+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Uh ho - AH in a hurry again :(

Quote Originally Posted by nay123 View Post
    Don't forget them reduced speeds are because people are working on the roads. but that doesn't matter if they lose there life does it Hardy you have taken a advanced driving test.
    Not always, the section of the A52 after Bardills roundabout towards Pride Park is down to 40 because there are incomplete barriers in the central reservation every couple of miles, not a worker to be seen anywhere and long stretches of the road where absolutely nothing is different. Hence my earlier post about feeling like an idiot doing 45ish along there with everyone flying past me still going 70.

Quote Originally Posted by DelroyFacey22 View Post
    I'm really not sure what people are finding difficult to understand. I'll make one last attempt to make my point clear -

THE ROAD IS A DUAL CARRIAGEWAY BUILT TO HANDLE TRAFFIC GOING 70MPH

Therefore - Doing the roads NORMAL speed limit when there was a temporary restriction in place IS NOT AS BAD as doing that kind of speed on a road that has a maximum speed limit of 40mph ALL THE TIME. Yes, it's still speeding as there was a temporary limit at the time and it's still illegal and it's still very naughty, Mr Hardy deserves his seat on the naughty step. However, if he had done it on a road that is always 40mph it would be MUCH worse.
    I 100% agree with the point you’re making. It’s the moaning about it on Twitter that I think most people are objecting to. Particularly as he appears to have quite a bit of previous form in this area. Where there weren’t roadworks.

Quote Originally Posted by DelroyFacey22 View Post
    I'm really not sure what people are finding difficult to understand. I'll make one last attempt to make my point clear -

THE ROAD IS A DUAL CARRIAGEWAY BUILT TO HANDLE TRAFFIC GOING 70MPH

Therefore - Doing the roads NORMAL speed limit when there was a temporary restriction in place IS NOT AS BAD as doing that kind of speed on a road that has a maximum speed limit of 40mph ALL THE TIME. Yes, it's still speeding as there was a temporary limit at the time and it's still illegal and it's still very naughty, Mr Hardy deserves his seat on the naughty step. However, if he had done it on a road that is always 40mph it would be MUCH worse.
    We will have to agree to differ then.

Speeding at 77mph on a 40 road, and speeding at 77 on a restricted road - there's no difference imo.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    We will have to agree to differ then.

Speeding at 77mph on a 40 road, and speeding at 77 on a restricted road - there's no difference imo.
    Of course there is. A 40mph road will generally have houses near it and possibly tight turn offs. A 70mph road is less likely to have nearby houses and will utilise slip roads and traffic lights for turn offs.

Quote Originally Posted by garibaldi View Post
    Of course there is. A 40mph road will generally have houses near it and possibly tight turn offs. A 70mph road is less likely to have nearby houses and will utilise slip roads and traffic lights for turn offs.
    Conveniently ignoring that a road with restrictions will have obstructions etc that an unrestricted won't, including people working. Whether there was or not at the time, the restriction was there for a purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    Conveniently ignoring that a road with restrictions will have obstructions etc that an unrestricted won't, including people working. Whether there was or not at the time, the restriction was there for a purpose.
    Your banging your head against a brick wall m_m.Wouldn't want these representing you in Court.They would be digging you a deeper hole.AH must know he is going to get a ban with the points.The only 2 reasons he is fighting it,has money & disqualification.

Quote Originally Posted by nay123 View Post
    Don't forget them reduced speeds are because people are working on the roads. but that doesn't matter if they lose there life does it Hardy you have taken a advanced driving test.
    A non secuitur, nay123. Your conclusion doesn't follow your first statement. Don't let that stop you having a bash at him while you can though.
    Last edited by LaxtonLad; 13-10-2018 at 08:40 AM.

Let's face it, doing 77mph in a 40mph restriction is indefensible, but I agree with AH about some of the money-making that goes on in the areas where 30mph limits change into 40mph and back again. Sometimes signing is poor and you can be driving in what is effectively open countryside, only to belatedly discover it's classed as a 30mph area. I know one local Police Force area was blatantly exploiting the situation, hiding in hedgerows and such like, trying to catch confused drivers. And that's because a member of a neighbouring Police Force told me!

I’ve been done for speeding in the past, I currently own a ‘fast’ car and it’s easy to exceed the limit without realising in modern day cars. I used to bomb about all over the place, in the past having managed to do trips like Nottingham to Plymouth in just over 3 hours.

However, more recently I’ve come to my senses, speeding on the roads today is not only life threatening but just pointless. You don’t really get anywhere any sooner that it will make a massive difference to your day or indeed life. No matter how good a driver you think you are, and I think I am, you cannot drive at excessive speeds on our roads without putting yourself or others at danger.

I do agree though that some of the speed limits could be a little more flexible, but obviously they are great revenue builders when it comes to unsuspecting speeders.

I travel to Norfolk a lot, and I can tell you now whether I just sit in traffic, chill out and average 40mph or try and overtake every opportunity doing 80 in a 60 when I can it still takes 3 hours regardless. At least if I’m not doing any overtaking I’m less likely to meet a AH coming in the other direction!

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Let's face it, doing 77mph in a 40mph restriction is indefensible, but I agree with AH about some of the money-making that goes on in the areas where 30mph limits change into 40mph and back again. Sometimes signing is poor and you can be driving in what is effectively open countryside, only to belatedly discover it's classed as a 30mph area. I know one local Police Force area was blatantly exploiting the situation, hiding in hedgerows and such like, trying to catch confused drivers. And that's because a member of a neighbouring Police Force told me!
    To be fair, where I am the vans are always really clearly marked, although they do seem to wait at a point just after the speed limit has reduced.

I don't have a problem if I'm honest - drive below the limit and you're fine, no matter where the police are hiding. There are places though where the limits can be confusing.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast