+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: No deal offered to Davies yet

No deal offered to Davies yet

Captain Adam Davies is not one of the Barnsley players who have been offered a new contract but would be open to extending a spell which has seen him pass 150 league starts this week.

The 26-year-old goalkeeper’s deal is due to run out at the end of the current season but – while Alex Mowatt, George Moncur and others are understood to have been offered extensions – Davies confirmed this week that there had been no new contract offered to him.

He added: “I would love to keep playing more and more games. I’ve only got a year left so we will have to talk at some point and see what happens but, for this season, my aim is just to get the club back into the Championship. I am happy, I’ve been playing well and long may that continue.”

Davies made his 150th league start for the club on Tuesday against Plymouth Argyle and has played 171 games in total since signing in 2014.

“It’s nice to keep racking the appearances up. When I came here I didn’t have one league game or any first team experience at all so to have 150 league starts is nice. But you always want more.”
    Barnsley’s current side reminds Davies of the team which was promoted from League One in 2016. He said: “There are definitely similarities, but every team is different. There is a good team spirit and quality players and the performances we have put in have shown we can be successful.

“But we’re just going to look at it game by game then see where we are at the end of the season. It’s been an easy transition (after relegation), we look good and the changing room is buzzing at the minute.”

Davies yesterday received his second international call-up of the season although he admits he does not like missing Barnsley games while away with Wales. He said: “Last time I really wasn’t expecting it because there are a couple of ‘keepers playing at a higher level. One of the press officers told me as I came off the training pitch and it was a nice surprise. I want to stay involved with that set-up because it’s fantastic.

“It’s an absolute honour to be called up and the end game is to get a cap, which will hopefully happen in the near future. I didn’t really want to miss the last game with Barnsley but the manager was great with me about it and it’s a great experience to go away with top international players and play in big games.”

Would you offer him a new deal ?

Quote Originally Posted by EastStandRed View Post
    Would you offer him a new deal ?
    If he learnt how to catch a ball and command his area then maybe

Always stood by Davies , always thort we were lucky to have him here , but it's a no from me , he's stagnated and being Captain doesn' thelp him either , Some good keepers around just now , Eastwood at Oxford , the lad on loan to Plymouth too, difficult area a goalkeeper , hero to Zero within a week , prefer Walton right now personally ,

I've always said he doesn't command his area and has he ever punched a ball I prefer a Muller type big and strong and takes no prisoners and I don't mean yogurt

Quote Originally Posted by Romared View Post
    Always stood by Davies , always thort we were lucky to have him here , but it's a no from me , he's stagnated and being Captain doesn' thelp him either , Some good keepers around just now , Eastwood at Oxford , the lad on loan to Plymouth too, difficult area a goalkeeper , hero to Zero within a week , prefer Walton right now personally ,
    I can’t be doing with Goalkeepers as captains, it’s a difficult one but I think I’d offer him a 2yr deal

dont hear of any club wanting to take him.

let him go

I think we can do better personally , he's not a poor keeper but he's nowt fantastic either .

Seen one or two this season at Oakwell who I've thought were above Davies , the Walsall and Plymouth lads were in that bracket , admittedly I've only seen them the once .

I wouldn't be breaking the bank to keep him .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post

I wouldn't be breaking the bank to keep him .
    No danger of that Animal wi enny ovvem.