and during a rendition of This Old Heart Of Mine. I was out long before the song had finished, caught behind.
    My dear Zil, This Old Heart of Mine is a personal favourite. Alas, most of your other observations are wide of the mark. Far from having savoir faire I am hopeless at most human interactions and have made an art form of putting my foot in it (so to speak). Mrs Monty came along in 1973 and after a few years of on-off-on we got married in 1978. As for my musical disclosures I only dare put on here those I deem reasonably acceptable to my audience. Nuff said. I don't recollect likening TS to a dumb waiter so you may be confusing me with some other reprobate such as Cam?

Nice bit of 60's pop Northern Soul

Last edited by BigLadonOS; 17-10-2018 at 08:18 AM.

Another 60's pop Northern Soul sound.

Classic 60's Brit Mod Northern Soul

One of the finest Brit Northern Soul sounds. I love this track. <3<3<3

Another nice slab of Brit Northern Soul.

Perfect piece of Brit Northern Soul, just <3<3<3 this track.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast