+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Entitled to

Entitled to

Been a bit of discussion recently about how United should expect to beat certain teams.

So I thought I'd ask in a thread on here who thinks we should expect to beat some teams based on who we are and little else

For my own part I think you have to earn your right to win football matches. No matter who you face.

Case in point is Livingston.

It's not simply a case of over a dozen teams in the championship and now premiership not turning up over a few matches each over the course of a season.

They earn their wins and deserve to be where they are despite their budget. No entitlement, they fight for the right to win.

And then there's us. Expectation is to win and we don't. Cause we don't earn it. As a club we seem to think we are above effort. It's like some expect the "natural order" bull**** to actually apply in reality.

What do you lot reckon?

I think you're talking nonsense as I think most know you have to earn the results, that's a given, for years we beat teams we should be by matching them for work rate then letting the quality shine through, im talking mainly when we played teams from the championship, we rarely ever suffered defeats to teams from a league below us, not the way the fun and others do fit example with regularity

We should be expecting to win the majority of games in this league and should expect not to be losing very often, given our size and stature, the reason our expectations (well some of our fans) have been lowered ridiculously is due to an utterly shyte manager in Csaba getting so long despite disgraceful, utterly disgraceful results for our club

How it was allowed to drag on so long is a failure on Mike Martin's part

Let's hope he rectifies it soon with his choice in manager and he doesn't let it drag on too long

Quote Originally Posted by shedka View Post
    I think you're talking nonsense as I think most know you have to earn the results, that's a given, for years we beat teams we should be by matching them for work rate then letting the quality shine through, im talking mainly when we played teams from the championship, we rarely ever suffered defeats to teams from a league below us, not the way the fun and others do fit example with regularity

We should be expecting to win the majority of games in this league and should expect not to be losing very often, given our size and stature, the reason our expectations (well some of our fans) have been lowered ridiculously is due to an utterly shyte manager in Csaba getting so long despite disgraceful, utterly disgraceful results for our club

How it was allowed to drag on so long is a failure on Mike Martin's part

Let's hope he rectifies it soon with his choice in manager and he doesn't let it drag on too long
    I appreciate you're points.

How do you account for a Livingston? Most expect to beat but don't. Can't all be coincidence. They must play a role.

To a degree, I disagree. As a season ticketholder since the early 80's. I have never experienced so many Arabs recognising we are rubbish. But also understanding that we shouldn't be where we are. And not from a sense of entitlement or natural order. The question is how did we get here? And if you cannae understand how did it come to this, then it will always be why? I do expect United tae gub poor teams, I expect the players wearing tangerine to care as much as I do. I expect them to fight tooth and nail wearing that top? Is that too much tae ask? I got telt I wiznae tall enough, and I would still lay blood for that club. These players need to understand the privilege they have.

no expectation to beat anyone - to be honest ever. Expect to be battling more than we have in last few years though.

See you at Ayr tomorrow Frank?

A sense of entitlement is pervasive right through society in the UK these days. It's horrible but it's there.

What, like a giro? 😀😀

Quote Originally Posted by shedruleyabasx View Post
    no expectation to beat anyone - to be honest ever. Expect to be battling more than we have in last few years though.

See you at Ayr tomorrow Frank?
    Sadly I'm at the Dunhill all day tomorrow. My wife's son is taking us. I'll be listening into arabzone though.

Hope they have a burger van.

Or should I say: I should be getting a burger from a van tomorrow. Im the 6th biggest burger eater in the country. I expect a burger 😉
    Last edited by PortugueseFrank; 05-10-2018 at 10:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    A sense of entitlement is pervasive right through society in the UK these days. It's horrible but it's there.
    It's a tough one. We should never expect to be beating teams around us simply because we are Dundee United but because we are Dundee United we should be able to provide the resources and the power to do exactly that in this league.
    The problem as we all know has been bad management and until that has been turned around we remain where we are. Let's see if Mike Martin and the Board can change things up. Still early days but we have to get a good manager this time.

Quote Originally Posted by PortugueseFrank View Post
    Sadly I'm at the Dunhill all day tomorrow. My wife's son is taking us. I'll be listening into arabzone though.

Hope they have a burger van.
    you know me too well Frank I also hope Ayr has a burger van

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)